PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian Loop?

Theosus
05-15-2012, 14:49
Has anyone done the Standing Indian loop? Basically you start in the campground, go southeast until you run into the AT by the SI shelter, then around 18 miles of the AT and back into the campground. It sounds like a good overnight to me with no shuttle issues.

I wanted to do springer to neels but time is a problem.

Any good views and interest points on this tiny bit of trail? Is standing Indian busy in late June?

springerfever
05-15-2012, 16:03
This is a GREAT loop, and like you said..no shuttle required. I would suggest parking a Backcountry Information, hike through the campground and take the Kimsey creek trail up to deep gap on the AT. From there you can camp atop Standing Indian..there IS water close to the summit or stay at the shelter just south of Standing Indian. Next day , get an early start..take a break at Carter gap for lunch and continue on to Mt. Albert for an overnight. If you need a shelter, Big Springs is just north of Mt. Albert. Next morning, hike north to Glassmine gap. Take trail on left at gap (Long Branch trail) back down to your car. This time of year is ideal for this loop with azaleas and mountain laurel in bloom. I have done both directions and prefer the one above. Hope you have a wonderful hike !!

This might be a little long for a single overnight , unless you are up for it. No really difficult terrain except for Mt. Albert which is one .3 mile of serious vertical gain.

SouthMark
05-15-2012, 16:34
What springerfever said.

wookinpanub
05-15-2012, 17:06
Have fun with Albert Mountain and don't you dare take the road walk! It's like a jungle gym in places. One of the steepest places on the entire trail. Relatively short, though.

bigcranky
05-15-2012, 18:08
Great loop, yes. Nice views at Standing Indian and Albert Mountain if the weather is good. Camp at the top of Standing Indian if possible. This makes a very nice 2-night hike.

Theosus
05-15-2012, 20:12
I don't know why I said overnight. I meant 2... One after arriving at campground in the afternoon, and another after a full day of hiking. I have a time cushion, I could spend a third night near the campground as long as I can leave by 10am...
Do they charge you just to park at backcountry info, or is the fee only if you camp? On the web it said $16/night.

springerfever
05-15-2012, 23:17
No charge unless you stay in the campground itself. The campground is primarily used by campers and motor homes. Backcountry Information is nothing more than a few informational kiosks located by the side of the road. Its on a well maintained dirt road and has parking for approximately 10 vehicles. I have parked my unlocked jeep there a dozen times with no problems whatsoever.

Kimsey Creek trail is absolutely beautiful and a great way to start your hike. It can be a little confusing finding the KC trailhead, so I would suggest that before parking at BCI you first drive throught the campground and ask one of the on-site hosts for information you might need. There is a group campground that has a vehicle stream crossing that is close to the trail head. No need to cross this stream or the bridge located a few yards just upsteam. Keep the stream to your left and follow the trail upstream and look for the blue blazes.

Water atop Standing Indian is located just off the AT down a fairly steep blue-blaze trail to your left (hiking north). You will notice a prominent whiterock on the footpath approx 200 feet down the trail that leads to a piped spring with a dependable water flow. Two nights is plenty and you will need to cover approximately 10-12 miles per day. Plenty of excellent campsites all along this hike.

Excellent views to be had, particularly from Mt. Albert. I have taken some incredible pictures from the M.A. firetower at sunrise with clouds in the valley and peaks poking through the mist at daybreak. Get there early and brew a cup of coffee to watch a beautiful sunrise and get your last day started right. There are actually a couple of good campsites atop Albert, but no water. You will have to go down to the Big Spring shelter for water and bring it back up if you stay on top. Shelter is only about a mile down the backside of Albert. Let us know how your hike goes...It is one of my favorites.

Ron Haven
05-16-2012, 02:29
No charge unless you stay in the campground itself. The campground is primarily used by campers and motor homes. Backcountry Information is nothing more than a few informational kiosks located by the side of the road. Its on a well maintained dirt road and has parking for approximately 10 vehicles. I have parked my unlocked jeep there a dozen times with no problems whatsoever.

Kimsey Creek trail is absolutely beautiful and a great way to start your hike. It can be a little confusing finding the KC trailhead, so I would suggest that before parking at BCI you first drive throught the campground and ask one of the on-site hosts for information you might need. There is a group campground that has a vehicle stream crossing that is close to the trail head. No need to cross this stream or the bridge located a few yards just upsteam. Keep the stream to your left and follow the trail upstream and look for the blue blazes.

