PDA

View Full Version : Physically Preparing For a Thru Hike

Josh Calhoun
05-16-2012, 14:11
i am Through Hiking 2013. and i was wondering how yall physically prepare. i go to the gym this and that. but nothing is like having a 30lb back pack on your back. the closest mtn to me is about 1 hr away and cost for gas everyday just isnt possible. any suggestions that might have worked for you?

also the gym will not allow me to treadmill or step maching with my pack on.

Tom Murphy
05-16-2012, 14:30
Walk in morning and/or after supper with your pack as close to "trail weight" as possible.

Find a stadium or tall office building and walk the stairs. May want to start without pack and slowly add weight.

Deep squats and walking lunges with DBs

ATMountainTime
05-16-2012, 14:37
I work out at the YMCA, they dont like my pack on either.....A friend purchased a 15 lb lead vest at Golds Gym (i think). It's not quite 30 but it's helping.

ive also started taking yoga and swimming laps...im not much of a swimmer but i can tell its helped on my hikes.

ATMountainTime
05-16-2012, 14:38
http://www.weightvest.com/

this might be an idea too.....hell look at the guy on the ad...he's a thru hiker for sure! :)

perrymk
05-16-2012, 14:45
I walk my dog around the neighborhood each morning with a hydration pack on. I removed the water bottle and tossed in a couple of weights, 15 pounds total. It's small enough that I can still wear a reflective vest overtop (we walk in the early morning). A daypack can also be used. On the weekends we go to one of many local parks with trails and I wear an alice pack (old style army pack) loaded down with bricks and dayhiking stuff, about 30 pounds total.

I also enjoy weighlifting and am partial to a 20 rep squat routine. Google '20 rep squat' to find a similar program.

WIAPilot
05-16-2012, 15:21
http://www.weightvest.com/

this might be an idea too.....hell look at the guy on the ad...he's a thru hiker for sure! :)

This guy looks like he's on a suicide mission for the Al-Qaeda. Wear this in a crowded area and I can assure you that you will soon have the place all to yourself! :eek:

lemon b
05-16-2012, 15:23
My experience is only way to be in shape for hiking up and down everyday is to do so. What I'd do is hike local as much as is reasonable. Getting out to those Mountain whenever time and money allows. Nothing wrong with low miles at first either, hiking isn't a contest.

jersey joe
05-16-2012, 15:27
Go for a daily 3 mile jogs and do some pushups and sit ups. Getting in decent shape should be a life goal, not just something to be done before a thru hike.

Mags
05-16-2012, 15:28
This may help:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?188

Deadeye
05-16-2012, 17:14
Sure, hiking is great exercise to prepare for hiking, but if we had time to hike that much it wouldn't be an issue.

Get out as much as you can, but throw in a hardcore exercise program like Body for Life, P90X, or Insanity. You'll get in great shape, especially your cardiovascular system, and you'll likely lose a few pounds.

On the other hand, you're 24 - it's not going to take you very long to get in shape (unless you're in real crappy shape, in which case, see above).

Feral Bill
05-16-2012, 17:20
If possible, park your car and walk or bike everywhere. It gets built into your routine, is fun, and saves money.

Lemni Skate
05-16-2012, 18:55
Run. That'll do it.

bwburgin1015
05-16-2012, 21:15
I have a 60 lb vest I bought on eBay. No problems at any gym...I just told them the first couple of days then they just got use to it! Also the weights are removable at 4lbs a piece. No need to pay the big money on weightvest.com.

Montana Mac
05-16-2012, 21:42
I wore 5lb ankle weights to help build up the legs.

leaftye
05-16-2012, 23:22
I spend a lot of time outside of walking & hiking to strengthen my ankles. Those are my weak spot.

Compound leg exercises help give the strength for accents.

Doing a lot of fast walking, even on flat pavement, gets my feet tough so I don't get blisters when I hit the trail. This also helps me adjust my biomechanics to walk quickly.

I still do some hiking on a nearby mountain. It helps, but I think squats and the walks on flat land does more. Mostly because that mountain is steeper than climbs on the PCT, so it slows me down enough to alter my biomechanics. I notice that if I switch to doing a lot of time on that mountain, my first time will be the fastest and will progressively slow.

I don't train with much weight. Mostly the weight I'd need for food and water for the day hike. My pace on flat land is roughly 3.3 mph with breaks. On the trail it's 2.7 mph with breaks. It's only a slight drop, and I think it's because my pack is fairly light.

I haven't thru hiked though. My longest hikes in the past half year have ranged around 75 miles. I road walked a couple hundred miles earlier this year though. On those trips my body felt great.

I'm still preparing my body. Making it more bulletproof. I'm also quite overweight. I'll lose most of the weight before I try to thru hike again, which should make it easier to keep my pace close to my training pace and reduce my risk of injury.

q-tip
05-16-2012, 23:41
I have used the program in the book: Climbing, training for peak performance. Clyde Stoles I have been training for a colorado trail thru hike for four months. It is definitely worth it for me, not suffering to the max makes the trips much more enjoyable.

stranger
05-16-2012, 23:50
i am Through Hiking 2013. and i was wondering how yall physically prepare. i go to the gym this and that. but nothing is like having a 30lb back pack on your back. the closest mtn to me is about 1 hr away and cost for gas everyday just isnt possible. any suggestions that might have worked for you?

also the gym will not allow me to treadmill or step maching with my pack on.

