PDA

View Full Version : What's for breakfast & lunch?

Cozy
05-15-2012, 19:10
Would like to know what everyone does for their breakfast and lunch meals to get new ideas. For me, it's Special K Protein cereal and powdered milk for breakfast and peanut butter and honey/jelly sandwiches for lunch. We all got the dinners down!

Odd Man Out
05-15-2012, 19:17
Would like to know what everyone does for their breakfast and lunch meals to get new ideas. For me, it's Special K Protein cereal and powdered milk for breakfast and peanut butter and honey/jelly sandwiches for lunch. We all got the dinners down!

Breakfast I like uncooked oatmeal: Quick oats (not instant), brown sugar, cinnamon, powdered milk, butter, salt. Add boiling water to get the right consistency. You can make it a bit thin as it will thicken as it sets. Not only do I like this better than regular oat meal, it is easier to clean up. Since you don't boil it, you don't dissolve the starch so it doesn't get so gooey. You can pre-mix the ingredients in zip lock bags. Adjust proportions as you like them. Some real maple syrup is also good.

Lunch: PB and J on a flour tortilla (nothing too exciting there).

chip2012
05-15-2012, 19:39
Granola or grits followed by a cup of Joe. Couple walking snacks to tame the worms. French bread (crackers) with cheese and summer sausage, fruit punch and some dried fruits.

bigcranky
05-15-2012, 19:49
Homemade granola for section hikes. With dried strawberries or cherries, and powdered milk. Hot oatmeal in the winter.

Lunch: tuna packets with mayo and cheese in flour tortillas. Cheese and crackers, with turkey jerky. Pepperoni and cheese sticks in a flour tortilla. Instant hummous.

Mountain Mike
05-15-2012, 19:51
Breakfast:Hard to beat oatmeal for weight vs benefits. I usually carry a big bag of quick cook & add dried fruits, sugars, & what ever suits my fancy that morning. Eggs maybe day out of town & FD for a break in monotony
Lunch, should be lunches since I find several shorter breaks are better than one long one. ; Bread stuff; Bagel, tortilla, crackers, stout bread with; creamed cheese, cheese, hummus, summer sausage, or other dried meat, sardines, foil meat & mayo, homade gorp/trail mix. Cup-O-Soup or Ramens on the cold days.

Spokes
05-15-2012, 20:00
If I'm lazy a Clif Bar or powerbar, and some green tea. Lunch means snacks for me- peanut butter by the spoon, beef stick and cheese sticks, Snickers Bar, nuts, dried fruits, fruit roll ups, etc....

blackwater slim
05-15-2012, 20:07
Especially if trying to get moving fast, but anytime it is hard to beat Carnation instant breakfast..,mix about 8 oz. of instant milk first, then add the instant breakfast...chocalate is the standby but other flavors add some pizazz! Its better in cold weather as the water to mix with is cold and therefore the mixture is cold but it is still fresh and good when warm. Not the easiest to mix well..just stir, stir, stir and not the easiest to clean up but worth it (also not that hard to clean up by swishing some water in the cup and wipe with a coleman biodegradable wipee). Add a nature valley granola bar and you are ready for some serious trekking.
Then... stop about 2 hours later and scramble up some powdered eggs, heat up some microwave bacon and heat up some tea or coffee. Then with only a light afternoon snack you are good to go until your end of the day meal.

blackwater slim
05-15-2012, 20:08
no I don't carry a microwave but if they ever make one light and packable..maybe

Rocket Jones
05-15-2012, 20:24
Breakfast: regular ol' cereal & powdered milk. Dehydrated quinoa with brown sugar, almonds and dried cherries. Non-instant oatmeal with walnuts and raisins. Fruit. Tea.
Lunch: mostly snacks, but the aforementioned PB & honey on tortillas, or a hunk of cheese and summer sausage with crackers and olives.

Cookerhiker
05-15-2012, 21:20

Just a suggestion: rather than starting a new thread in the "General" forum, go to the Cooking & Food forum and scroll down or do a search - you'll find a lot of threads with many ideas for you. For example: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80545-favorite-breakfast

Spokes
05-15-2012, 21:45
Cookerhiker has a point. Of course most folks figure this sort of stuff out after the first resupply anyway.

I mean, watching everything your fellow hikers are eating is half the fun on the trail. :)

jakedatc
05-16-2012, 00:51
i need to start doing granola and powdered milk and/or carnation for a no-cook breakfast to save fuel and mix things up for summer. last trip i did hot chocolate and cream of wheat since it was cold still.

lunch.. granola, PB, pop tarts, granola bars. i brought PB and pita bread to make a sandwich of sorts but never bothered so i'll probably skip the bread.

Don H
05-16-2012, 07:16
Strawberry Pop Tarts with frosting. Keep 'em in the box so they don't get crushed.

bigcranky
05-16-2012, 07:36
I like the frosted raspberry better, but they are harder to find. And even crushed any poptarts still taste good.

daddytwosticks
05-16-2012, 07:55
Typical...fried apple fruit pie and hard boiled egg for breakfast. Snack, snack, snack. Bagels and PB for lunch. Snack, snack, snack. Then dinner. :)

Old Boots
05-16-2012, 09:20
Granola bars for breakfast, snack on Snickers, Clif Bars, peanut butter and crackers who'd sale on the trail. At camp salmon or tuna or jerky, tortillasand cream cheese. After set up. Ramen or mashed potatoes or pasta side.

turtle fast
05-16-2012, 11:27
Poptarts can be your friend, can be breakfast, lunch, or a snack. No cooking necessary...with frosting too is a plus.