PDA

View Full Version : The Family from the North

Easyhiker
12-21-2002, 23:32
What is your opinion of this hike? Do you think this was the right thing for the children? Is the trail the right place for kids to be with out their say?

stranger
12-22-2002, 02:19
I sometimes wonder when parent's take their children out on the trail how much of a joint decision it actually is. I think it's the parent's idea for the most part...and kids look up to their parents so naturally want to come along. It's probably not the best environment for children, although what is these days? They can get shot in their own school.

wacocelt
12-22-2002, 06:35
I have the sincere privelege of having hiked on and off with The Family from just north of the Kennebec down to Gorham. They were happy, healthy and some of the most wonderful people I have ever met. They may not live the way we are told we're suppose to by what ever unwritten doctrine or agenda has been set before us, but I know that they are true to themselves and to the people they come in contact with.
I think it's a shame that more families aren't capable of letting go just a bit more and realizing what and where thier current path is taking them.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2002, 14:38
A couple of years ago on Trailplace, Wingfoot and others totally SLAMMED the family. He said they didn't belong on the trail, they were using people as they made their way down the trail, etc.,etc.
And he admitted to never meeting them.

SGT Rock
12-22-2002, 14:52
Now that you mention that, I remember it. There were a lot of people that never met them trashing them and it seemes if I remember it, everyone that had met them were very supportive.

I'd like to meet them. It seems not much different than home schooling, just a better location to do it in LOL. As long as they weren't trying to impose on other's hikes, the more power to them. It's what makes this country srong. At least they won't get stoned to death here.

wacocelt
12-22-2002, 15:41
Many, many people went out of thier way to help the family on thier journey south, but not once did I ever see them ask for help of any kind. They were always sincerely polite and caring about everyone around them. All around great people who, through the simple life style they choose to live, were not, nor will they probably ever be understood by todays society.

EarlyRiser
12-22-2002, 16:29
well i guess being one of the youngest representatives on this board i should say somthing about my opinions of taking children on the trail. i would have loved to have had the experiance to have been takin on the trail through my childhood. i dont see it as anything but a mind opening experiance for any child. i think it would encourage thoughtfull thinking about the environment and modern culture. kids today dont appreciate the outdoors anywhere near as much as they did not even ten years ago. when i was a young child i remember going out every evening to play in what little woods there were near my house in the suburbs. today youd be lucky to see a child out of doors after school. there are so many modern electronic distractions that keep kids inside and their minds closed. i recognize that some vidio games and television and things like that do provide some education and valuable learning experiances, but the truth is, most dont. the entertainment industry has grown increasingly vulgar, with increasing levels of sex and violence every day. i think its much better to take your kids out and show them the real world, a world kids are losing contact with. ofcourse there is a line, pushing children too hard isnt a good thing, but i highly doubt this family did that, although i know very little of their hike. i believe they had the right idea to take their kids on a hike though. there is much to learn about life and the way people are on a hike, whether its a day hike or a thru hike. im sure your kids will appreciate it in the future if you take them out hiking now and give them experiances they will never forget. perhaps they will catch the bug too.

PushingDaisies
12-22-2002, 19:09
From what I heard about this family, the kids pushed the parents, not the other way around. The kids would hike for hours on their own and wait up for their parents at different points on the trail.

There were several hostels owners that mentioned them on my hike this year. They said that they would watch out for them, to make sure the kids were ok. But the kids were doing better than the parents and having a great time.

There were several families thru-hiking the trail this year as well. The two that I met were very considerate of their kids input on how far they wanted to go, and stops they wanted to make. There seemed to be a lot of communication between the kids and parents. It was great to listen to them talk to each other.

Kids are more resilient than people give them credit for. Yes, they can't carry all the gear that they need, so their parents have to take on a little extra gear.

When families go on a long hike like this, suddenly a lot of people raise their voices in protest. But these kids were at a similar age to when Scouting groups start taking kids backpacking. Yeah, scouting groups don't go out for months at a time, but I have heard that most people try to think of a thru hike as a series of section hikes that are one after another anyway.

Lugnut
12-22-2002, 22:38
Most of what I heard was that they "bummed" their way along the trail. It's nice to get some positive perspective of them!