Water atop Standing Indian is located just off the AT down a fairly steep blue-blaze trail to your left (hiking north). You will notice a prominent whiterock on the footpath approx 200 feet down the trail that leads to a piped spring with a dependable water flow. Two nights is plenty and you will need to cover approximately 10-12 miles per day. Plenty of excellent campsites all along this hike.

Excellent views to be had, particularly from Mt. Albert. I have taken some incredible pictures from the M.A. firetower at sunrise with clouds in the valley and peaks poking through the mist at daybreak. Get there early and brew a cup of coffee to watch a beautiful sunrise and get your last day started right. There are actually a couple of good campsites atop Albert, but no water. You will have to go down to the Big Spring shelter for water and bring it back up if you stay on top. Shelter is only about a mile down the backside of Albert. Let us know how your hike goes...It is one of my favorites.you will have a lot of fun, go for it...

bigcranky
05-16-2012, 07:40
Excellent views to be had, particularly from Mt. Albert. I have taken some incredible pictures from the M.A. firetower at sunrise with clouds in the valley and peaks poking through the mist at daybreak.

I've hiked that section three or four times now, and I have *never* had any sort of view from Albert Mountain. Dang it. It's always completely socked in.

Nice photos.

daddytwosticks
05-16-2012, 07:52
I agree with everything already said. I have done this loop at least 6 times, both ways. Both 3 day and as an overnight hike staying at Carter Gap Shelter (about the half-way point). I am also hoping to do this loop again in June. Hope you have a great hike. :)

Buffalo Skipper
05-16-2012, 16:40
I camped with the family at Standing Indian back in 2007. We did a day hike up Mt. Albert. Great views and a terriffic time. I am planning a week long section just north of that this fall.

springerfever
05-16-2012, 18:13
Here's a few more photographs from this area taken early June. With the southeast having such a mild winter and an early spring, a lot of the flowers might be in bloom now.

Veetack
06-08-2012, 17:29
16224 I know it's upsice down, but here's the view from the Mt. Albert Fire Tower. Absolutely amazing.

Theosus
06-12-2012, 15:53
How is the water situation up there? I got screwed out of my june hike, but its looking like I might have some time july 4 weekend. Im from the SC midlands, so Im used to the hot, but I dont want to thirst to death. Thanks for all the help and pictures! They are really great.

abuesch
06-14-2012, 15:59
How is the water situation up there? I got screwed out of my june hike, but its looking like I might have some time july 4 weekend. Im from the SC midlands, so Im used to the hot, but I dont want to thirst to death. Thanks for all the help and pictures! They are really great.

Did a section hike from Deep Gap to Rock Gap last weekend and there was plenty of water available between these trailheads. Hiked from Deep Gap to Carter Gap the first day and then out to Rock Gap where we left my truck. Big Spring Shelter was absolutely filthy or else we might have stuck to the plan and stayed the second night, but 8.5 miles the first day and 12.2 the second was more than manageable and we beat the rain on Sunday. The older shelter at Carter Gap has been taken down but you can still tent camp there. Other than that not much more to report.

JaxHiker
06-14-2012, 16:45
I really enjoyed the view from Albert.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

ItsGodsWater
06-14-2012, 16:50
clutch thread. my cousin is on a thru hike and meeting him up there tomorrow to do the loop.

yankeehotelbackpack
04-22-2013, 21:30
Reviving an old thread, but I'm planning to do this hike in late May. I'm a total newbie -- camped lots, backpacked never. Trying to get in shape for the mountains. (Another Florida flatlander!)

My question is this: how is the bug situation in late spring/early summer? I've been in NC in the summer plenty and don't recall much in the way of mosquitoes up in the elevations. Should I be prepared for particularly buggy conditions?

solobip
04-22-2013, 21:37
Bugs aren't that bad on the loop in June. Can get humid/hot. I would go from the Backcounty Info ctr to long branch then to AT at Glassmine Gap, head South to Kimsey Creek Trail as an overnighter. Waste time on Albert Mtn Firetower your first day, camp at Carter Shelter or Beech Gap, head to Standing Indian and down Kimsey Creek Trail to car at the Info Ctr.