I'm preparing for a 500 mile hike this summer, I hike a pretty rough 8 mile trail 2-3 times per week with my pack fully loaded, about 20-22 lbs. In addition to this I do some interval run/walk routines on a treadmill, usually for about 3 miles or so...sprint for 2 minutes, walk for 4, jog for 10 minutes, walk for 5, etc....

The best 'substitue' for actual hiking in my experience are stairs, NOT stair machines...but actual stairs. 20 minutes each morning of walking stairs with a full pack does wonders, especially if you can throw in some hiking and running. Also with stairs, I like to alternate, so walk every stair, then double step, etc...breaks it up a little, becomes more realistic.

stranger
05-16-2012, 23:50
Bad spelling...should read 'the best substitute'

Fetter
05-17-2012, 02:30
I was actually wondering the same thing...I've been doing crossfit for going on a year now and am in great shape, i know nothing compares to having a backpack for a best friend for 6 months but I'm sure regular gym time is crucial

Bronk
05-17-2012, 05:17
Consider the first 150 to 250 miles of the trail your 'training' or 'getting in shape.' You don't have to bust out 20 miles a day from the beginning. Very few do. Its not unusual for people to do 5 to 10 mile days for the first couple hundred miles until they get into shape. It took me a month to get to Hot Springs and when I got there many of the hikers in town were people that I met within the first few days of my hike.

Velvet Gooch
05-17-2012, 05:52
Got a picnic table? Climb it. I'm serious. Up and over, back and forth

Theosus
05-17-2012, 06:59
Backpacker recommends pushups sit-ups and crunches to help with core strength, carrying the pack weight and improving balance and balance recovery.
I don't have many hills around. I put on a full pack every weekend and walk four miles, but it's not helping for hills. I have a treadmill and every night raise it to 8 degrees, and walk uphill for three miles. I calculated it once, it's equivalent to something like 2000' elevation gain. It helped, and I've lost weight and gained leg definition, but I know I need to do more. Downhills still kill me. If only I could run the treadmill backward...

Spokes
05-17-2012, 07:50
Core work yes. If you have the money, get and do the 60 day Insanity program. Yes, it'll humble you. I'm doing it now. The fit test on day 1 killed me and that was even after I completed a couple marathons in the last 6 months. Yikes!

Or for free, do the 8 minute ab workout (second link below) about 10 times a day for the next 2 months. You'll still think all this crazy exercise wasn't enough when you finally hit the trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLK28BHJDd8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkKCVCZe474&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cheers!

garlic08
05-17-2012, 09:01
Muscle strength is one very important thing, cardio another, but there are some other physical conditioning aspects not often discussed.

One is your connecting tissues. Inflamed knees and ankles and vertebrae disks can end a hike. I'm not a fitness expert, but a sensible weight training program may be helpful for the connecting tissues. So is hiking, biking, etc. Diet and hydration probably play a very important role. Genetics may be most important of all, and we should be aware of our limitations. Be careful about stretching, especially when cold. This may be heretical, but I stopped having tendon issues when I stopped stretching--I was obviously doing it wrong and was better off just not doing it, and warming up slowly every day. Yoga may be the best exercise, but it never appealed to me personally.

Another is your skin. Blisters can make your first weeks miserable, jarring pain with every step. I think the only way to condition your skin is to hike long days with appropriate footwear, pack, terrain, and weather. Barring that, be very careful in your first weeks and learn blister care. Chaffing is a big problem for many. Sunburn, insect bites, fungus, boils, and poison ivy are also common and painful skin ailments. But other than working on a tan and learning first aid, there's not much you can do ahead of time for those.

Energizer Bunny
05-17-2012, 14:03
Work on your hamstrings. That has Made all the difference on my long hikes

MyName1sMud
05-17-2012, 15:41
If possible, park your car and walk or bike everywhere. It gets built into your routine, is fun, and saves money.

I did that in my old college town of Starkville, MS. Now that i'm back in my hometown right outside of Jackson, MS.... it's not as easy to ride a bike everywhere. In fact its not even safe to do so. Cars are EVERYWHERE and there is no bike lanes on any of our roads like there was in Starkville.

I just don't feel safe even trying it.

Live_for_hiking
05-17-2012, 16:19
I've been sitting behind a desk for over a decade. I am out of shape! I too will be making an attempt in 2013. What have I done so far? More importantly, what have been my learning experiences?

