PDA

View Full Version : Prepairning for a thru hike?

Suckerfish
05-13-2012, 19:28
I am sure there are 1,000s of post on this topic, I recently joined this forum and my hiking experience only consists of section hikes in Georgia along the AT.

My equipment is a patch work of stuff I have either had given to me or I picked up at either REI, special outdoor stores, and yes some even from Wal-mart. I am looking at planning a thru hike in 2014 and I just feel completly overwhelmed. I don't even know where to begin or where to start.

I am planning to hike the AT in 2014 and this year and next I plan the following:

Doing a 4 day hike from Springer to Mountain Crossings then another hike at another time from there up to the NOC.

I would like to do the entire 70 miles in georgia. I figured the most I would be hiking would be 7-10 days before resupplying in a town somewhere.

Then the final test possibly a hike through the smokeys

Physical prepairation: I am 39 turning 40 on Halloween and I have been doing 8-12 mile day hikes with only water and food in my pack, very little weight. I also bike to work 3 days a week (12 miles round trip). Suggestions from you all would be helpful as to what you did to get physically in shape. I am 5'11 and weigh 205 lbs. I have always been in good physical shape however I know my age will show on my bones when I start this journey.

Equipment
I know I need to dump everything I currently own and purchase everything I need. I currently have a peak 1 cobra tent I bought in 1998 and have used it alot since, the seams are still in great shape however the rainfly sucks in hard rains, the tent with 1 pole and rainfly weighs 4lbs.

My sleeping bag is, get this, an accent from outdoor products, my girlfriend bought the bags brand new in 1980. Honestly this bag has held up well, I camped overnight in the smokey's last year, the night temp was 27 and i stayed warm all night. However this bag feels heavy and doesnt stuff well.

Financing the trip:
This is probably the biggest challenge of all in my opinion. How much money will I need to do an entire hike? Hostels, food supply, misc. and so forth.

I appologize in advance for any typos and the rambling. I have hiked about 200 miles over the last 4 years along the AT in Georgia and parts of NC and smokeys. The longest hike I have done is a 3 day hike.

Thanks if anyone even reads this...

bigcranky
05-13-2012, 19:57
There is a lot of good information on this site. It sounds like you have a great plan -- to add to your ideas, go do the hike from Springer to Mountain Crossings *with your current gear*, then when you get there have them show you the specialized long distance hiking gear they sell. High quality down bags, extremely light tents, clothing, etc. After 4 days of hiking, you'll be in a good place to understand the differences. You won't necessarily have to buy it all there (though that's a fine idea), but you'll have a lot of ideas for later on.

Try your best to have $5000 put aside for the hike, not including gear or any expenses back home. You might not spend it all, but you'll be glad you have a decent budget (and you can always use more money when you get home....)

Spokes
05-13-2012, 20:05
Here's a good start:
10 page article in Backpacker Magazine on hiking the AT. Gives a great summary of each of the major sections and how to prepare (ignore the pop-ups).
http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530

Here's a tried and true gear list from pack guru Winton Porter. It yields a 16-18 lb. base weight cold weather pack. Trim for summer to go even lighter. Gloves and beanie hat are givens. Be sure to use a trash compactor bag for a pack liner and throw in a 100 weight fleece jacket if you're cold natured. Again skip the pop-up.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Oh, and also head over to the ATC webpage for more info:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking

Cheers!

Suckerfish
05-13-2012, 21:00
Thanks so much for the reply, I will do just that. I just finished reading Winton's book "Just Passin Thru" and honestly feel as though I can trust him and his staff.

4shot
05-13-2012, 21:06
the best piece of advice...find a way to meet people who have thruhiked (hiking get-togethers, at the better outfitters, through this board,etc.) and meet face to face with them.For the most part, they will be glad to share advice, answer questions, etc.I did look at this board and the other (defunct) AT site but there is a tremendous amount of conflicting opinions which can be a bit overwhelming.The face to face meetings seemed to clarify things a great deal plus you have a bit more confidence that you are getting advice from someone who has hiked the 2100+ miles. To be frank, I am a bit skeptical about some of the advice offered anonymously here on the internet (yes, I realize the irony in this as I type it).The gear isn't as important as most potential thru hikers might think - what is critical to completing the hike is that you have the determination and the budget to finish. After you get to Fontana, you will have mastered any skills necessary to finish the hike.

Datto
05-13-2012, 21:11
You're likely in way better physical shape than most people who start the AT being that you actually get out and hike and you ride a bicycle to work.

If I was you I would do focus on doing these four things between now and when you start your AT thru-hike in 2014:

1) During 2012 and 2013, hike 10 times for a Friday and Saturday overnight where the weather is raining or snowing or just plain bad and carry all of your existing gear that you would take with you on your AT thru-hike if that thru-hike was happening today. That will give you a sense of what AT thru-hiking is about for the southern 1/3 of your AT thru-hike and will help you analyze what to eliminate from your backpack. The purpose of this is to get you mentally ready for the AT which is, by far, the biggest challenge. You'll also get a feel for what it is like to hike in rain and snow for more than one day which, over time of doing so, will be immensely helpful to you if you do hike the AT in 2014 or if you decide it's not for you prior to spending a bunch of money and time on an AT thru-hike.

2) Go on two 7-day or longer AT hikes for 2012 and two 7-day or longer AT hikes for 2013 and carry your full backpack each time -- plan to hike 8-10 mile days each day but every day of each of the trips. Take whatever weather comes your way.

3) Get your finances in order such that you have a free $5,000 in cash (not on credit cards) available to you to use how you wish on your AT thru-hike.

4) Get your relationships (parents, siblings, children, girlfriend, wife, close friends, supervisor) going well as best as you can before you start your AT thru-hike.

Datto

Datto
05-13-2012, 21:17
Also, but not so much for preparation but rather what you might expect -- you can review my Datto's AT Thru-hiking Tips found at this link:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?181-Datto-s-AT-Thru-Hiking-Tips

Datto