Lone Wolf
12-23-2002, 05:19
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Joel Rash
02-03-2003, 17:57
I was lucky enough to meet the Family and spend a couple days with them just as they were finishing their hike in 2001. Having read the lies about them on-line for the previous months I was amazed at how down-to-earth, sincere and loving the parents were and how smart, self-sufficient and wonderful the kids were. We could only hope to have more like them around.

Funny thing was there was thruhiker from my town that year whose wife was typing up his journal and sending copies of them around to friends. My mom got a copy and passed them on to me. This guy was wondering if someone should call child protective services, making claims that the children were half-starving and all frozen, and had his family and friends here praying for the kids safety. Not surprisingly, he'd never met or seen the Family, he just had it on good information what was going on.

Just one more reason to hike your own hike, Joel From Flint

genetic claybuilding
10-24-2010, 12:01
Any update on what happened to these folks? I'm reading the Barefoot Sisters book Southbound, when they hiked with them in 2000-01.

TrailSquirrel
10-24-2010, 12:24
What is your opinion of this hike? Do you think this was the right thing for the children? Is the trail the right place for kids to be with out their say?

Sounds like a great adventure. Turn the time machine back a few hundred years and how are the living conditions substantially different?

TrailSquirrel
10-24-2010, 12:27
Sounds like a great adventure. Turn the time machine back a few hundred years and how are the living conditions substantially different?

didn't see that this thread was originally from 2002

gumball
10-24-2010, 18:41
Any update on what happened to these folks? I'm reading the Barefoot Sisters book Southbound, when they hiked with them in 2000-01.

I just read this book a few weeks ago--kind of long, but I thought it was interesting. Going to read the follow up book in a few weeks.

Kerosene
10-24-2010, 19:59
I'm 40 pages from the end of Walking Home, the sequel to Southbound by The Barefoot Sisters. I really enjoy their writing style and the way they pass the baton back and forth.

WILLIAM HAYES
10-24-2010, 20:08
i think its great my father introduced me to the outdoors when i was very young i still have good memories about the times we had -each to their own as long as they hike their own hike

walkin' wally
10-25-2010, 10:49

I think in the Barefoot Sister's book Walking Home they said the family was living in the Carribbean, at that time.

shortcut2002
07-28-2011, 17:16
My Family was the Family from the North... my trail name was Shortcut. I hiked with my whole family mom dad baby sister two step brothers and step sister. I was only eight then so all the details are a little fuzzy but at the time I hated it however looking back now at 18 years of age I am proud to have hiked the AT thru. I am really wanting to get information on our family and the hike now that my parents are split we dont talk about it. If anyone has documents or articles about our family hike that would be great. And in respone to some of the upove comments us kids didnt have a say, we all hated it. We where hungry all day and during the winter we froze, the first cold night by boots actually froze and the next morning I had to wear them until they thawed. Their where times that felt like hell but like i said im glad that I have had that experience. And at some point would love to do some section hiking.

Blissful
07-28-2011, 19:47
My Family was the Family from the North... my trail name was Shortcut. I hiked with my whole family mom dad baby sister two step brothers and step sister. I was only eight then so all the details are a little fuzzy but at the time I hated it however looking back now at 18 years of age I am proud to have hiked the AT thru. I am really wanting to get information on our family and the hike now that my parents are split we dont talk about it. If anyone has documents or articles about our family hike that would be great. And in respone to some of the upove comments us kids didnt have a say, we all hated it. We where hungry all day and during the winter we froze, the first cold night by boots actually froze and the next morning I had to wear them until they thawed. Their where times that felt like hell but like i said im glad that I have had that experience. And at some point would love to do some section hiking.

Wow this is really neat. Thanks for sharing

DLANOIE
07-28-2011, 21:57
Holy cow! What a story, so you hated it huh? What else do you remember about the hike?

TNjed
07-28-2011, 22:05
Man!!! I was wondering what happened to ya'll, thats nuts. I read about your family in the Barefoot Sisters' book

Driver8
07-28-2011, 23:53
My Family was the Family from the North... my trail name was Shortcut.

Have you read what the Barefoot Sisters wrote about your and their hike together? They would love to hear from you, I'm sure. If you have access to Facebook, Jackrabbit can be found there - I traded a couple messages with her while I read the books. (If you need help finding her, you can PM me if you like.) It sounded like y'all were in awful peril in the big blizzard in the Grayson Highlands - I'm glad you made it through.