1. I get on an elliptical 3-4 times a week for 1-1.5 hours. All that does is improve my cardio. I did not have too difficult a time cardio wise my first time out.
2. I have plans to hike regularly through November. Don't start on a tough section ... I did and I paid the price. I did the DWG to Wind Gap section as my first overnight hike. The boulders, rocks and two days of rain tweaked my left knee (an old injury) and a slip strained my groin. Darned those PA rocks! :)
3. Nov-January I intend on doing the P90X core routine. It focuses on stretching and yoga. Once per week, I will strap on my AT weight pack and climb stairs. Stair climbing is to maintain my trail-specific muscles.

Now, I have an appointment to see an sports medicine doctor and intend on hitting more tame trails to build up my hiking legs and joints. I will also include much more stretching and joint meds in the regiment. Ultimately, you need trail time to get ready.

Feral Bill
05-17-2012, 17:21
I did that in my old college town of Starkville, MS. Now that i'm back in my hometown right outside of Jackson, MS.... it's not as easy to ride a bike everywhere. In fact its not even safe to do so. Cars are EVERYWHERE and there is no bike lanes on any of our roads like there was in Starkville.

I just don't feel safe even trying it. Some places are definately more bike friendly than others. It's not really a matter of bike lanes so much as education and culture. When enough bikes are out and about and following traffic rules even busy arterials are safe.

Which reminds me, time to ride to work.

MyName1sMud
05-17-2012, 17:34
Some places are definately more bike friendly than others. It's not really a matter of bike lanes so much as education and culture. When enough bikes are out and about and following traffic rules even busy arterials are safe.

Which reminds me, time to ride to work.

See you're lucky. No one around here rides on the streets other than the Natchez Trace and i can't really use it to get to work. It's all Interstate miles to get to where work.... REALLY REALLY blows!

johnnybgood
05-17-2012, 17:56
Biking to work here just isn't feasible and quite honestly it's dangerous. The best places to ride bicyles in this area is at local parks although one must still drive there.
I get the sense there are bike friendly cities where short commutes to work can be made using two wheels instead of four.

House of Payne
05-17-2012, 18:15
I started training for my summer hikes already. These workouts are different from my typical routine, which are generally cardio. I have put on a couple of leg weights per leg and done some serious stair master time 3x a week and I have put in 45 mins workouts 2x a week for nautilus sessions. The weight training I just do legs and torso to supplement the stair machine. So far so good.

Mountain Mike
05-17-2012, 18:21
Walk, walk & then walk more. Anything you can do with even a small daypack will help. Months before my PCT hike a 4 mile walk home became standard.

Pedaling Fool
05-17-2012, 19:34
On one hand I want to say cycling is safe, I've been doing it as my primary form of transportation since ~1987. But on the other hand I wouldn't want to take anyone, who is not experienced, on one of my rides. I ride on roads, many of which do not have bike lanes and I must assert my right to the road in a lot of cases. I feel safe, but I'm also a very defensive rider and I'm always looking out for a car, including behind me using my mirror.

Supposedly Florida is the Death Capital of the US with respect to cyclists http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-02-28-florida-pedestrians-cyclists-deaths_N.htm , has been for a while, but I don't really see much of a difference than any of the other states I've riden in, but then again, like I said, it's something I've been doing for a long time and I'm very defensive and the cars do know what I intend to do.

It's an important part of keeping myself physically active. I do it so much I don't even have a clue what the current gas prices are here :)

P.S. Yes, I do follow all traffic rules, including stopping at stop signs/lights.

garlic08
05-17-2012, 19:37
I firmly believe it was my bicycling to work through my entire engineering career that kept me in good enough shape to start thru hiking when I retired. I enjoyed cycling more than driving and that was plenty of motivation. I never imagined I would be reaping the dividends long afterwards.

rocketsocks
05-17-2012, 19:49
If your anything like I was.And had to get back in shape coming of an illness,than this might work for you.It was a gym type ball that was flat,called the "The Bean"and allowed me to do some sit-ups with out having to lay on the hard floor,(as any exercise passed about 75 degrees was out of the question)Funny thing I'm back to using it,after some flare-ups,It's all good,and makes doing sit-ups a joy(if that can actually exist).:)

Josh Calhoun
05-18-2012, 12:44
thanks for all the replies. i will try a few of these ideas. i am in pretty good shape. recently lost 22 lbs last month working out and eating right. puts me in the 180's. legs are strong from bieng in the business i am for the last 6 years. anybody ever put there pack on and just walk up and down the rd? i have 3 very steep hills in my neighborhood.

Kinnickinic
05-18-2012, 16:23
While in San Antonio this past winter, I joined a Gold's Gym. It had a treadmill that went downhill as well as up. I wish there were one at the fitness center in my town. The point is that at least one model does that.--Kinnickinic

leaftye
05-18-2012, 17:07
anybody ever put there pack on and just walk up and down the rd?

I have strong legs, and my pack is pretty light, so I don't feel like I benefit from using extra weight when I train. The weakest parts of my body only feel like they're being stressed if I walk quickly when I train, so I'm actually better off without a pack. If you had a weak back or weak legs, then I'd absolutely encourage using the pack.

vamelungeon
05-18-2012, 18:23
I'm more worried about the mental aspect of thru hiking. When I finally get to do a thru, I figure I'll get conditioned more and more every day physically but that it might be too easy to listen to that little voice in the back of my mind that questions why do something so difficult. I've had to smack that little voice down in the past but he seems to always get back up eventually.

