PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP = Required Bear Canisters + Shelters

WIAPilot
05-15-2012, 08:32
Am I correct in thinking that bear canisters + shelter areas are required from 164.6 at Fontana Dam, NC -237.2 Davenport Gap? If not, what is the exact area?

Ender
05-15-2012, 08:38
I didn't think bear canisters were required in GSMNP. I could be wrong if it's a brand new rule, but I've heard nothing to that effect.

WIAPilot
05-15-2012, 08:43
It's on the home page of WB, but not sure of exact area. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?174-Increased-bear-activity-leads-to-food-canister-rule

So from just Jarrard Gap at 26.7 - 31.7 Neel Gap for the bear canister??

Ender
05-15-2012, 08:50
Ah, that, yes. Yeah, that's far south of GSMNP. And yes, it's just for that 5 mile stretch, and only if you're camping there. Easy to avoid carrying a canister as long as you just hike through there and don't spend the night.

Tipi Walter
05-15-2012, 08:53
It wouldn't surprise me what with the new rules requiring every site to be reserved and a nighty camping fee of $4. The next step is to require all backpackers to haul out their own turds and urine. Have fun folks but in a clockwise direction ONLY.

moytoy
05-15-2012, 09:01
It's on the home page of WB, but not sure of exact area. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?174-Increased-bear-activity-leads-to-food-canister-rule

So from just Jarrard Gap at 26.7 - 31.7 Neel Gap for the bear canister??

But that's not the GSMNP. Canisters are not required in the park yet.

Rain Man
05-15-2012, 09:17
Have fun folks but in a clockwise direction ONLY.

When I use a traffic circle, I'm HAPPY "the government" (i.e., WE) agree to circle it in only one direction. For that matter, when I travel roads to the GSMNP, I'm HAPPY we all agree to travel on the right half of the road. And that it's against the law to toss our litter out the window as we travel down public roads.

Rain:sunMan

WIAPilot
05-15-2012, 09:27
Am I correct in thinking that shelter areas are required from 164.6 at Fontana Dam, NC -237.2 Davenport Gap? If not, what is the exact area?

So is this correct about the shelter area?

Montana Mac
05-15-2012, 09:27
It wouldn't surprise me what with the new rules requiring every site to be reserved and a nighty camping fee of $4. The next step is to require all backpackers to haul out their own turds and urine. Have fun folks but in a clockwise direction ONLY.

Is that reservation requirement and fee in GSMNP for everybody including thru hikers ?

Tipi Walter
05-15-2012, 09:29
When I use a traffic circle, I'm HAPPY "the government" (i.e., WE) agree to circle it in only one direction. For that matter, when I travel roads to the GSMNP, I'm HAPPY we all agree to travel on the right half of the road. And that it's against the law to toss our litter out the window as we travel down public roads.

So you'd also be happy with a $20 fee for every car entering the park?

WIAPilot
05-15-2012, 09:35

Tipi, don't even try to reason. There are baaaackpackers and then there are men like you. Enough said.

moytoy
05-15-2012, 09:43

I could be happy with that! But we all know that can't happen.

Tipi Walter
05-15-2012, 10:05
I could be happy with that! But we all know that can't happen.

This is what we thought with the backpacker's nighty camping fee.

moytoy
05-15-2012, 18:32
This is what we thought with the backpacker's nighty camping fee.
Tennesse Legislature would have to lift the restriction on charging for auto traffic. I really don't see this happening as any revenue would go to the Federal Government I would think. The NC side is not restricted in any manner.

Sidewinder
05-15-2012, 19:47

what does this have to do with the OP's question?

Tipi Walter
05-15-2012, 20:04

He's just responding to my post #5.

Mountain Mike
05-15-2012, 21:03
Going to classic lines saved! It wouldn't surprise me what with the new rules requiring every site to be reserved and a nighty camping fee of $4. The next step is to require all backpackers to haul out their own turds and urine. Have fun folks but in a clockwise direction ONLY.

Mountain Mike
05-15-2012, 21:08
When I grow up I want to be like Tipi, but at most 100lb pack

Heald
05-15-2012, 21:56

Nothing at all from what I read. "The Government WE" Horsepucky in my opinion.

rocketsocks
05-16-2012, 05:50
When I grow up I want to be like Tipi, but at most 100lb packI think they should come out with a Tipi Walter action figure,complete with all the gear....books,real burning candles,full size note pad and pens,and a tent or optional tipi,cause lets face it...it's all about the accessories in the action figure world,but no bear vault,or bear bag.I'd buy one!

rocketsocks
05-16-2012, 06:10
I think they should come out with a Tipi Walter action figure,complete with all the gear....books,real burning candles,full size note pad and pens,and a tent or optional tipi,cause lets face it...it's all about the accessories in the action figure world,but no bear vault,or bear bag.I'd buy one!Oops....:D

WIAPilot
05-16-2012, 06:12
I think they should come out with a Tipi Walter action figure,complete with all the gear....books,real burning candles,full size note pad and pens,and a tent or optional tipi,cause lets face it...it's all about the accessories in the action figure world,but no bear vault,or bear bag.I'd buy one!

