PDA

View Full Version : Stanky Water Sources on the AT

rickb
05-16-2012, 19:49
This poll asks about the stankiest water sources your have drunk form on the AT. Please check all that apply.

rocketsocks
05-16-2012, 19:51
check..........?

rickb
05-16-2012, 20:08
This question probably applies mostly to SOBOs who have to deal with dried up springs that were simply wonderful earlier in the year.

rocketsocks
05-16-2012, 20:25
This question probably applies mostly to SOBOs who have to deal with dried up springs that were simply wonderful earlier in the year.Oh,rich the poll portion was not showing before,now it is.White Blaze being Wonky again.

rickb
05-16-2012, 20:37
I've always had fun with polls-- this one probably doesn't live up to some of my better ones. I wanted to capture the experience of getting to a muddy water source with so little water in it you need to get creative just to fill up a pot. But this one wasn't very well crafted.

I think my favorite poll was when I asked what rank people earned as a scout.

In any even one of the strange things about creating a poll is that you need to your upload your introductory post before you craft the poll question and create the poll choices. At least the way I have always done it. I think that might dissuade people from creating more of them. You have to take a leap of faith that everything will come together.

Personally I would encourage people to make them. I always find the range of answers fascinating, and often not what I expected at all.

rocketsocks
05-16-2012, 21:09
I've always had fun with polls-- this one probably doesn't live up to some of my better ones. I wanted to capture the experience of getting to a muddy water source with so little water in it you need to get creative just to fill up a pot. But this one wasn't very well crafted.

I think my favorite poll was when I asked what rank people earned as a scout.

In any even one of the strange things about creating a poll is that you need to your upload your introductory post before you craft the poll question and create the poll choices. At least the way I have always done it. I think that might dissuade people from creating more of them. You have to take a leap of faith that everything will come together.

Personally I would encourage people to make them. I always find the range of answers fascinating, and often not what I expected at all.True,I wanted to but couldn't figure what was what,and always wrote it off to me being well, stupid. LOL

Sarcasm the elf
05-16-2012, 21:30
This question probably applies mostly to SOBOs who have to deal with dried up springs that were simply wonderful earlier in the year.

That's because the smelly NOBO's drink it all! ;)

CrumbSnatcher
05-16-2012, 21:41
water fountain at high point state parkheadquarters
smelled real bad like rotten eggs(sulfur) never did drink it though

Pedaling Fool
05-17-2012, 08:28
I drank from a source in New Hampshire that meets the criteria of the top 4 of the poll. I probably should have boiled it, but wanted to exercise my immune system, it was getting a little soft on all the pristine springs and creeks. :)

WingedMonkey
05-17-2012, 09:24
Somewhere in Maine (I ain't looking it up) I was hiking into the dark (not unusual). It got too dark and I got too tired and the area was flat and the trail was flooded, so I set up camp.

After carrying a filter almost 2,000 miles that I seldom used, I didn't use it that night either.

At daylight, I saw why the trail was flooded. I was surrounded by beaver dams.

I didn't die.

;)

peakbagger
05-17-2012, 10:09
I had to dig out a hole in mud pit in Va in the fall. The water was black. I decanted it with a couple of pots about three times until it was clear and then did a double dose of Aquamira. Took me about two hours to get enough water for two folks.

The water source for Chairback Gap shleter in the 100 mile wilderness was pretty marginal, bascially drainage out of moose wallow and that was in July.

wookinpanub
05-17-2012, 10:11
The only water source that I ever refused to drink from was a spring hole in PA that was covered with dead gypsy moth caterpillars. I mean the entire surface was dead caterpillars. I walked 5 miles bone dry to get to the next source.

Moose2001
05-17-2012, 10:18
2003 at South Wilcox, the only water source was a mud puddle. Three of us were pumping from it and very quickly draining it. It go so low that the frogs started leaving! Wasn't the best water, did a good job of clogging my filter but it was water on a 90+ degree day!

Ender
05-17-2012, 11:13
Honestly, if you've thru-hiked, you should automatically check all the boxes.

Pedaling Fool
05-18-2012, 09:30
Can your filter, filter pee :)

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Are-Urinating-Swimmers-to-Blame-for-Lakes-Dead-Fish-151440935.html

Are Urinating Swimmers to Blame for Lake's Dead Fish?

German researchers have come to believe that a significant amount of human urine may be responsible for an algae bloom that poisoned over 500 fish at Eichbaum Lake in northern Germany.

“Swimmers who urinate in the lake are introducing a lot of phosphate” that can contribute to algae blooms, a spokesman for the Hamburger Angling Association told Bild newspaper. “We’re calculating half a liter of urine per swimmer per day.”

The Angling Association has been in a long-standing feud with the lake’s swimmers, according to The Local, so that number may be suspiciously high. Bathers are currently banned from the lake due to the high levels of algae, but the city’s Urban Development and Environment Authority (BSU) is working to re-open the lake for swimmers before the summer season starts.

To help resolve the whodunit, the BSU is calling in the local university to test the pee-death theory. According to The Local, the BSU believes that the fish deaths were caused by a combination of natural causes and something far less taboo than public urination: ice skating. “The ice-skaters make a noise that wakes the fish out of hibernation,” BSU spokeswoman Kerstin Graupner told the Local. “Then they can’t breathe and freeze. That’s a very common phenomenon.” Their bodies are only now being found.

For those questioning whether or not human urine could be responsible for fish death, the answer is yes. According to i09, the phosphates in human urine act like a fertilizer that can promote algae growth. Algae blooms deplete the oxygen available to fish, causing them to suffocate. Additionally, the scientists in Hamburg believe the algae that has bloomed in the lake is particularly aggressive, releasing a toxin that changes the lakes natural ammonium to the far more deadly ammonia, which restricts the fish’s breathing.

garlic08
05-18-2012, 11:44
I just saw a rerun of "Super Troopers" last night and caught the name of the beer the "undercover" cops were delivering to party at the end: "St. Anky's". Great scene, great movie.

RED-DOG
05-19-2012, 13:59
Black Swatara spring about five miles south of Eagles Nest Shelter in P.A. I Filtered it twice i felt like crap for about four days stay away from that one. RED-DOG :eek:

Del Q
05-20-2012, 07:12
Water near the shelter by McAfee Knob..........scooped mud water with a gatorade cap, took a long time, puddle was shared with a frog who stared me down during the process.