WIAPilot
05-19-2012, 03:40
I'm more worried about the mental aspect of thru hiking. When I finally get to do a thru, I figure I'll get conditioned more and more every day physically but that it might be too easy to listen to that little voice in the back of my mind that questions why do something so difficult. I've had to smack that little voice down in the past but he seems to always get back up eventually.

I'm not questioning why I'm doing something so difficult...that's why I'm doing it to a degree. The mental part for me is to figure out how best to survive the rain, insects, shelters, cold, humidity, ticks, boredom of laundromats :), grunginess, and what charity I will then donate my "too-small" shoes to. (Hey. I could buy a nice car for what all my shoes cost! LOL). To me it is all about being prepared and preventing injuries. Reading the journals of others has been a big help! And don't even get me started on the leeches...

House of Payne
05-20-2012, 06:06
Vam brings up a good point, aside from the physical conditioning part of training there is also the mental side. I have also started to read bloggers journals and have found them very helpful. I have been comfortable with my physical abilities/limitations with backpacking as long as I have been doing it but to mentally prepare is another thing entirely.

leaftye
05-20-2012, 06:33
The mental difficulty often comes from the physical difficulty. When it's an easy pain free walk down a mountain trail instead of a painful struggle, it's easier to find ways to enjoy the time out there instead of finding excuses to go home early.

tomman
05-20-2012, 07:55
Wal-mart has a 25 pound weight vest that is reasonably priced. You can add 2 five pound ankle weight and you have 30 pounds. I plan to try this because if necessary I can ware it under my work out shirt when I am on the treadmill and the stair climber.

stranger
05-20-2012, 08:06
Consider the first 150 to 250 miles of the trail your 'training' or 'getting in shape.' You don't have to bust out 20 miles a day from the beginning. Very few do. Its not unusual for people to do 5 to 10 mile days for the first couple hundred miles until they get into shape. It took me a month to get to Hot Springs and when I got there many of the hikers in town were people that I met within the first few days of my hike.

This wouldn't be 'training'...the whole point of training is to avoid this...so you don't have to walk 5-10 mile days (unless you want to). Personally I find starting a long hike in very goog trail shape makes a huge difference to my overall enjoyment, more people should start hikes trail fit in my view.

But sure on a AT thru-hike, you have plenty of time to work yourself into shape if you choose to.

stranger
05-20-2012, 08:09
'Good' not 'goog' damn IPads

Live_for_hiking
05-20-2012, 09:12
I think taking the time to condition your body to trail life prior to an attempt will highly increase your chance of success. I think many desk jockeys will find themselves with potentially significant injuries, strains, pulls, tears, aches, etc if they don't spend some time getting their body prepared for the pressures associated with long distance backpacking.

House of Payne
05-20-2012, 11:05
I think taking the time to condition your body to trail life prior to an attempt will highly increase your chance of success. I think many desk jockeys will find themselves with potentially significant injuries, strains, pulls, tears, aches, etc if they don't spend some time getting their body prepared for the pressures associated with long distance backpacking.

I like stranger and lives thoughts on this one, thank god I'm not a desk employee. I think one thing I could add to this is diet. I'm not sure how far ahead I would really get into this but if your body is a little more prepared to eat different foods and calorie intakes this may make a difference in early trail life as well. Anyone prepare this way as well as physical conditioning?

English Stu
05-20-2012, 12:03
The negative voice can be tiring and tiresome. Called different things- a Yin and Yang thing out of balance, left brain,right brain, positive,negative thoughts. Got to shut it up. Keep positive voice going by telling yourself how good you going and point out to yourself interesting trees and things of interest. Sing, Mp3,poetry.

This is what I once read, long winded but para phrase it to something easier,last sentence just about does it. In short get mind under control.
Or
Place hand over heart as if you are speaking to yourself from there, say the following statement quietly to yourself.This is my mind and my body and my life; I am the rightful owner of all of it and it is my desire to assume complete and total ownership over it. As I rightful owner I commend the negative inner voice to leave now.
Works well for skiing when little voice tells you to do things better.

Bronk
05-20-2012, 20:43
This wouldn't be 'training'...the whole point of training is to avoid this...so you don't have to walk 5-10 mile days (unless you want to). Personally I find starting a long hike in very goog trail shape makes a huge difference to my overall enjoyment, more people should start hikes trail fit in my view.

But sure on a AT thru-hike, you have plenty of time to work yourself into shape if you choose to.

My point is that you can't "avoid this." If you're not in shape you're not going to do 20 miles a day right from the start, whether it be training at home or hiking on the trail. Even if you do "training" at home before you leave, you're going to be starting that training slow and building up. It makes no difference if you do that at home with weights in a vest or on the trail with your pack on...in fact, I'd argue that simply hiking the trail is the best training because that is ultimately exactly what you are getting in shape for.