LOL Too funny! And not just any tent...a Hilleberg!! Faaaar away from all the shelters! Let's face it. Tipi is kind of the "John Wayne of the AT.". <<< Our hero.:sun

rocketsocks
05-16-2012, 06:16
LOL Too funny! And not just any tent...a Hilleberg!! Faaaar away from all the shelters! Let's face it. Tipi is kind of the "John Wayne of the AT.". <<< Our hero.:sunMama says He's bonifide!

moytoy
05-16-2012, 06:43
Mama says He's bonifide!
My son-in-law met him on the trail. He is definitely bonafide.

WIAPilot
05-16-2012, 10:18
Mama says He's bonifide!

Oh, I think that even his journals reveal this! All I can say is that I hope that a list of Wilderness Survival Tips come with this Tipi Walter Action Toy! Any ideas on what this action figure will do? Gather wood? Set up camp? Scout out locations that no tent has ever seen before? :)

Two Speed
05-16-2012, 12:07
I'm sure Wal-Mart would be very happy to market the Tipi Walter Action figure.

Tipi Walter
05-16-2012, 12:38
I'm sure Wal-Mart would be very happy to market the Tipi Walter Action figure.

Funny you should say this as I am working in the Southeast Region as their Backpacking Consultant---

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/8/6/4/67684/0729101333b.jpg

Two Speed
05-16-2012, 12:49
I call BS. That pack ain't nearly big enough.

Might work for me. You? Never gonna happen.

Tipi Walter
05-16-2012, 13:22
I call BS. That pack ain't nearly big enough.

Might work for me. You? Never gonna happen.

The pack shown is sold to AT Thruhikers who can't bear to carry more than two days worth of food.

WIAPilot
05-16-2012, 13:43
The pack shown is sold to AT Thruhikers who can't bear to carry more than two days worth of food.

I would have gone with the Spiderman one, myself... Or maybe the G.I. Joe Wilderness edition?

Two Speed
05-16-2012, 13:58
The pack shown is sold to AT Thruhikers who can't bear to carry more than two days worth of food.I call BS again. I can get at least three days worth of food in a pack that size . . . so I may be in the market for one of those. Do me a favor and check prices the next time you're in Wally World?

I'd do it, but I doubt I step foot in a Wally World more than 2 - 3 times in a decade.

WIAPilot
05-16-2012, 14:30
I call BS again. I can get at least three days worth of food in a pack that size . . . so I may be in the market for one of those. Do me a favor and check prices the next time you're in Wally World?

I'd do it, but I doubt I step foot in a Wally World more than 2 - 3 times in a decade.

Photo shows they are an "unbeatable $12!" DISCLAIMER: TIPI WALTER NOT INCLUDED.

Two Speed
05-16-2012, 15:45
If Tipi came with the pack I'd want a much bigger pack.

Anyway, he'd want a much bigger pack. I'm pretty sure he welds shoulder straps and a waist belt to a dumpster and calls it a pack.

rocketsocks
05-16-2012, 21:42
If Tipi came with the pack I'd want a much bigger pack.

Anyway, he'd want a much bigger pack. I'm pretty sure he welds shoulder straps and a waist belt to a dumpster and calls it a pack.Most will only aspire and should probably just get a "Hello Kitty"tent on ther first outing,no since in throwing money away on a Hillbergerbergermisterbuger (spell check actully wanted me to add this to my list:rolleyes:,well at least i'm smarter than this dumb computer)tent that they can't carry and don't bring enough books to weight the corners in a blowing Gale.and get your self a big bag of dog food,put straps on it,and run like hell through the Smokies,bears love dog food,and you wont need a pack cover cause they are water proof,and have a really neat zip type closure.....you might even set some little known record,or at the least be well remembered.Then and only then,you might have a shot at standing in Tipi Walters shadow,then at least he could use you to tell time,directing you as a place holder,and taking a step to the left every 15 mins kinda like a square dancing move.....Maybe!

Train Wreck
05-29-2012, 13:16
No - Dora the Explorer is much more appropriate.

Train Wreck
05-29-2012, 13:18
I would have gone with the Spiderman one, myself... Or maybe the G.I. Joe Wilderness edition?

No - Dora the Explorer is much more appropriate.

flemdawg1
05-29-2012, 15:26
. Have fun folks but in a clockwise direction ONLY.

When I use a traffic circle, I'm HAPPY "the government" (i.e., WE) agree to circle it in only one direction. Rain:sunMan

please don't drive clockwise in the traffic circles, you'll get someone killed.