Just know that, to a lot of hikers, you and your family are legends. There's a lot of admirers of you and yours out there, a lot of doors open if you want them to be.

Best regards,

Driver 8

Jack Tarlin
07-29-2011, 21:40
I find it kind of interesting that many years ago, in discussing these people, here on Whiteblaze and elsewhere, certain folks posited on the wisdom of the hike, the preparedness of the participants, their concerns over the health and well-being of the children, etc. It was said on more than one occasion that based on eyewitness accounts and perceptions from people who actually hiked with these guys or spent time with them, there were some health/safety issues, and on many occasions, the children, who had no real say in their participation, were often indeed cold, wet, and miserable. Those of us who felt this way and spoke about it were essentially told we were wrong and to mind our own business; we were further told our perceptions were wrong and that our fears and concerns were groundless. Very interesting to discover that those of us who felt that the kids were hungry and exhausted during the day and cold and unhappy all night (See Post #19 above) have essentially been vindicated. That the participants in this trip may look back on it now in a positive light is fine. But were they happy at the time and was this a good place for such young children? The answer is pretty obviously no, and some of us saw this at the time.

MuddyWaters
08-03-2011, 00:37
Too many people in this world concern themselves with things they shouldnt. We have kids taken away from parents because they swat them on the behind when they act up in a store and it is caught on camera. I have a great respect for people that live their lives outside of our cookie-cutter norms. People that home-school their kids, raise them on boats while cruising the world, or even hiking the AT is to be applauded. There is danger in everything we do. Statistically, the most dangerous thing people do is get in a car and drive everyday. But no one jumps on everyone for taking kids for car rides, or spending too much time in the car. I have seen kids get seriously injured playing sports, fractured skulls, broken bones, even broken neck. No one wanted to take those kids away because even though highly hazardous, it is an accepted risk to most. Paradoxically, going hiking doesnt seem to be.

nathan2
08-03-2011, 09:29
I've resigned from the debating society on this one and those like it. To me they're just characters in a book. I've never met them in person, so I don't believe I have a right to play critic or supporter of their decisions. When they ask for my opinion, then I'll form one :)

Carl in FL
08-03-2011, 14:19
Has anyone validated the poster who claims to be part of "The Family from the North"?
The way things are today, the poster could be funning with us.

birchy
08-04-2011, 06:50

There it is straight from the horses mouth.

zanagirl2271
06-14-2013, 10:10
I am Zero; I am the mother of the Family from the North. I want to first of all thank every one who said positive things about us on this site. I also want to thank any one who helped us with our thru hike. The negative things that were said were by people who never met us. I as a mother look back on that experience and with mixed emotions. It was the hardest thing I have ever done; that's saying a lot because I have done some pretty hard things in my life! There were times during that hike that I wanted to run away from it; I wanted to escape the hell I felt we were in. I won't go into detail about what led us to that hike but it wasn't for fun; it was our only way out of a situation we were in due to someone else's beliefs and feelings. We hiked that trail to make a better life for our kids. You can believe what you want about us but know that we did what we did because we felt it was the best option. So many years later, we are none the worse for it either. All of the children are healthy and happy and well adjusted. The young lady above, Short Cut is indeed the girl who was seven at the time. She did hate it as did the rest of us. She is now 20; in her second year of college as a Dental Hygienist; has been employed and working hard since she was 14. She has travelled to London and plans another trip in the next year to Spain. The baby, Easy Rider, is now 14. She makes mostly all A's in middle school and is highly independant, social and happy. The oldest girl is now 22, a mother of a one and a half year old and is in her third year of college and studying Biology to become a teacher. The two older boys are working and living dependant, responsible lives. One in his birthplace of Hawaii and the other in the town he grew up in with his dad. We went on to have a baby boy who was born a year or so after completing the trail. He was born in Hawaii and is now almost 11. Bright and funny and smart; creative and sweet. I am a licensed daycare provider and have been for over 7 years. I am very dedicated to the health and well being of children in general. The father and I divorced years ago due to different opinions and beliefs. I say all of this because you never know what someone has to face or what battle they are going through. That hike made every one of us who we are today and I know in my heart, we helped those we came in contact with. I will forever remember that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to because I did that hike. When you judge us for what we did, you are casting negativity and that is never a good thing. Ask any questions you want but don't form opinions without facts. God judges and God sees and we answer only to Him.

