PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advise on two different down bags please....

rodonne1
05-15-2012, 00:26
I will start off by saying that I have always had synthetic bags do this will be my first down bag. I am trying to make a decision between the Marmot never winter +30 or the Marmot Sawtooth +15, I'm really looking for advice between these two UN ratings not so much the bag itself or brand name. I will also say, I live in Atlanta so most of my camping will be in the GA-NC area and I have never in thirty years been camping below about 30-32 degrees even at night. With that being said, can I get by with a lighter weight +30 bag or would it be a better bag rated at +15, most of its use would be just three seasons but it would be a go to bag for all situations to replace my 25 year old Coleman synthetic bag. Any thoughts suggestions or advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance! -Robbie

Kitecop
05-15-2012, 02:14
Dicks sporting goods sells a Marmot down 600 fill bag called the Aspen Adventurer 15. Its basically the same thing as the sawtooth and slightly lighter. It also has a zipper pocket. Its made exclusively for Dick's and its not on the Marmot website. you can pick it up for $200 or even less if its on sale.

Are you worried about being too hot or are you trying to save weight. Right now i am having the same delima between the Aspen 40 and the sawtooth 15 for my Sep NC hike... I live in Fl so i dont know wut the temps are like there during sept. What type of camping is it mainly for? Will it be your ONLY bag? Its always easier to release heat than insulate more, so my opinion is that over estimating w a bag is better than under estimating. Unless u have lots of layers with u to make up for the cooler bag.