PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant or B&B Question: The Best Place on the AT to Get _____ is at ______.

WIAPilot
05-14-2012, 06:14
The best place on the AT to get pie is ______?

The best place on the AT to get fried chicken is _______?

The best place on the AT to get BBQ is _______?

The best place on the AT to get steak is ________?

Feel free to add your own favorite. In the meanwhile, can someone help me out with the above?

Firefighter503
05-14-2012, 09:27
The best place on the AT to get breakfast is Mountain Harbor B&B in Roan TN. That will be a must stay place for me whenever I am in that area hiking.

fredmugs
05-14-2012, 09:37
Philly cheese steak and fries - The Doyle
Chinese Buffet - Waynesboro, VA (don't remember the name)

Cookerhiker
05-14-2012, 11:32
Good BBQ at this place I came upon last year. The WB post as the link to their website: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72094-New-BBQ-Restaurant-near-Caledonia-PA&highlight=

Slo-go'en
05-14-2012, 13:13
Smokie Mountain Brewery in Gatlinburg has great steaks - and microbrews made on premis.

I hope I can finally stop by The "Home Place" in Cataba (VA) and find them open this year, everyone raves about it. I always seem to pass by there when thier closed :(

But really, after a few weeks on the trail, any place you happen to be that serves food is the best at that moment.

max patch
05-14-2012, 13:14
All food on the trail is good - I hate to admit it but I loved the Pizza Hut is Erwin and the Shoneys breakfast bar somewhere near the SNP - but the 3 places that stand out for a great meal and are worth visiting even if you drive there on vacation are the Homeplace (that answers your fried chicken question) the Inn on the Long Trail and the much too close Mt Meadows Lodge (these last 2 places should be farther apart).

Blissful
05-14-2012, 19:04
Homeplace for chicken and good eats

yellowsirocco
05-14-2012, 19:41
Woodstock Inn Station and Brewary in North Woodstock, NH has a very good Sunday brunch.

Dirty Nails
05-14-2012, 23:15
I enjoyed the Homeplace so much that when I got to Daleville, I checked in to the HoJo's, rented a car, and drove back down there for another visit. I shared a table with an English dude who was on a long bicycling trip. We had a great time. I think it's the best fried chicken I ever had.

Dirty Nails
05-14-2012, 23:33
The best hiker feed/trail magic is put on by Saint Ann, Loon, and friends on Memorial Day weekend. Here's some info for this year. It was one of the most impressive surprises on my hike a couple of years ago. The good will inspired me to extend some trail magic of my own when I got home!
Try not to miss this:
DATE : Mothers day May 13th 2012
TIME: 2-7pm

Where: At Craigs Springs north of Niday shelter as you go north

SECOND FEED
DATE: Memorial Day Weekend Saturday May 26th 2012 and Sunday May 27th 2012
TIME: 2-7 OR SO
WHERE: at Thunder Hill Shelter….
We invite any and all to either one of the hiker feeds and we know if you can’t make it you will send good energy to the hikers on the trail and or figure out a way to do some trail magic in your neck of the woods…
If you are at all interested in finding your way here and are from out of town we will help you any way we can with coming…
Local trail angels please give a holler to say if you can come or not…
We need to start planning who will bring what…
Hope to see you there!
Peace and cheers,
TAFOL(trail angel friends of Loon)

Ann Mary Roberts, Ph.D.

Email: [email protected]

WIAPilot
05-14-2012, 23:48
I enjoyed the Homeplace so much that when I got to Daleville, I checked in to the HoJo's, rented a car, and drove back down there for another visit. I shared a table with an English dude who was on a long bicycling trip. We had a great time. I think it's the best fried chicken I ever had.

Renting a car to return to a restaurant? LOL Too cool!!

Doc
05-15-2012, 06:18
The BBQ in Monson is excellent and rather unusual because it is the north. I think they may have some kin in Texas or Arkansas.

Meg Wilson Author
05-15-2012, 06:27
The best place on the AT to get BBQ is _______?

MONSON, MAINE - the newest official "Trail Town" has Spring Creek BBQ. Don't miss Mike's pulled pork or Kim's Thai Noodles. Desserts are to trade your pack for, and it's BYOB if you want to share a 6-pack and save some money.

Rockie
05-15-2012, 22:37
I had to get off the trail and spent last night at the Rite Spot and ate take -out tonight from Leroy's. It was fabulous and I will be taking all the leftovers with me in my pack when I get back on tomorrow. The owners are very nice and the homemade lemonade is the best I've ever had. They love hikers and their stories. I promised I'd spread the word...so pass it on and tell them the lady hiker who lost her dog sent you.