PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bags

trailfinder
04-07-2005, 22:53
I am looking for an ultralight sleeping bag that is easy to roll up because I have arthritis in both thumbs. Any recommendations? Thanks!

"ME & U"
04-07-2005, 22:58
What rating? Check out the EMS velosity (35, 5, 0 degree) Cool bag, light, and packs super easy! Stuff it!

trailfinder
04-07-2005, 23:01
What rating? Check out the EMS velosity (35, 5, 0 degree) Cool bag, light, and packs super easy! Stuff it!Oops - 20 to 35 degrees! Thanks!

aaronthebugbuffet
04-07-2005, 23:08
usually you can just stuff a down bag so you won't have to roll it. I bought a slightly larger stuff sack than the one that came with my bag and it makes packing real easy.

HikerHobo
04-07-2005, 23:09
Western Mountaineering IMHO makes the best light weight bags around.
I have two WM bags. The Ponderosa for cold weather and the MegaLite for warmer weather.
I'm a big fellow so I need these bigger bags, thus the heavier weight.

Check 'em out. One will suit your needs and serve you well.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/manufacturers/WM_bags.cfm

And, yes, a larger stuff sack WILL make packing any bag much easier.
Nothing more fustrating then trying to put 2 pounds of flour in a 1 pound sack.
Like the Thermarest pad in its supplied sack, as an example.

Stuart
04-07-2005, 23:17
I am looking for an ultralight sleeping bag that is easy to roll up because I have arthritis in both thumbs. Any recommendations? Thanks!

As aaronthebugbuffet said above --- stuff it, don't roll it.

Western Mountaineering gets my vote.

Youngblood
04-08-2005, 09:09
... I bought a slightly larger stuff sack than the one that came with my bag and it makes packing real easy.
This is a common problem with equipment... the stuff sacks that come with them are too small to use. This problem is not so much with sleeping bags as it is with other equipment. One measure of equipment is its packed volume and manufacturers know this and will sometimes supply their product in a stuff sack that is just too dang small... so that their packed volume looks more attractive.

For manufacturers, it is one of those danged if you do and danged if you don't deals. If your competitors are doing that and you're not, you might not sell any products. I pack my sleeping bags pretty tight, using the supplied stuff sack lined with a plastic trash bag... but that is because it is such a bulky item. My other gear I pack in oversized stuff sacks and let them get compressed in my backpack, as needed.

For Trailfinder's arthritis problems; if he can't stuff his sleeping bag into the stuff sack that it comes with, he might want to try getting a compression stuff sack. It will allow him to stuff it fairly loose and then cinch a couple of webbing straps to tighten it up and get it into a smaller package.

Youngblood

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 09:19
Another option is to get an over-sized sil-nylon bag and just put it in there. Put the loose bag in your pack and let the rest of the compression happen from gear getting put in your pack with the bag.

Jaybird
04-08-2005, 09:36
...."This is a common problem with equipment... the stuff sacks that come with them are too small to use. This problem is not so much with sleeping bags as it is with other equipment. One measure of equipment is its packed volume and manufacturers know this and will sometimes supply their product in a stuff sack that is just too dang small... so that their packed volume looks more attractive." (Youngblood)...

the STUFF SACK that comes with your sleeping bag is the recommended, CORRECT size for the bag.

This is WHY they call it a STUFF SACK!
YOU STUFF IT, compress it, into this small sack for carrying!

I know, from experience, this is the case...but, you can always buy one size larger stuff sack @ your nearest outfitter store OR like Sgt.Rock said...get a NYLON SACK & forget about it! :D

see ya'll out on the trail: APR 28-MAY 20 Hot SPrings,NC-Pearisburg,VA

peter_pan
04-08-2005, 09:47
There are comression/stuff sacks that let you decide the degree of compression.... See http://216.83.168.206/index_files/Products%20List_files/Stuff%20Sack.htm ...but then I'm biased.

Pan

Youngblood
04-08-2005, 10:09
There are comression/stuff sacks that let you decide the degree of compression.... See http://216.83.168.206/index_files/Products%20List_files/Stuff%20Sack.htm ...but then I'm biased.

PanPan,
I see what you've done, but your photos are not showing what I think you want to show. I can't quite read the scale from the photos and you have enlarged the photo for the compressed view such that it 'appears' to still be about the same volume... shorter but wider whereas it is pretty much just shorter. :) You need to straighten out your photographer. :datz

Youngblood