PDA

View Full Version : Eno doublenest or Hennessy expedition?

Brooney
05-17-2012, 08:45
Hammock noob here, and I'm doing a 100 mile AT hike in Sept. I'm debating on which one to get. This weekend REI has the doublenest for $45, but I'm assuming I'll probably spend close to $200 after I get the net and fly anyway. Hennessy would come in around $200 after all is said and done. Thoughts?

romany
05-17-2012, 09:00
I'd say the Hennessy...it's a well thought out system...comfortable, fairly light, easy to get in and out, bugproof and stays clean. but check www.hammockforums.com (http://www.hammockforums.com) for more info.

1azarus
05-17-2012, 09:15
I'd say get more opinions. some love hennessy hammocks, others hate them. as romany said, they are a well thought out system which makes it relatively easy for a new hammock user to get started -- but, as a system, the hammock lacks the flexibility and ease of entry that a simpler hammock has. I would definitely go with ANY simple gathered end hammock, bug net and fly over a hennessy. By the way, unless you are a "big guy" the double hammock may be way more fabric than you really need to be comfortable. I've used both the double and single hammock, and have settled on the single as meeting my comfort needs at the lightest weight. There is no really wrong decision here -- if you like hammocks, you'll probably end up getting a second one soon enough!!! You can let your friends use the one you like the least.

Cadenza
05-24-2012, 21:13
I would definitely go with ANY simple gathered end hammock, bug net and fly over a hennessy.

Agreed!
Hennessy would be my LAST choice for a hammock.

If you want one of the "full-featured" type hammocks with bells and whistles,....have a look at Clarks Jungle Hammocks.
I've got three of them. If I had it to do over I would avoid the NX models with the fiberglass poles.
My favorite model is the Ultralight.

The hottest thing on the hammock market currently would have to be the Warbonnet Blackbird.
It's simple, no frills, but has what you need,...and the price reasonable.

But like they say, "Different strokes for different folks."

bigcranky
05-25-2012, 08:49
I've had the same Hennessy Hammock since 2003. It's still in excellent condition. I prefer the bottom entry of the Hennessy over others I've tried. The only upgrade I've done is to buy a Maccat Deluxe tarp for better coverage.

I'm heading out tomorrow for a longish section and will use the Hennessy and be comfortable and happy.

scree
05-25-2012, 11:10
I own an ENO Singlenest, a Warbonnet Blackbird, and a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym. I carry the fist-sized ENO in my day pack for hanging around wherever. It would not be suitable for overnights in either mosquito infested areas or cold weather without a lot of modification. The other two are both double walled which prevents bites from flies / mosquitoes that could otherwise bite through the single layered ENO, and are built to accept insulation systems / underquilts.

Lately I use the Warbonnet for sleeping and would recommend it - I own their 3/4 underquilt and have been very happy with it, also use a random silnylon tarp. Just keep in mind that by the time you've modified an ENO with bug netting, insulation, and so on you'll have invested a lot of time and probably still spent quite a bit too - IMO the ENO is really meant for meant hanging around in parks, forests, backyards, stairwells, etc rather than living out of.

RWheeler
05-25-2012, 12:13
I'm new to hammocking as well, and I took a TarpTent Contrail on my NOBO section(/thru attempt) this year, for comparison. I picked up an ENO Doublenest from the REI sale, and while I really enjoy it for just relaxing, I highly doubt I'd take it overnighting/backpacking. When I add a fly and anything else to make it a suitable sleep system, I'd be at the same weight/bulk as a 2P tent, probably.

I am starting to look into options for an overnighting hammock system, though... but I can already see that the ENO won't be part of it. Just a nice, cheap around-the-house hammock if you ask me.

free66
05-25-2012, 13:39
Hammock noob here, and I'm doing a 100 mile AT hike in Sept. I'm debating on which one to get. This weekend REI has the doublenest for $45, but I'm assuming I'll probably spend close to $200 after I get the net and fly anyway. Hennessy would come in around $200 after all is said and done. Thoughts?

I own 6 hammocks including the two you mention. When I'm hiking long distance i take my Warbonnet Blackbird. As far as I can tell..... it's the best available.

Rickard
05-25-2012, 13:51
I love my Hennessy Expedition. A good friend of mine has the Eno DN, and is very happy with it using whoopie slings and the Kelty 9 tarp. I really do like the Warbonnet Blackbird myself, but at $175 for my desired options, without a fly .. that's a bit expensive to start out with. I do have one of the Superfly tarps though, so when I'm ready for my next hammock it won't be such a hit on my wallet to get a complete system.

The standard tarp for the expedition is workable in the rain if you take it off the suspension and use a separate ridgeline. Otherwise it's pretty useless in rain with high winds.

Hammock Forums would be a great venue for this question.