This issue has been argued before, and I just don't see the logic of the people who say you are foolish for not training before you start the trail. That is like saying you must train on a treadmill in your home so that you will be in shape before you venture to take a walk through your neighborhood.

leaftye
05-20-2012, 22:44
Training on the trail means that if you get an overuse injury, your hike is likely over. Any maildrops sent are wasted postage, and probably wasted food. That job that was quit for a thru hike was now given up for no reason. The memories of the hike are suffering, futility and a loss of time and money with no accomplishment.

Training on the trail means learning how to use your gear, and then seriously digging into your budget when you find that your gear is inappropriate, or making foolish mistakes like bouncing sleeping gear up the trail because it was too heavy.

Training on the trail is what countless hopeful record setters do every year on any of the long trails. Some of them are even in good physical shape, but they haven't exercised that muscle between their ears. Look at incomplete list from the last couple of years and see what caused them to quit:
Coyote Rob
Sam Fox
Run Bum (Sean Blanton)
Sam Gardner

Even going slow costs more, especially if you try to ride out an overuse injury by recuperating in town or flying to and from the trail.

Train at home and an overuse injury just means laying off for a little while. It doesn't have to cost anything more than a few hours of week. Going out on shorter trips allows gear to be sorted out. It might be a little heavy, but the short duration brings minimal risk of overuse injury, and the weight reduction on the training hikes go towards reducing the chance of overuse injury on the thru hike.

Mags
05-20-2012, 22:57
Never understood this "training on the trail" philosophy.

I love my thru-hikes. I truly did.

But I also love my weekend backpacks, my mid-week climbs, my morning bike rides to work, an after work hike to watch the sunset or a full moon hike to a favorite place.

Television sucks. An active lifestyle is fun.
I dont train...I just get outside whenever I can.

It is fun.

And it makes the long hikes easier.

:)

stranger
05-21-2012, 08:18
My point is that you can't "avoid this." If you're not in shape you're not going to do 20 miles a day right from the start, whether it be training at home or hiking on the trail. Even if you do "training" at home before you leave, you're going to be starting that training slow and building up. It makes no difference if you do that at home with weights in a vest or on the trail with your pack on...in fact, I'd argue that simply hiking the trail is the best training because that is ultimately exactly what you are getting in shape for.

This issue has been argued before, and I just don't see the logic of the people who say you are foolish for not training before you start the trail. That is like saying you must train on a treadmill in your home so that you will be in shape before you venture to take a walk through your neighborhood.

That is just your opinion...and in my experience it's incorrect

I trained for my 2008 section hike and averaged 17+ miles per day through Georgia, was doing 20's before reaching NC and never had what I would consider a really tough day even pulling 24-27's in TN and VA, and I was only out for 540 miles...Because I trained prior to starting.

Remember training doesn't require you emulate exactly what you will be doing, if you train to 30-40% of what you plan on doing...it's amazing what can be done when the trip starts.

Or do nothing and spend a month sitting around camp each day for 5 hours cause it hurts to hike further than 9 miles, to each their own

DavidNH
05-21-2012, 08:56
the best thing you can do to prepare to thru hike the AT is to do some backpacking before hand. Weekend trips, Weeklong trips if you can swing it. This will familiarize yourself with your gear, what works and doesn't work, give some confidence and build strength. Beyond that, just walk a few miles per day in your neighborhood. The real conditioning happens ON the trail!

Pedaling Fool
05-21-2012, 08:56
... the closest mtn to me is about 1 hr away and cost for gas everyday just isnt possible. any suggestions that might have worked for you?....Stay away from low-impact machines at the gym, such as elliptical machines, they are actually bad for the body, because they don't provide the impact that is unavoidable in life, especially life on the trail with a pack on your back. As others have said focus on the connective tissues and muscle balance, i.e. don't just do exercises that build up, say your quads, you must build up all muscles.

You're actually fairly close to the mountains, need to get out there for practice hikes on the weekends, they can be very helpful, even if you only get a couple weekend hikes before your thru, it will help in more ways than just physical preparations.

garlic08
05-21-2012, 09:08
...I trained for my 2008 section hike and averaged 17+ miles per day through Georgia, was doing 20's before reaching NC and never had what I would consider a really tough day even pulling 24-27's in TN and VA, and I was only out for 540 miles...Because I trained prior to starting.

Nice post. That was my experience exactly on my '08 thru hike. I was out of GA on day 4, despite what I considered a slow start (16 miles the first two days). I never even noticed the MUDs and PUDs everyone was talking about; instead, I enjoyed a world-class footpath through some beautiful, rugged terrain. My eyes weren't stinging from sweat, so I could look around and enjoy those first days. I trained for it like Mags (in fact, I trained for it with Mags, in the Colorado Front Range), just doing fun stuff like backcountry skiing and hiking and generally staying off the couch.

...Remember training doesn't require you emulate exactly what you will be doing, if you train to 30-40% of what you plan on doing...it's amazing what can be done when the trip starts.

