PDA

View Full Version : HIGH Milage day

Bearleg
05-14-2012, 10:29
I just read on trailjournals.com of a thru-hiker "Bomber" of posted on May 9th that he did about 62 miles in 27 hours while passing through Pa. is this common, for a thru hiker to put in the mile while carring a pack. i understand some may do this while slack packing or who speed hike with a crew.

Bearleg
05-14-2012, 10:31
I also wanted to congradulate Bomber for this achievement, and may he seek his goal.

WIAPilot
05-14-2012, 10:33
Wow. That's some serious mileage.

Deadeye
05-14-2012, 10:35
62 miles in 27 hours common? No.

Spirit Walker
05-14-2012, 12:24
Common - no. By PA most thruhikers are regularly doing 20 mile days, but most don't do a lot more than that except occasionally. The mileage drops down again in New England. It depends on how fast you walk, how well your legs and feet hold up to big miles, whether the heat is affecting your ability to hike, what goals you have, etc. The average for the whole trail for most thruhikers is generally about 10-15 miles a day.

Spirit Walker
05-14-2012, 12:25
Often when hikers do really high mileage, they follow it with two or three days off, bringing the average way down. But it can be fun to challenge yourself occasionally.

lemon b
05-14-2012, 13:24
62 miles is behond my comprehension.

garlic08
05-14-2012, 15:40
A big question is how much did he hike in the next 24 hrs? The four-state challenge, 44 miles in one day near Harpers Ferry, is more common. I've met hikers pushing 50-mile days up north. All those I met were taking a zero afterwards, though, and I would pass them on the second day. My longest AT day was 29 (plus a couple off-trail miles to get dinner), but that was just the longest in a string of 20+ mile days, when I was routinely walking 100 miles every four days. I believe in consistency, but I respect those long days, too. 62 is pretty incredible--I guess that's a metric century!

Odd Man Out
05-14-2012, 18:24
Often when hikers do really high mileage, they follow it with two or three days off, bringing the average way down. But it can be fun to challenge yourself occasionally.

Pharr-Davis did 60 miles on day 46! But then only did 36 miles the next day and quit by mid afternoon (only because she ran out of trail).

rjjones
05-14-2012, 18:56
62 miles is alot of miles,but,how do you hike for 27hrs.Or should i say why would you hike for 27 hrs?He must be young!;)

Blissful
05-14-2012, 19:10
I met Bomber in Harper's Ferry, he said he wanted to catch up to some hikers.

Blissful
05-14-2012, 19:12
CT is another big mile challenge to do in one day.

pyroman9
07-14-2012, 00:50
Hey there guys... This is Bomber!!!

It is hilarious to see all these post mentioning me, I am having a blast finding them!

So the 62.4 mile day... i suppose I can fill you in.

I started at 0600 and started at Quarry Gap Shelter. Metro North had just completed at 52 mile day the previous day. I was motivated and wanted to see what I could do. This was a challenge for myself, to test just how far can I mentally and physically push my body. PS I am 24 and in good shape. I hiked with Metro North and JackRabbit all day. We hike the Half Gallon Challenge (Closed) so we hiked to the general store 8 miles north. By that time it was 7pm at night (about 27 miles down). It was also raining. We got subs and relaxed for a few. I had told them I was thinking of going to Duncannon that night, but it was still over 30 miles away, they laughed. I decided I was serious about it... so I headed off, it was still raining lightly. By the time I got to the rock mazes it was dark, what a experience in the dark! I made it to Boiling Springs around 11pm and pushed off to Duncannon. The fields were very muddy and wet making it hard. I did not sleep at all nor did I stop to often. About every 2 hours I stopped and took off my socks and rang them out, then i would massage my feet to keep the pain down. I made it to duncannon around 9am. I hiked for 26-27 hours straight without sleep. Total 62.4 miles. I took the rest of the day off. The next day (the 11th) I did 24 miles and hiked with Nor'Easter and Pa Bert.

The long day made me push myself way past my comfort zone, I was very proud of myself. It was very hard and somewhat painful for my feet, but it went away quickly.

Hope you enjoyed reading about it!
Bomber!

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 00:56
Holy cow man, what a testament to the human body, great job. I'd like to try walking for 24 hrs. sometime, no pack just walking to see how far I can get, no where near ready for something like that tough, one day maybe. as long as there's ice cream at the end. hehe LOL.

pyroman9
07-14-2012, 01:03
forget the ice cream... i got a great warm bed to myself so i could go to SLEEP (trail angel in duncannon)!!! AMAZING!!!

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 01:15
forget the ice cream... i got a great warm bed to myself so i could go to SLEEP (trail angel in duncannon)!!! AMAZING!!!I walk 10 miles and I'm out of commission for about a week,LOL it's heck getting old, glad you have your health. that's everything, wished i'd learned that one sooner in life.:)and still it's all good!

poloaa009
07-14-2012, 05:02
Common - no. By PA most thruhikers are regularly doing 20 mile days, but most don't do a lot more than that except occasionally.
http://www.free-coupon-codes.info/lol/ap.jpg
http://www.free-coupon-codes.info/non/or.jpg