Grits
06-14-2013, 13:10
I am Zero; I am the mother of the Family from the North. I want to first of all thank every one who said positive things about us on this site. I also want to thank any one who helped us with our thru hike. The negative things that were said were by people who never met us. I as a mother look back on that experience and with mixed emotions. It was the hardest thing I have ever done; that's saying a lot because I have done some pretty hard things in my life! There were times during that hike that I wanted to run away from it; I wanted to escape the hell I felt we were in. I won't go into detail about what led us to that hike but it wasn't for fun; it was our only way out of a situation we were in due to someone else's beliefs and feelings. We hiked that trail to make a better life for our kids. You can believe what you want about us but know that we did what we did because we felt it was the best option. So many years later, we are none the worse for it either. All of the children are healthy and happy and well adjusted. The young lady above, Short Cut is indeed the girl who was seven at the time. She did hate it as did the rest of us. She is now 20; in her second year of college as a Dental Hygienist; has been employed and working hard since she was 14. She has travelled to London and plans another trip in the next year to Spain. The baby, Easy Rider, is now 14. She makes mostly all A's in middle school and is highly independant, social and happy. The oldest girl is now 22, a mother of a one and a half year old and is in her third year of college and studying Biology to become a teacher. The two older boys are working and living dependant, responsible lives. One in his birthplace of Hawaii and the other in the town he grew up in with his dad. We went on to have a baby boy who was born a year or so after completing the trail. He was born in Hawaii and is now almost 11. Bright and funny and smart; creative and sweet. I am a licensed daycare provider and have been for over 7 years. I am very dedicated to the health and well being of children in general. The father and I divorced years ago due to different opinions and beliefs. I say all of this because you never know what someone has to face or what battle they are going through. That hike made every one of us who we are today and I know in my heart, we helped those we came in contact with. I will forever remember that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to because I did that hike. When you judge us for what we did, you are casting negativity and that is never a good thing. Ask any questions you want but don't form opinions without facts. God judges and God sees and we answer only to Him.

Congratulations on a job well done raising your children and it sounds like they are high energy can do people. :) I hope you are are considering writing a book of your hike?????

Datto
06-14-2013, 13:52
I talked more with Hope more than the other members of the Family From The North when I'd met up with them one night in Vermont, just south of Hanover, New Hampshire. Hope was a pretty impressive kid if you ask me. A great, positive attitude.

This is what I wrote the day I met the Family From The North on my AT thru-hike.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destination: Happy Hill Shelter

Starting Location: Vermont Route 12

Today's Miles: 16.60

Trip Miles: 1728.10

September 3 - Happy Hill Shelter ... in Vermont-New Hampshire

Milepoint 1719.2, 147 days since start of hike, averaging 11.7 miles per day

"You gotta look forward to it. You can't think about the hills. You gotta think about something else. Next thing you know you're at the top of the hill!"

-- Hope, Age 9

-- Member of 'The Family From Up North'

-- A family of seven thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail southbound

I beat my own hitchhiking record this morning. I wasn't even out of the woods yet and as I approached the road ahead I put my thumb up above the height of the adjacent weeds. A driver saw my thumb, looked down the Trail at me as he passed and pulled over to the side of the road waiting for me to come out of the woods.

"You can't think about it. You just have to stick out your thumb and believe someone will be there. Next thing you know, there's a car waiting to give you a ride."

-- Datto

-- Chief of the Wet-Napster Tribe

-- Thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail northbound

When I got into the car, the driver said he and his wife were heading out for their morning run when they saw my thumb. The driver then asked, "Where'd you start?"

Of course I said, "Georgia."

The driver turned to look at me and said, "Well you sure look fit!"

Ha, I guess I do at that.

So fit that I am going to eat 1100 calories of Chocolate Haagen-Daz at the General Store a mile down this road.

The return hitchhike after the Haagen-Dazs took two minutes to get a ride back to the Trail.

Later in the day I walked into the Trail town of West Hartford, Vermont. Along the road was a barn with painted words on the siding saying, "Leslie Marry Me!"

