PDA

View Full Version : Caledonia to Pine Grove Furnace

dperry
05-16-2012, 12:51
Hello, All,

The wife and I are doing our next section Memorial Day weekend between Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace State Parks in PA. Some questions:

1.) Are there any good places to camp between Middle Ridge Road and Milesburn Cabin? The first day, I'm shooting for between 5-8 miles; Quarry Gap shelter is way too close and Birch Run too far. (The second night we'll be at Toms Run.) If there was a good place close to Milesburn Cabin without actually trespassing on PATC property, that would be particularly good, as it would be nice to have water nearby.
2.) Speaking of water, how's it doing around there? The NOAA maps indicate that precipitation has improved over the last month or so, but is still lagging behind normal for the YTD.
3.) How far is Dark Hollow vista from the trail? If it's close, it would be nice to get another good view (since the only other one seems to be Sunset Rocks) but if it's going to be a ways, we might just drive to it someday.

Any other information that people feel would be good to know would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

tdoczi
05-16-2012, 14:51
3.) How far is Dark Hollow vista from the trail? If it's close, it would be nice to get another good view (since the only other one seems to be Sunset Rocks) but if it's going to be a ways, we might just drive to it someday.

since youre doing such low mileage i'd go for it. i'd guess its less than a mile and on dirt road.

gwb
05-16-2012, 16:21
If I remember right I camped just North of Milesburn Cabin. Closer to Ridge Rd.(dirt road, may be gated?) than I prefer but it didn't appear over used or abused. After climbing the short hill following the cabin watch to your right side. Explore around, there are some nice private spots behind the obvious ones. Not sure of the legalities of camping there, if I remember it is State Forest. Maybe someone else will chime in... Or check your guide book.

dperry
05-21-2012, 07:23
since youre doing such low mileage i'd go for it. i'd guess its less than a mile and on dirt road.

Well, for us it isn't such short mileage, but looking at the map, it appears to be about .6 of a mile, so it might be worth it.

tdoczi
05-21-2012, 09:31
Well, for us it isn't such short mileage, but looking at the map, it appears to be about .6 of a mile, so it might be worth it.

once youre on top of the flat its super easy terrain also.

i guess what i meant by the mileage remark was something more like obviously you are going to be taking a good number of breaks, so why not take a short detour to find a good place to take one?