PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 5 day July hike in Ga,tenn or NC

traderbob
05-16-2012, 14:17
It's a first time on the trail. We are 50 and 57 years old in good shape, have some camping skills,good walkers. I have a freind in the GA. mountains that can help us with a shuttle so we dont need to do a loop. It would be nice to see a waterfall,follow a ridge with some veiws, have a canopy of old trees, and maybe visit a nice fishing spot. Thinking 4 or 5 days in july.

MkBibble
05-16-2012, 14:33
I'm sure others will have plenty of more unique ideas, but Amicalola Falls, Long Falls, and Three Forks (pretty sure people were fishing when I went by), are all near the beginning of the trail. There are also plenty of fairly convenient places for your friend to pick you up.

Rightfoot
05-16-2012, 14:43
Start at Carvers Gap and head NOBO. An easy day into OverMountain Shelter for the first night. Awsome views on balds and the shelter is one of a kind. Stay the next night at Mountain Harbour in the hiker hostel and have breakfast the next morning. One of the top three breakfasts you will ever have on the trail for only $9.00. Stay the next night at Mountaineer Falls shelter. A fairly new shelter and a nice walk to get there. Continue NOBO and stay at Moreland Gap. The shelter here is kind of rough but there are good camping sites all around. Stay the last night at Kincore Hostel and meet Bob Peoples (a legend of the trail and a super man). All of these days are if I remember correctly no more than 9ish miles. There are some super views on each day of the hike also. I mentioned the shelters, If you prefer to tent as many of us do, there are numerous options through out this segment.

Rightfoot

samgriffin4
05-16-2012, 19:56
Have you considered deviating from the AT?

traderbob
05-16-2012, 20:46
Have you considered deviating from the AT?

We are looking to hike 5 days/4 nights at the most not so worried about how many miles per day (on the lesser side of course). Just looking for the best scenery and some good fishing along the way. Anywhere from Georgia, North Carolina or Tennessee. Starting point does not matter. Deviation is not an issue. The bigger the adventure the better.

Papa D
05-16-2012, 21:14
if you want to deviate from the AT, I could strongly recommend Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness - - waterfalls, ridges, old growth trees, wildlife, everything you asked for - - absolutely ideal for a 5 day trip - - private message me and I'll set you up. If you know Tipi Walter from this website, you might see him - - he basically lives there - - not kidding.

traderbob
05-17-2012, 07:47
Papa, Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness. Old growth trees,waterfalls can't ask for anything moore sounds wonderful.

FatMan
05-18-2012, 08:31
Hike the Foothills Trail in SC. It has all you want and more.