I investigated, asking a few of the locals about the proposal.

It seems no one knows what happened to the guy who painted his proposal on the side of that barn. Evidently the lucky woman never saw the proposal and the guy moved away. I guess they didn't believe enough.

Heading out of town, some locals told me, "Wicked hills coming up."

Does that mean right now or was he talking about The White Mountains ahead?

I guess he meant Happy Hill, with happy trees and happy southbound thru-hikers at the Happy Hill Shelter.

Well with all this happiness it was time for a meeting of The Spoons. An extra place was set for Cypress Knee and the southbounders agreed to carry on the tradition as they headed south.

Tonight I first heard of two southbounders from Indiana hiking the Appalachian Trail this year.

We are everywhere. Resistance is futile.

-Datto

chiefduffy
06-15-2013, 05:43
Zero, thank you for posting. I, and many others, have often wondered about and prayed for your family.
- Duffy

illabelle
06-16-2013, 17:42
Zero, thank you for posting. I, and many others, have often wondered about and prayed for your family.
- Duffy

Yes, thank you very much for the update! I am halfway through the second Barefoot Sisters book. The sisters have many times expressed their love and concern for your family, Zero. I wish the best for you.

I do have mixed feelings about the whole situation, but not because of the journey. I don't believe the trail itself is unsafe for children. And it's obvious the parents loved their children and made the decisions they felt were right. So good to hear that the children have done well!

However, I once knew a family who lived alternately in a tent and on a boat. The children were often hungry. I lost touch with them for 25 years, until one day I saw them in the news. Nine of them dead, the father arrested, very ugly story. The thing that makes me uneasy is the isolation of the children from the society they must one day join. Parents who isolate their children arouse my suspicions. If someone, especially a child, does not feel they can reach out for help, it can be very hard to escape.

Odd Man Out
06-16-2013, 20:10
...I do have mixed feelings about the whole situation, but not because of the journey.... The thing that makes me uneasy is the isolation of the children from the society they must one day join. Parents who isolate their children arouse my suspicions. If someone, especially a child, does not feel they can reach out for help, it can be very hard to escape.

I'm not sure. Watching Entertainment Tonight would lead me to believe that growing up rich, famous, and privileged is a much more effective way of messing up a childhood and creating a dysfunctional adult.

zanagirl2271
06-17-2013, 12:12
I wish I could remember all of the details of that journey. I did not keep a journal but sincerely wish I had!! I do not see a book in the future but I have read the Barefoot sister's books (actually have signed copies especially for us from them :) and I would welcome any and all accounts from hiker's who do have accurate details on file :)

zanagirl2271
06-17-2013, 12:13
I find this actually pretty funny; if you knew my children, you would never in a million years assume they didn't have whatever they needed at every phase of their childhood. They are amazing kids and I am extrememly proud of them.

zanagirl2271
06-17-2013, 12:15
Duffy, you are very welcome! Thank you so very much for your prayers. I am a strong believer in prayer and I know only by the Grace of God did we do what we did and still to this day we are protected by Faith :)

zanagirl2271
06-17-2013, 12:27
Grits, I am sorry to say, there will not be a book from me. I did not keep a journal and unfortunately do not recall many details from the hike. I do have special signed copies of the Barefoot sisters' books that are treasures. Thank you for your compliments and God Bless!!

Zero

zanagirl2271
06-17-2013, 12:39
illabelle,

You are welcome and thank you for your blessings. I feel extremely blessed and so loved and well taken care of. I agree with you regarding the safety of the trail for children and am sorry to hear about the family with nine kids. I know it is hard to not feel some aprehension when we see families behaving and living out of the norm. I will not defend the family you mentioned nor will I compare our family to them. Each family, just like each person, is different. The end result shows us what we need to know. I am happy to say that our end result was good and only by the grace of God and the generosity of other's. Our determination and our values lead us and God protected us. As a daycare provider, I work with children from every walk of life and believe me, it is not the ones isolated that are the only ones in danger. Kids in plain sight are also just as much in danger and need protection. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we all have a part in protecting children. I hope and pray that you will all do your part in whatever way God lays on your heart in providing kids with love, support, education, guidance and lead by example but do it with love in your heart and a true passion to see any child you come in contact with grow to be a fully functioning and productive person. Only then will you be able to look without judging and be a positive part of this whole of life.