I'm curious where you get that percentage. It sounds like an industry standard I've never heard about. It sounds right and it's pretty much what I go for. I'm heading out on a cross-US bicycle tour next week and plan on cycling about 500 miles per week. I've been training at 150 to 200 per week just because it feels right and I won't hurt myself at that level.

stranger
05-21-2012, 21:29
The 30-40% figure is only my opinion, based on my experiences over the years. The way I see it, training is all about straining and recovering, but more importantly...consistency. You need to train hard enough to strain your body, but have enough down time to recover, and manage to keep it up for weeks on end.

It's not possible for most hikers to 'train' by hiking 100 miles a week, not living in a city with a full time job and family responsibilities. But for me, it's possible to train 25-30 miles per week on trail, then do some cardio at the gym to make up another 10%, etc...It's achievable and realistic, and builds strength.

I'm currently preparing for a 500 mile hike this summer, I am doing the following:
- hiking an 8 mile section of rough trail, twice weekly, with a 20lb pack
- run/walk interval training at gym, 2 days per week, distance of 3-4 miles...or around 45 minutes

As the trip nears, I will ramp up the on trail hiking to 3 times per week when I can (won't alwasy be possible),increase the interval training to 3 days per week, and add in 1 day a week of climbing a local Sydney stairwell (22 floors) with my pack.

Another huge benefit of training is blisters, I often blister when training...which tells me I'm doing something right. I find a tough hike followed by some running can expose those soft areas on the feet. Another trick I find works well is training in soaking wet feet...again, might as well make it as realistic as possible.

Finally, training makes me feel great, I eat better, I feel better and I spend more time in woods.

Malto
05-21-2012, 22:16
The 30-40% figure is only my opinion, based on my experiences over the years. The way I see it, training is all about straining and recovering, but more importantly...consistency. You need to train hard enough to strain your body, but have enough down time to recover, and manage to keep it up for weeks on end.

I would disagree with this for someone who is looking to do a faster trip. My rule of thumb (for high mile days) is being ABLE to day hike 150% of your desired average mileage prior to starting. Why? Unless you can do frequent back to back days in training I would recommend not pushing to beyond 65-70 % of max during any given day of a sustained hike. The cumulative effect will not allow it to be sustained without injury. How to train/prepare
1) get to ideal weight.
2) lighten your pack weight, it will make training with weight pointless.
3) trail run.
4) my favorite, do a very fast walk at lunch or in the mornings. Maintaining a 4.5 mph walking speed will get you in shape.
5) fast walk on the treadmill. My favorite routine: walk at 3mph and increase by .1mph until you can't go any faster. For me that's about 5.5mph. Then go back down at .1 mph increments until 3mph. Then set treadmill at 4.5mph and increase 1 degree incline per minute till you can't go any higher. Back down 1 degree per minute. Get good at this and follow 1 and 2 above and I will guarantee you will be in shape.
6) if you can hike then do the longest day that you have time for. A ten mile hike is much better than two five milers. If a hike is shorter than you would like, speed it up. Training your body to walk fast will prepare it to walk long distance at moderate speed.
7) I would not train with extra weight. I believe that is a good way to get hurt.

As allow ymwv

MuddyWaters
05-21-2012, 22:42
I have always worked out with heavy weights, 3-4 days per week. I work each bodypart about once every 5-7 days with weights. Shoulders, traps, Arms, legs, chest, back, calves, etc. dont miss much. My legs and calves are very strong.

I also do intense cardio on an elliptical machine for about 25 min too. Im talking hard to breathe, dripping wet with sweat for the last 10 min type cardio. Both physically and mentally taxing to push yourself.

I dont notice any difficulties going out and hiking with mileage from 15 to 20 per day, right off the couch.

My hip flexors get fatigued and a bit sore, my hip joints also may get really sore. By day 3 I am feeling more powerful than day 1 or 2 as well.

stranger
05-22-2012, 07:45
I would disagree with this for someone who is looking to do a faster trip. My rule of thumb (for high mile days) is being ABLE to day hike 150% of your desired average mileage prior to starting. Why? Unless you can do frequent back to back days in training I would recommend not pushing to beyond 65-70 % of max during any given day of a sustained hike. The cumulative effect will not allow it to be sustained without injury. How to train/prepare
1) get to ideal weight.
2) lighten your pack weight, it will make training with weight pointless.
3) trail run.
4) my favorite, do a very fast walk at lunch or in the mornings. Maintaining a 4.5 mph walking speed will get you in shape.
5) fast walk on the treadmill. My favorite routine: walk at 3mph and increase by .1mph until you can't go any faster. For me that's about 5.5mph. Then go back down at .1 mph increments until 3mph. Then set treadmill at 4.5mph and increase 1 degree incline per minute till you can't go any higher. Back down 1 degree per minute. Get good at this and follow 1 and 2 above and I will guarantee you will be in shape.
6) if you can hike then do the longest day that you have time for. A ten mile hike is much better than two five milers. If a hike is shorter than you would like, speed it up. Training your body to walk fast will prepare it to walk long distance at moderate speed.
7) I would not train with extra weight. I believe that is a good way to get hurt.

