PDA

View Full Version : Blister Treatment

alanthealan
04-08-2005, 12:54
I can't decide what to use to prevent a blister from infection. Iodine, it dries and allows moleskin/gelpads to stcik. Atiboitic cream with all kinds of stuff for treatment, but had a residue.

Footslogger
04-08-2005, 13:30
None of the typical blister treatments are really going to prevent infection for very long unless you can clean the area and and then keep it clean (germ free)and dry.

That said ...about the best thing you can do in the field is clean the area as best possible with hydrogen peroxide (or alcohol if you don't mind the sting/pain) and then fan it dry. Apply a pad/bandaid with a small amount of antibiotic ointment and then cover that over with tape of some sort.
As soon as you are in town or a hostel, clean the blister area again and allow it to be exposed to the air until you head back out in the woods.

'Slogger

orangebug
04-08-2005, 14:06
The best way to prevent infection is to leave the blister intact. Allow it to subside overnight, and protect it with a dressing. I prefer duct tape, as it adheres well to wet feet, stops friction and protects the region from further injury.

You can put some gauze on it if you wish, but that has the risk of adding friction.

There are other treatments such as Biocclude/gas permeable membranes, moleskin (difficult to cut and shape), and others.

hiker5
04-08-2005, 14:56
I'm puzzled when people state that duct tape will stick to wet feet. I have tried to apply duct tape to trouble spots on my feet prior to hiking (when my feet are dry). Unless the tape is contacting itself (around a toe), I usually sweat it off while hiking.

Next on my list to try is New Skin. Any blister treatment/prevention advice specifically for those of us with super sweaty feet?

Footslogger
04-08-2005, 15:00
Any blister treatment/prevention advice specifically for those of us with super sweaty feet?============================================= =
Try a little powder ...especially on the toes and heel. Won't last too long but does work.

'Slogger

Peaks
04-08-2005, 17:01
I'm puzzled when people state that duct tape will stick to wet feet. I have tried to apply duct tape to trouble spots on my feet prior to hiking (when my feet are dry). Unless the tape is contacting itself (around a toe), I usually sweat it off while hiking.

Next on my list to try is New Skin. Any blister treatment/prevention advice specifically for those of us with super sweaty feet?

Dry the feet first with alcohol

icemanat95
04-08-2005, 17:38
Dry the feet first with alcohol

If you have areas of your foot that tend to blister, tape 'em up BEFORE they blister. Use waterproof first aid tape. It'll stick when everything else fails, but will still come off at the end of the day.

Keep your feet clean. I use baby wipes, wet ones or Wash 'n' Dr wipes. Then powder. Gold Bond medicated is nice.

Take care of your feet and keep the blisters under control or you will be sorry.

Moleskin demands a good pair of scissors. It works well in combination with waterproof medical tape.

Iodine is a good disinfectant BTW.

alanthealan
04-08-2005, 19:28
My feet sweat allot. I just switched to trail runners and cool max socks... we'll see if it helps.

What kinds of alcohol? Just Isopropyl or will HEET and such that I use for my stove work also?

digger51
04-08-2005, 19:37
As a heavy foot sweater I rely on an old bowling remedy. I apply a liberal amount of clear fingernail polish to hot spots. Made it from Springer to New York in 01 with two blisters and to Hot Springs last year with only one.