zanagirl2271
06-17-2013, 12:41
Datto,

Thank you for such a wonderful account of Hope, Sisu 2's journey. She is a wonderful grown woman with a child of her own and is extememly dedicated and passionate about her college career, mother hood and life in general. I think she views life like she viewed the hike. She takes one day at a time and focuses on the end result. I, as her mother, could not be prouder of her; then and now, she continues to inspire me :)

Grits
06-18-2013, 06:52
Zero you have much Grace and Wisdom and I hope that you are hiking for fun now and that you stay part of the Whiteblaze community. Ps. 121

susiecruise
06-18-2013, 10:25
If you want to read about a wild family experience check out the article below. I find this both intriguing and haunting.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html

illabelle
06-18-2013, 11:03
If you want to read about a wild family experience check out the article below. I find this both intriguing and haunting.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html

Wow! Fascinating story! Thanks for posting, Susiecruise.

dtougas
06-18-2013, 22:21
This is all pretty interesting to read, considering that our family is planning on attempting a thru-hike in 2014. My kids will be 11, 13, and 15 when we start.

Grits
06-19-2013, 07:00
This is all pretty interesting to read, considering that our family is planning on attempting a thru-hike in 2014. My kids will be 11, 13, and 15 when we start.
You all will be fine, the Family of the North were able to finish the trail in good shape and follow Balls and Sunshine (father daughter team) on their adventures. They are on the CDC this year and here is a link to their 2012 AT Hike http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=364996

dtougas
06-19-2013, 07:41
You all will be fine, the Family of the North were able to finish the trail in good shape and follow Balls and Sunshine (father daughter team) on their adventures. They are on the CDC this year and here is a link to their 2012 AT Hike http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=364996

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am generally not too worried about it, but every so often when I read things about kids hating it, I hope that my kids don't hate every minute of it. I know there are a lot of factors involved in anyones enjoyment of the trail, so I just have t keep that in mind.

Feral Bill
06-19-2013, 13:20

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html I can't help but be suspicious of this story. Pretty implausible.

Water Rat
06-19-2013, 13:40

Hopefully they are not on the "CDC!" :D That might mean some horrible illness struck them! CDT would be a much better path to walk.

(sorry, I had to comment...)

Odd Man Out
06-19-2013, 13:57
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am generally not too worried about it, but every so often when I read things about kids hating it, I hope that my kids don't hate every minute of it. I know there are a lot of factors involved in anyones enjoyment of the trail, so I just have t keep that in mind.

I took my family to Europe. Went to lots of art galleries. They hated it. I guess I should have let them stay home an play video games. I am a bad father.

dtougas
06-19-2013, 14:09
I took my family to Europe. Went to lots of art galleries. They hated it. I guess I should have let them stay home an play video games. I am a bad father.

HA HA! OK, that made me laugh, thanks.

Feral Bill
06-19-2013, 14:23
When my children were small, I took the backpacking in grizzly (also cougar) country. They still do this. I am an even worse father.:confused:

Grits
06-19-2013, 17:57
Hopefully they are not on the "CDC!" :D That might mean some horrible illness struck them! CDT would be a much better path to walk.

(sorry, I had to comment...) :datzLOL good catch Water Rat

Water Rat
06-19-2013, 20:54
:datzLOL good catch Water Rat

It gave me a good giggle when I read it! :D

susiecruise
06-21-2013, 16:11
I can't help but be suspicious of this story. Pretty implausible.

Northface recently filmed a visit to the last remaining member of the family. I watch it on you tube the other day. They filmed it recently. My, you are a suspicious type.

Feral Bill
06-21-2013, 17:37
. My, you are a suspicious type.

Why, thank you:)

zanagirl2271
06-24-2013, 09:35
Grits,

Thank you but I am only full of God's grace and wisdom; I cannot claim it as my own :) I am not currently hiking and haven't for about ten years. After the trail we moved to Hawaii and hiked the Kalalau Trail frequently. I did hike through Mt. Charleston in Las Vegas a few years ago for a day hike. I love to hike and even though the trail was difficult under the circumstances, it instilled in me a great love of nature and all things around me. I live in flatland Kansas so the hikes are few and far between but the love of God's creations never leaves me...............