PDA

View Full Version : A mouse chewed a hole in my Western Mountaineering Summerlite!

rjhouser
05-15-2012, 14:46
Stayed at walnut mountain shelter last night just south of Hot Springs and a mouse chewed a quarter-sized hole in my $300 bag!? What the heck? Never heard of this happening before. Didn't have food with me or on me at all. I think it was just pulling the down out... No telling how much it got... I patched it up with duct tape and now I'm not sure what to do... patch it with something heavier? :mad: not a happy camper!

Don H
05-15-2012, 15:47
I carry Tenacious Tape for repairing gear but duct tape will work as a temporary fix. Latter you can sew a patch on and seam seal it to keep the down from getting out. If you want a professional job I believe WM will repair it for you for a fee.

MuddyWaters
05-15-2012, 15:53
Id ask WM for a scrap of matching fabric which can be sewn or glued over the hole. Or inquire if they can fix it, or how you should. Unfortunately, damage to high end equipment usuallly significantly reduces its resale, if that matters. Better quality repairs will help preserve that value if you ever intend to sell it.

kayak karl
05-15-2012, 15:54
i had the same think happen to my rain pants and thermal shirt (were in my pack) at Hawk MT. shelter. i was in hammock outside. pack was in shelter. never again.
i agree. sew it up and seal it.

Tipi Walter
05-15-2012, 15:57
What's with this fascination with rat nest shelters?

House of Payne
05-15-2012, 16:38
I saw the post with WM on it and had to look. I have the same bag and I think I would take a small fit too if it happened to me. I'm not doing my thru until 14' but this subject has got my attention, damn vermin!

Firefighter503
05-17-2012, 02:38
This happened to a number of guys in shelters last year while on the AT. Last year there were so many mice at that shelter that we ended up hanging our whole packs - they were crawling through our stuff before we even went to bed. One more reason to carry a tent. If I were closer to Hot Springs, I would hike up there with some mouse traps to do some population control.

Velvet Gooch
05-17-2012, 05:38
Patch it with a tanned mouse hide. That'll show 'em

skinewmexico
05-17-2012, 09:48
Patch it with a tanned mouse hide. That'll show 'em

For the win!!