Olustee bus
04-23-2013, 06:35
Those photos bring back memories. I woke up up on SI one morning and all you could see were white cloud below you. No peaks, no trees not anything but white clouds. It was gorgeous.

Theosus
04-23-2013, 07:03
My question is this: how is the bug situation in late spring/early summer? I've been in NC in the summer plenty and don't recall much in the way of mosquitoes up in the elevations. Should I be prepared for particularly buggy conditions?

Doing that at the end of May, too. Things conspired against me up until now, but I've got a few friends going with me on this one. Knowing that it's georgia in the spring/summer, I wouldn't put it past the bugs to be planning full out assaults, but I dont know.

peakbagger
04-23-2013, 14:21
Maybe its marked better now but we got turned around and end up a mile or two down deep gap road on a different trail than Kinsey Creek. The fire road that cuts across the ridge line and down through the reasearch area was quite a ride.

yankeehotelbackpack
04-23-2013, 14:38
Thanks for the feedback! What with all the water in that area, I guess lotsa bugs wouldn't be out of the question. Looking forward to my first walkabout with full backpack. This site is fantastic -- love reading all the helpful hints from passionate outdoors-lovers.

springerfever
04-23-2013, 16:20
Maybe its marked better now but we got turned around and end up a mile or two down deep gap road on a different trail than Kinsey Creek. The fire road that cuts across the ridge line and down through the reasearch area was quite a ride.

You must have been hiking southbound on the AT. If headed northbound on the AT, the Kinsey Creek trail deadends into Deep Gap where the trashcans are located. Great place to get rid of any garbage !

On this particular hike, I prefer the northbound route on the AT..it just has a better 'feel'. You are actually headed south on some stretches as you go around the Standing Indian basin. Some blue-blazers might be tempted to cut thru the campground and save about 20 miles but , DON'T DO IT!!....You will be missing some great trail !!

springerfever
04-23-2013, 16:38
Here's a few more pictures of the area.........

daddytwosticks
04-24-2013, 07:23
Be aware: the Kimsey Creek Trail is a very wet trail (first half after the campground). Hiked it in early April this year and parts of the trail were a creek. Major crossings do have bridges though. :)

springerfever
04-24-2013, 07:53
Just found out the Big Springs shelter, just north of Albert Mountain has been replaced by this new shelter...LONG BRANCH SHELTER...a little furthur north. Not sure if BSS is still standing..it was in pretty bad shape and used by the locals for partying. The mice are going to miss it !!

Her's a link to the new shelter and a picture. Looks to be a great design !

Note to myself............I need to get out more often !! Hopefully I will, as soon as my right knee is up to the challenge after ACL surgery a month ago.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?89709-Long-Branch-Shelter

chiefiepoo
04-24-2013, 08:24
Was through the SI section of the AT this past Monday, 4/22. Big Spring is gone totally. The site is posted "No camping" restoration in progress. The notice says the new shelter is about one mile north on the trail. Actually it is the 1.8 miles noted in the AT Guide. The new shelter is a sturdy, spacious structure with two levels. No bear cables and not many bear bag trees. Abundant water on the blue blaze trail into the shelter. There are, as of now, only two tent sites that are scribed into the slope below the shelter and no level ground for more. The privy is a mouldering type close to an visible from the shelter. This is a very nice shelter. Thanks to all of the willing hands that made it possible.

BTW the trail leading north up to the Ablert Mtn bypass is treacherous in several spots with being a rock jumble and lots of water running the trail course. It is marked with red tape in several places so I'd guess some improvements are being planned .

yankeehotelbackpack
04-25-2013, 21:41
Another newbie question: what is the best way to find out about water sources in this area? I guess the AT part of the trail has water at shelters, but what of the rest of it? Just filter water from streams and the Nantahala River? Got a map from the National Forest Service (copyright 1986!!!) and water was not marked. I've read it is plentiful -- but where is it? Thanks for advice!

