PDA

View Full Version : Is my plan possible?

Kitecop
05-15-2012, 01:38
I just finished planning my section hike using maps i ordered from the AT conservancy. Originally i had planned to do this in 18 days but the plan came out to 16 days and i can actually hike up to 20 days if i need to. I am an experienced kayak camper but have never done any overnight hiking. I live in Fl and there is nothing to hike here. I am going to start in hot springs NC and hike to Damascus VA. According to the maps and my math, I can do it in 16days at an average of 11.95 miles per day. Right now I have my packs base weight down to 24lbs, I think thats pretty good and i may be able the shed another pound or so if i get the new thermarest xlite that i want.

What is a realistic hikable distance per day on the trail. Im in good shape, 5-11 145lbs. I run a mile in 7min. and im already training for the hike by walking 5 miles every other day with the pack on.

rocketsocks
05-15-2012, 01:53
I just finished planning my section hike using maps i ordered from the AT conservancy. Originally i had planned to do this in 18 days but the plan came out to 16 days and i can actually hike up to 20 days if i need to. I am an experienced kayak camper but have never done any overnight hiking. I live in Fl and there is nothing to hike here. I am going to start in hot springs NC and hike to Damascus VA. According to the maps and my math, I can do it in 16days at an average of 11.95 miles per day. Right now I have my packs base weight down to 24lbs, I think thats pretty good and i may be able the shed another pound or so if i get the new thermarest xlite that i want.

What is a realistic hikable distance per day on the trail. Im in good shape, 5-11 145lbs. I run a mile in 7min. and im already training for the hike by walking 5 miles every other day with the pack on.With all the numbers you have intered in your post,I don't see a problem whatsoever.Your in great shape,the load your carring is certainly with-in traditonal limits,11-12 miles a day is well with in your formulas limits,even at 1 mph and two 1/2 breaks during the day it still would only take 13 hours of hiking did I mention your in great fisical shape.Have a great hike:sun

JJJ
05-15-2012, 06:36
Don't let that first climb coming out of Hot Springs deter you -it gets easier, a lot easier terrain by the end.
You have plenty of time.

fredmugs
05-15-2012, 08:21
I know that when I started hiking the AT I blistered horribly (lesson learned: trail runners instead of boots and no hiking socks). As long as you don't have any problems of that nature slowing you down you can easily knock that out. 12 miles a day may actually be boring for you. I would recommend starting at Davenport Gap if you haven't done that part yet. Of course if you get to Damascus early you could go on to Atkins which is an awesome 75 miles and it is easy to get back to Damascus from there.

bigcranky
05-15-2012, 08:30
Any chance you can start in Damascus and hike to Hot Springs? The first few days on the trail will be a lot easier.

Either way it sounds like a decent plan, and you have some extra days at the end in case you need them.

Cookerhiker
05-15-2012, 08:42
I did almost the exact hike you're planning in May '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=96217). Your pace and plan are more than reasonable - barring injury, you should have no problem. By the time you cross Rt. 321 outside Hampton, you'll probably hike 16-18 mile days from that point to Damascus; that stretch of trail is pretty easy.

OldFeet
05-15-2012, 09:23
Your daily mileage shouldn't be a problem at all given your fitness level and age and I know what I'm saying because I'm over twice as old and not as fit lol. That said, remember it's a marathon not a sprint and take regular breaks even if you don't think you need them. I've found resting for ten mintues every hour and a half plus a 45 mintue to hour break in the middle of the day does wonders for my legs.

bigcranky
05-15-2012, 10:33
I've found resting for ten mintues every hour and a half plus a 45 mintue to hour break in the middle of the day does wonders for my legs.

+1, but I go even further. A 10 minute break every hour, and at least one two-hour lunch break. My basic schedule is to hike for 3-4 hours, take a 2 hour break, then hike for 3-4 hours again. That's a 12-15 mile day without feeling like I've hiked 15 miles at one stretch. If I need a longer day, I can hike 3 hours, take a 2 hour break, hike 3 hours, take a 2 hour break, and hike 3 hours before stopping for the night. So if I start at 7am I am done at 8pm after hiking ~18 miles. If I am solo hiking I can set up my hammock for the breaks.

Kitecop
05-16-2012, 01:39
Any chance you can start in Damascus and hike to Hot Springs? The first few days on the trail will be a lot easier.

Either way it sounds like a decent plan, and you have some extra days at the end in case you need them.

Im coming from FL, how long is the drive from Hot springs to Damascus? Is it going to be easy to find a shuttle from HS to Damascus?

Kitecop
05-16-2012, 01:41
I know that when I started hiking the AT I blistered horribly (lesson learned: trail runners instead of boots and no hiking socks). As long as you don't have any problems of that nature slowing you down you can easily knock that out. 12 miles a day may actually be boring for you. I would recommend starting at Davenport Gap if you haven't done that part yet. Of course if you get to Damascus early you could go on to Atkins which is an awesome 75 miles and it is easy to get back to Damascus from there.

Thats good to hear, I will have my dog with me too so im just hoping he can handle the same pace. he will be 22months then, hes a 40lb Australian shepherd, he is training with me right now too.

bigcranky
05-16-2012, 07:48
Im coming from FL, how long is the drive from Hot springs to Damascus? Is it going to be easy to find a shuttle from HS to Damascus?

The drive from HS to Damascus is over two hours. Hot Springs is a very small town that's fairly inaccessible from anywhere (that's a good thing.) It should be possible to get a shuttle from either end, but you'll likely want to arrange it in advance rather than trying to set something up after your hike. I've used Lone Wolf in Damascus for several shuttles, and he's a great guy and has fair rates. But he's busy, so contact him early. I've also used Curtis from Standing Bear Farm and Miss Janet from Erwin, TN.

You can find a list of shuttlers on the ATC web site.

Hooch
05-16-2012, 07:59
I'd also recommend the nice folks at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot springs for shuttle services. Just don't talk politics with Daniel and you'll be fine.

beaudetious
05-16-2012, 10:49
+1 on Bluff Mountain Outfitters

Cookerhiker
05-16-2012, 11:01
....You can find a list of shuttlers on the ATC web site.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation

lemon b
05-16-2012, 11:49
At 26 in good shape the physical part should not be a problem. Have fun and make sure you have well fitting comfortable footware.

Kitecop
05-16-2012, 19:03
At 26 in good shape the physical part should not be a problem. Have fun and make sure you have well fitting comfortable footware.

ill actually be turning 27 on the trail, hope i dont suddenly feel old. I already feel older than 26.

Blissful
05-16-2012, 19:48
Sounds like a good plan. Have fun.

bigcranky
05-17-2012, 09:54
ill actually be turning 27 on the trail, hope i dont suddenly feel old. I already feel older than 26.

In my head I'm still 27. Gets me in trouble sometimes....