As allow ymwv

I think training is a very personal thing and what works for one person might not work for another. We both speak from experience and those experiences are not wrong, but different.

Plus, attempting to train at 150% of what you expect to do is both unrealistic and extremely time consuming for most people...therefore unachievable . By those standards on my 2008 hike I should have trained by hiking 26 mile days to average around 17-19...when in fact I was hiking about 4 miles, 3-4 days per week and had no problems.

Record attempts or speed hiking aside...the 30-40% figure will work very well for many (not all) people.

Pedaling Fool
05-22-2012, 12:21
I think all this talk about intensity level is interesting, not that I have any words of wisdom in this area, since I've never trained for a major event. But I would tend to agree with Stranger's approach for endurance events, but would increase training regimen for short-term events, such as a one or two day events. But I'm no expert and like he said it's somewhat of a personal thing, although there are some exceptions, there's also some good rules of thumb.

I see the way I train, it's far more important to not exert myself too much, however, I do go into the "red" quite a bit, but in the big picture it's not all that much.

P.S. when I say, "train", I'm in training not for a race or to set a personal record. My training is all centered around being an exceptionally well-conditioned old guy, I want to still be able to ride my bike and hike and run... well into my ... whatever age I attain :D I will NOT live in an assisted living facility or with relatives; I plan on being self sufficient until I leave this rock ;) that's my only goal.

Off to the beach for a run :sun

House of Payne
05-28-2012, 11:20
I think training is a very personal thing and what works for one person might not work for another. We both speak from experience and those experiences are not wrong, but different.

Plus, attempting to train at 150% of what you expect to do is both unrealistic and extremely time consuming for most people...therefore unachievable . By those standards on my 2008 hike I should have trained by hiking 26 mile days to average around 17-19...when in fact I was hiking about 4 miles, 3-4 days per week and had no problems.

Record attempts or speed hiking aside...the 30-40% figure will work very well for many (not all) people.

I totally agree with strangers last post. Everyones training will be different to suit their own styles. Overall I agree that training needs to be a part of the preparation of ones thru, but the training routines need to fit each persons abilities.

Currently I am training for this summers backpacking trips. I am incorporating some new workouts that have changed with the way I have worked out in the past. What works for me this year will help incorporate what I do to train for my thru the following year.

So far the stair master has been one of the biggest changes. I have been able to set up the machine on heavy workout days to simulate tougher days on the trail and on nautilus days I set the machine up for a lighter workout. It's worked out so far and I feel much better.

The nautilus days have been lower body workouts for the most part with a shorter stair master workout at the end.

I'm liking the thoughts of when the thru begins that my body will already be fit and that I can avoid some of the starting aches and pains associated with not being prepared.

House of Payne
05-30-2012, 08:19
So far this week has been incredible in the workout department. I have done increases on most everything and the body is keeping up with very little residual affect. Aches and soreness are about normal. I'm off to the Blue Hills in Mass to do a small stretch to test my Merrel Camelion 4's on some inclines and get the real feel of the shoe.

Velvet Gooch
05-30-2012, 08:56
Steel-cut oats, cardio, deadlifts. Also, deadlifts. Did I mention deadlifts? Deadlifts <---THIS

Pedaling Fool
05-30-2012, 09:37
Weightlifting is one of the best things one can do to maintain a healthy body and it doesn't even need to include weights, just keep them joints moving and strong

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oldest-female-bodybuilder-loves-pumping-iron-090442237--spt.html

Oldest female bodybuilder loves pumping iron

(http://www.reuters.com/)NEW YORK (Reuters) - As an active 77 year old, Edith Wilma Connor enjoys doing step aerobics with her great-granddaughter. But pumping iron is the real passion of the oldest female competitive bodybuilder.

"When I'm getting ready for competition, I go as heavy as I can," said Connor, who was awarded the title by Guinness World Records. "To me it's fun to add another 25 pounds (11.3 kilograms) and do it."

Connor, who is based in Denver, Colorado, is a late bloomer who began to pursue fitness in her 60s, to counterbalance the sedentary work the data entry company she owned with her husband demanded.

"It was something I could do by myself, for myself," Connor explained. "It was a tension releaser. I sit at a computer all day, so it was one way for me to take it out on the weights instead of the employees."

On her 65th birthday she entered her first competition, the Grand Masters in Las Vegas, and won first place.

"At that point, I was hooked," said Connor who went on to become a certified personal trainer specializing in the mature body.

Her day starts with an aerobic or other warm up exercise followed by weight training. Typically for bodybuilders, all body parts are not trained during each session.

She works out at least three times a week and does not diet, preferring to follow the nutritional guidelines she developed over time for her body type.
"I allow myself a few pounds, until my clothes don't fit right, then it's got to come off," Connor said. "It's a mindset."

She lost her husband of 57 years two weeks after her last competition, in 2011.
"But he did get to see my Guinness certificate," said Connor, who is on the mend from shoulder surgery in November.