Olustee bus
04-26-2013, 06:08
Another newbie question: what is the best way to find out about water sources in this area? I guess the AT part of the trail has water at shelters, but what of the rest of it? Just filter water from streams and the Nantahala River? Got a map from the National Forest Service (copyright 1986!!!) and water was not marked. I've read it is plentiful -- but where is it? Thanks for advice!

just below the bald on SI ( i am pretty sure it is to the northwest) is a spring. There should be a marker there, it is about 50 feet from the trail. At least it used to be one there.

daddytwosticks
04-26-2013, 07:10
Two of the feeder trails to the AT in this area (Long CREEK Trail, Kimsey CREEK Trail) have abundant water. Also, this time of year, you will have no problems with water. Have a great hike. :)

Theosus
05-09-2013, 21:49
From the south edge of the loop there is a spur trail up to a falls. It looks like a mile one way (big laurel falls). Is it worth the time and effort, or is it just as nice to drive down to the falls on the FS road once the hike is over? It looks like a good place for a water resupply, but at the same time it seems like a two0three hour round trip just to see a fall might be pushing it on a two night hike...

daddytwosticks
05-10-2013, 07:26
From the south edge of the loop there is a spur trail up to a falls. It looks like a mile one way (big laurel falls). Is it worth the time and effort, or is it just as nice to drive down to the falls on the FS road once the hike is over? It looks like a good place for a water resupply, but at the same time it seems like a two0three hour round trip just to see a fall might be pushing it on a two night hike... ?? Is that the falls off the Timer Ridge Trail which leads up to the AT slightly south of Carter Gap Shelter? If so, it's like 2.5 miles down off the AT. :)

SOLODARE
08-18-2015, 22:33
i know this is an old post but if any one has any updated info on this loop hike i would love to hear from you. My son and I are heading up there Friday. Im having trouble find info for this hike. We plan on starting at backcountry info and going clock wise.

ccartertn
08-18-2015, 23:49
Here is a very recent thread. I am wanting to do this loop when I can take a Friday or Monday off.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=113716

ccartertn

ccartertn
08-18-2015, 23:53
Also do a search. I have a doc from another thread that has a good spreadsheet of the mileages clockwise and counter clockwise and camping options. I'd find it but I'm on my phone right now!

ccartertn

SOLODARE
08-19-2015, 00:36
thanks for the link. I had better luck with the search when i just used "standing indian" I didnt see the chart right off but i think I will find it as i dig deeper. Found a map right off which I couldn't find before.

squeeze
09-05-2015, 13:41
Hoping to camp on or near Standing Indian Mtn this week. Anybody know the current quality of water sources near there?

ChuckP
09-07-2015, 12:06
My wife and I did this trip this past May, camping on the Standing Indian summit the first night. Our itinerary was, starting from the campground: Kimsey Creek trail to Deep Gap; AT to Standing Indian summit; camp; AT to Betty Creek Gap; camp; AT to Long Branch trail; Long Branch trail back to campground.

If you are going to camp on Standing Indian mountain, you will need to load up with water at the stream across the trail from the Standing Indian shelter as there is nothing beyond that.

I can attest to the wetness of the Kimsey Creek trail.

This is a great loop hike through the Southern Nantahala Wilderness. I hope you enjoy it.

TNhiker
09-07-2015, 12:39
What about the spring that's just off the at at the intersection to go up to standing Indian summit?

ChuckP
09-07-2015, 15:16
I don't remember seeing that one. It's certainly not signposted. If it were me, I'd take the sure thing water from the stream rather than hope I can find the spring and that it's flowing. A lot of the trail from Deep Gap to the top of SI is an old road to service the fire tower which used to be at the top. So the grade is pretty undemanding.

TNhiker
09-07-2015, 22:14
I don't remember seeing that one. It's certainly not signposted

it's blue blazed...........

at the intersection of the AT and the side trail up to the summit, there's a blue blazed trail that leads to a spring.

daddytwosticks
09-08-2015, 07:22
it's blue blazed...........

at the intersection of the AT and the side trail up to the summit, there's a blue blazed trail that leads to a spring.
Correct. However, there is another trail branching off right by it leading back to the SI campground. I cannot recall it's name right now, but I understand it's very steep. This area can be confusing with no signage. Heck, even the "trail" leading off to SI summit from the AT is not clearly marked. :)

TNhiker
09-08-2015, 13:19
i dont have a map in front of me but i believe that's long branch trail..............

and i think that one has a sign.........

i didnt have any problem distinguishing the two when i was there in october----i just figured the blue blaze would take me to water and sure enough, it did........

daddytwosticks
09-08-2015, 16:31
i dont have a map in front of me but i believe that's long branch trail..............

and i think that one has a sign.........

i didnt have any problem distinguishing the two when i was there in october----i just figured the blue blaze would take me to water and sure enough, it did........

