PDA

View Full Version : Newfound to Davenport or Vice Versa

dlittle
05-17-2012, 10:35
Greetings,
Looking to do this section in 2 nights, mid June
60+ years old with a bum hip. Accustomed to doing 10 mile hikes.
Which direction would you suggest?

Thanks
Doug

bigcranky
05-17-2012, 14:12
Start at Newfound Gap. Definitely. It's not a difficult section, but there is a long steep downhill coming out of the park. Not sure it breaks up into 10 mile days -- if I recall correctly the shelters are maybe 8 miles apart. I started late afternoon at NFG and hiked to Icewater Springs (~3 miles), then Tricorner Knob, then out to Standing Bear Farm on the last day. But that was a very long last day.

moytoy
05-17-2012, 15:38
what bigcranky said! But sometimes with a bad hip it's easier to climb than to descend. The climb out of Davenport gap is a long climb.
If you start at NFG this might be a good time to try trekking poles if you are not already using them.

Kerosene
05-17-2012, 17:11
I was going to suggest the same. In that scenario, I'd suggest you park at Standing Bear Hostel and arrange a pick-up for Newfound Gap.

ParkRat09
05-17-2012, 20:15
Greetings,
Looking to do this section in 2 nights, mid June
60+ years old with a bum hip. Accustomed to doing 10 mile hikes.
Which direction would you suggest?

Thanks
Doug

I just finished Fontana Dam to Newfound Gap yesterday! NO QUESTION that Newfound to Davenport is easier. Mostly downhill except for a few good climbs but significantly more difficult in the other direction. Someone mentioned Standing Bear Hostel which is a great place to sleep and get a pick up from a shuttle (hostel is $15 for dorm room or $20 for a cabin so well worth it). They don't take reservations but frequently have room.

jump start
06-17-2012, 14:47
Newfound gap to davenport if your knees are good. In my opinion that is the best part of GSMNP. Although summer views will be farther and fewer between due to the foliage.

flemdawg1
06-19-2012, 11:42
Newfound gap to davenport if your knees are good. In my opinion that is the best part of GSMNP. Although summer views will be farther and fewer between due to the foliage.

Just did DG-NFG 2 weeks ago. The views were awesome, especially betwwen Charlies Bunion and Cosby Knob (it was nearly continuous it seemed).