PDA

View Full Version : shuttles and tips

T Rex
04-08-2005, 12:55
:confused: What is the proper etiquette when getting shuttled. Should the driver be tipped?

Wondering
T Rex

Lone Wolf
04-08-2005, 13:14
If you're paying a set fee for the shuttle then no tip.

A-Train
04-08-2005, 13:19
on the other hand, if someone gives you a lift to town (a hitch) or goes out of their way for you, its nice to offer them a couple bucks, offer to buy them a sandwhich or coffee or something like that. Some of the folks I got to know a bit while being driven, and asked for their address and sent them a postcard with my summit pic afterwards. People always like hearing about how your trip went. You shouldn't have to ever pay for a short hitch to town, but on extended trips, its nice to offer, especially with gas sky rocketing lately.

T Rex
04-09-2005, 10:47
Thanks for your input. Yes, I should have clarified that the shuttles I was talking about were pre-arranged with an outfitter. I have been assuming no tip, b/c it is a business.

Smile
04-09-2005, 13:01
Sounds like a personal preference, if they are super helpful with your gear, offer. Can't hurt to offer a kind word as well if you don't want to tip.

I guess if I were a shuttle person... deep down I'd be wishing I was the one who was going on that hike........ :)

1Pint
03-15-2007, 10:16
I'm restarting this 2-year old thread to see if you all think the answer is still the same....

As I get ready for my shake-down hike, I realize I have no idea what is the right thing to do. If I'm paying a set per-mile fee to a shuttle provider, should I also offer a tip? If so, what amount/percentage is appropriate?

Thanks!
Laura

mrc237
03-15-2007, 10:25
I always tip if its not the owner of the service. I suppose now that fuel is again on the rise shuttle prices will be higher. Greedy stockholders!!!:)

Skyline
03-15-2007, 10:32
I always tip if its not the owner of the service. I suppose now that fuel is again on the rise shuttle prices will be higher. Greedy stockholders!!!:)

Wait til Howard Stern is over today. You'll be hearing from Wolf.

Lone Wolf
03-15-2007, 10:58
Wait til Howard Stern is over today. You'll be hearing from Wolf.

i listen to howard and post on here at the same time. what do you want to hear from me? as far as tipping, no. when i give shuttles i tell the person the price and that's it. if i offer a ride for free and someone wants to give me a sawbuck, i might take it.

Skyline
03-15-2007, 11:17
i listen to howard and post on here at the same time. what do you want to hear from me? as far as tipping, no. when i give shuttles i tell the person the price and that's it. if i offer a ride for free and someone wants to give me a sawbuck, i might take it.

So you sold your Exxon-Mobil stock? :-)

Lone Wolf
03-15-2007, 11:56
So you sold your Exxon-Mobil stock? :-)

huh? w tf you babbling about?

Bilko
03-15-2007, 11:59
I have taken quite a few shuttles over the years. Some shuttles as long as 100 plus miles, some as short as 30 miles. I always tip. I tip around 10 percent or on occassion we have stopped for a meal and I will cover the cost of their meal. My shuttle rides can be as interesting as the hike. If I get alot of good stories and information, I might tip higher. Mountain Moma and her husband drove me around SMNP to the Hotel Hilton, in the middle of the night. That was some shuttle, it was worth every penny.
The best etiquette? Have them shuttle you before you hike. That way you hike back to your vehicle. Otherwise, the driver will have to put up with your smell the entire shuttle.

Skyline
03-15-2007, 12:28
huh? w tf you babbling about?

Man I thought you had a sense of humor.

Up there a few posts ago...mrc237 made a disparaging comment, possibly in jest, about the greedy stockholders of Big Oil. In that context, do my posts make sense?

Lone Wolf
03-15-2007, 12:29
oh. ok. missed it. he's just jealous.

Skyline
03-15-2007, 16:17

I understand, you were preoccupied... Howard was just so rivetting today.

Ain't Sirius grand?

mrc237
03-15-2007, 16:46

What do I have to be jealous about? I'm as good as you as a fresh air inspector! And besides Ex is in my porto as well!

astrogirl
03-15-2007, 21:00
I've taken a lot of shuttles since I'm a section hiker, and I never mind paying for it. It takes a *lot* of time for people to do that, nevermind the gas. People told me what they wanted, and I paid it. I rounded some up, but I didn't tip. I felt like they were personal deals, and they'd have asked for what they wanted.

The best etiquette? Have them shuttle you before you hike. That way you hike back to your vehicle. Otherwise, the driver will have to put up with your smell the entire shuttle.

I always hike back to my car. That way I don't have to worry about timing, and I can finish whenever I like.

camich
03-15-2007, 22:00
I've taken a lot of shuttles since I'm a section hiker, and I never mind paying for it. It takes a *lot* of time for people to do that, nevermind the gas. People told me what they wanted, and I paid it. I rounded some up, but I didn't tip. I felt like they were personal deals, and they'd have asked for what they wanted.

I always hike back to my car. That way I don't have to worry about timing, and I can finish whenever I like.

We have also taken a lot of shuttles. We've never really tipped... but a couple of times we just paid a little more because the serivce was better than expected. Several shuttles have driven our car from the drop off point and parked it at the end. We tend to pay more if the shuttle is using their own gas.

Painted Turtle
03-16-2007, 17:24
I am list as a shuttle provider and for the most part I do it because I want to help,not for money. As so many others I know what its like to want to hike and need help. IF I have to drive to MA or NY then all I ask is that my gas tank is refilled with what I used. A few have insisted on showing me their gratadute, which I take, but not looking for. Good conversation and knowing that I help is good for me.

Max Power
03-18-2007, 13:03
The comment, "I have been assuming no tip, b/c it is a business" cracks me up! Every restaurant you are in is a business, every cab you take is a business, I'm sure you leave tips for them.

Tipping brings to mind the movie "Pulp Fiction."

I'm not a fan of tipping. I shuttle people all day long during the peak hiking season and get very few tips the entire seasons, and am perfectly fine with that.

I think tips should only be given if the driver supplies very very valuable info, or does something that they went out of their way for you.