PDA

View Full Version : rock climbing?

Fetter
05-14-2012, 15:19
Does anyone know of some rock climbing/bouldering opportunities along the trail. Or perhaps an indoor gym in some of the towns?

rocketsocks
05-14-2012, 15:23
Grayson Highlands,though I've never been.

dale1627
05-14-2012, 16:42
I hiked Mount Rogers and through Grayson Highlands last week. I wished that I had my chalk bag and shoes several times.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

hikerboy57
05-14-2012, 16:48
NH has cathedral ledge and white horse ledge in conway, a little south of the AT.
an hour north of bear mt.,ny is the gunks, climbings great. across from Mt washington,NH theres a place called square ledge, that has about a dozen routes of varying difficulty

wookinpanub
05-14-2012, 16:49
Dragon's Tooth in Virginia. There were some climbers there when I went through.

fiddlehead
05-14-2012, 16:53
I remember some climbers in Connecticut, not sure where though exactly.
Also, near the AT in PA, not far from Dehart Dam there is some good climbing.

There is a good climbing gym that I go to when I'm in the states in Reading PA which is about 15 miles from Port Clinton
It is called "Cliffhangers"

johnnybgood
05-14-2012, 17:49
Old Rag Mountain which skirts the boundry of Shenandoah National Park has rock bouldering opportunities.

Veetack
05-14-2012, 18:07
When I was a kid my friends and I used to free climb Bears Den in Va about a mile south of Route 7.

Blissful
05-14-2012, 19:08
Come on over to Annapolis Rock in MD, right off the trail. Rock climbing there

Mr. Bumpy
05-14-2012, 20:00
There are some good problems that never get attention about a mile or two past Big Bald near Erwin. Grayson Highlands is full of stuff, including a sport climb right near the trail down to the state park. I've heard someone is working on a guide book to the area. Asheville and Brevard, NC both have climbing gyms, although neither could be considered a trail town.

I bet the people at NOC can hook you up if you asked there.

squirrel1
05-14-2012, 21:16
All kinds of good climbing along the AT in Maryland. Annapolis Rocks, Black Rocks, Raven Rocks. All around Harpers Ferry.

squirrel1
05-14-2012, 21:21
Also - Shaffer Rocks just into PA north of MD. Lots of great climbing there. Plus the Hermitage Cabin. And there are campsites right at Annapolis Rocks and Raven Rock. And one not too far from Black Rock.

rocketsocks
05-14-2012, 22:31
Delaware Water Gap,on either of the South facing walls that make up the Gap.As soon as you cross into NJ from PA,don't take the trail up "Dunfield creek" that continues the "AT",but continue south on Rt.80(about 300 yards) north bound side(Walk the wall)and to your left follow the trail up,all along the base of those cliffs people climb/repel.Lots of (rotty) rock that is subjected to freeze/thaw,so beware of falling rock.PA side offers climbs as well.Traveling north on the "AT" don't cross river,follow road (Rt.80)south,south bound side....maybe 1/2 mile on right heading south.You'll pass a cave known as "Cold Air Cave" that blows cold air all summer long and is quite a refresher in the hot summer.

Fetter
05-15-2012, 20:42
Well it seems as though I'll consider my shoes and chalk bag as necessary pieces of equipment. Hopefully all will go well on the rock face and not hinder the trail...face?

Driver8
05-16-2012, 01:43
I remember some climbers in Connecticut, not sure where though exactly.

Saint John's Ledges in Kent, along the Housatonic River.

DaveSail
05-16-2012, 01:46
Just wondering . Do people climb up the steep part of Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt. Washington ? I almost fell over it , and it was scary looking down !
( I know they ski over it in the Winter ! ) David