I checked...believe it's the Lower Ridge Trail that leads back to the campground from near the SI mtn summit. :)

TNhiker
09-08-2015, 16:40
yeah........that sounds right............i was looking at google maps, and saw there was a long branch stream and someone that triggered my memory......

i took that way down to the campground after staying the night at the summit.........

not much on that trail---i think i passed one campsite-----and no water til the near end............

squeeze
09-09-2015, 22:45
Just back from an overnight to Standing Indian Mountain. I came up Kimsey Creek. Water source near SI Mtn was good. Going north on the AT the water source is on a blue blazed trail to the left just prior to the SI side trail.

JaxHiker
09-10-2015, 20:22
It's always amazed me how those pipes grow out of the ground. Nature is amazing.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

greene_dawg
10-05-2016, 12:08
Hiking this loop this weekend. Any work on water between Deep Gap and Long Branch?

Uncle Joe
10-05-2016, 12:57
I would suspect a short walk down Kimsey Trail would yield some water.

daddytwosticks
10-06-2016, 07:14
I am interested in this info too. Especially the small stream that crosses the trail north of Beech Gap, the water source at Carter Gap shelter, and the water source (culvert) at Mooney Gap. Thanks. :)

SouthMark
10-06-2016, 08:56
What about the spring at the old Big Spring shelter site?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AggieDO
04-04-2018, 21:54
Going to do this loop at the end of the month. Any new info or suggestions from hikers who did it in 2017?

Uncle Joe
04-04-2018, 22:03
I haven't been out there since last year. I may be out there in a few weeks, though. I recall someone telling me there was some more blow-down on Kimsey Creek Trail, though.

Uncle Joe
04-09-2018, 11:41
If you find it useful here is a map I put together for a friend. I had used an older map that was a little harder to follow as inspiration. The trails marked blue with orange are trails I have done.

Hoop
04-09-2018, 23:16
SI loop is a fav. Near the base of the Albert Mt. old firetower there's a small memorial plaque in dedicated to someone who apparently frequented the area and loved it. Been a few years since I was there but chancing upon that made for a poignant moment in the hike.

redgun24
04-13-2018, 13:43
Planning to do this next weekend, Fri-Sun, but have never been to the area.

I know most people suggest parking at the backcountry kiosk and hike counter-clockwise. I expect we won't arrive until later Friday evening, but I'd like to camp near the top of SI Mtn. Is there any issue with parking at the Deep Gap parking area and starting from there? I think this would get us up SI Mtn. at a more reasonable time than if we start down in SI campground.

AggieDO
04-13-2018, 20:37
Is there any issue with parking at the Deep Gap parking area and starting from there?

Last May, I parked in SI Campground, hiked up Kimsey Creek and camped overnight next to the SI Shelter. As I recall, there were several cars parked at the Deep Gap parking area. I'm not sure how many parking spots there are at that parking area. Also, I'm not sure if there have ever issues with vehicle safety there. Parking at Deep Gap would get you to the top of Standing Indian Man quicker though.

Here's some info:
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/54289-Deep-Gap-Parking

This video (I believe) shows the parking area...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PSzOvRF4w4

Let us know how it goes! I'm headed up that way towards the end of the month.

Uncle Joe
04-13-2018, 21:43
I've parked at Deep Gap before and from what I understand there haven't been many issues. There is a lot of people coming and going there. Shuttles etc. So it's a viable option. It's a relatively short hike to the SI Shelter from Deep Gap so if you're running late for your start that might work out for you.

AggieDO
04-24-2018, 05:58
How did it go, Redgun24 ?

I know most people suggest parking at the backcountry kiosk and hike counter-clockwise. I expect we won't arrive until later Friday evening, but I'd like to camp near the top of SI Mtn. Is there any issue with parking at the Deep Gap parking area and starting from there? I think this would get us up SI Mtn. at a more reasonable time than if we start down in SI campground.