"I've started back," she said. "I started doing weights again in April. I'm still sticking with my body building, although right now I feel I won't do any competitions this year."
Connor has not retired. She still runs her data entry business and continues to coach fitness and nutrition to her five female clients, all over 50 years old.
She has body building equipment in her home, along with a treadmill and a stepper for cardio work.

"At my age, I still like to move. I'm not the sedentary type," she said. "(Bodybuilding) gave me a good way out. Something I can enjoy, something I can pass on. And I am passing it on."
She has three sons, seven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

" My youngest son was my first trainer," Connor said. "Now my oldest grandson (also a certified personal trainer) is my trainer and my great-granddaughter works out with me."

She said winning the title of oldest female competitive body builder "made her day," and relishes the attention her unusual hobby-age combination attracts.

"At the gym one day I was with my trainer, who was putting the plates on (adding weights to the equipment) when a guy said to him, ‘Red, can you handle that?'" she said.

"The trainer told him, ‘Oh, it's not for me, it's for her.'" she added. "It was a lot of fun."

RED-DOG
05-30-2012, 09:52
The only way to get ready for the A.T is hiking the A.T,you can do whatever you want but nothing gets you ready except doing small weekend hikes on the A.T:mad:

Grampie
05-30-2012, 10:08
What I Discovered: A lot of folks feel that if they do a lot of prehike training their hike will be a piece of cake. Especialy the younger set. It doesn't matter what kind of prehike training you do you can not duplicate the riggors of walking 15 miles a day with a 30 lb. pack on your back, eating crappy meals, sleeping in les than ideal conditions, in bad weather and thinking about what you left back home to do a thru-hike.
My advise is don't do any special training. That's not what will get you to Katahdin. Start by talking to those who have done a thru. Read all you can about the AT experience. Test your gear before you go by doing a few easy overnight hikes. Prepair your mind by making the seperation between the thru-hiker experience and what is at home. Keep your ties to the off trail life to a minimum.
A thru hike is more of a mental chalange, for many, rather than a physical one. Once on the trail it's easy to hike into trail shape. Do low miles at first. Take a "0" now and than to rest your body. Build up your daily milage gradualy over the first 2-3 weeks.
Most of the younger hikers soon give up because they realize what a hard job it is and discover how hard it is to devorce themselves from the off trail world. Most of all remember to "Hike you'r own hike." Don't let others dictate your schedule. Happy trails to you.

Pedaling Fool
05-30-2012, 14:35
The only way to get ready for the A.T is hiking the A.T,you can do whatever you want but nothing gets you ready except doing small weekend hikes on the A.T:mad:I generally agree, but many, including the OP can't get to the mountains for a hike as much as he would like (and hiking on level ground does nothing -- I know this because I live in Florida). Hiking the AT is tough on the joints and weightlifting helps with that, as does running and it's a good thing for general fitness, should be something all of us hikers want...gotta always be ready for a hike.

BTW, what's up with the :mad: .... :confused: Next time you're feeling mad, just click on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9PBchR3Fj8&feature=related)

rocketsocks
05-30-2012, 19:02
If and when my time comes around,I'll be taking a page or two from the book that says,get fit,and do as much pre- training as you can,It'll only help.

stranger
05-30-2012, 22:45
The only way to get ready for the A.T is hiking the A.T,you can do whatever you want but nothing gets you ready except doing small weekend hikes on the A.T:mad:

Great theory....

In pratice it's probably not possible for most people to do this, even then, just sticking to weekends won't get the job done. Training for something almost always consists of emulating your chosen activity to the best of your ability, and not without faults.

Hiking is best...no question, but if you live in Ohio then what? You do what you can with the resources you have, as often as you can.

rickb
05-30-2012, 23:27
If and when my time comes around,I'll be taking a page or two from the book that says,get fit,and do as much pre- training as you can,It'll only help.

Especially if you are 50 (I rounded up) and not 24.

rocketsocks
05-30-2012, 23:34
Especially if you are 50 (I rounded up) and not 24.Aye...........

perrymk
05-31-2012, 04:41
Just a thought.

I'm willing to bet many people have said something to the effect of "I wish I had gotten into a little better condition for this hike. It's more difficult than I anticipated"

I'm willing to make an equal bet that no one has ever said anything to the effect of "I wish I hadn't spent so much time physically preparing for this hike. It's too easy now."

I suspect it will be like army basic training. Everyone had it rough. But those who had never done a push up in their life had it rougher.

Grits
05-31-2012, 07:32
Hike Crowders Mountain I dont think it is an hours drive from Charlotte.

House of Payne
05-31-2012, 08:08
I agree with most of the recent posts except for red dog. although I believe that on trail training should be a part of my routine but i know that it shouldn't be the only thing.
yesterdays workout consisted of 1.5 hrs of cardio at the gym in the morning (combo of stair master and a leg workout) and the mid-morning took me to the trail for 2.5 hours. My dog and I hiked 5-6 miles doing mainly inclines. The muscles felt good, I feel that the previous months worth of work has done me good after feeling really well after the workout.

And this morning I woke up with very little discomfort ( all but the celtics loss last nite) a little soreness in the ankles but nothing more.