PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Pole question

Veetack
05-17-2012, 14:09
So I just got my trekking poles in the mail today (a day early no less! I <3 USPS) and I've never used them. I'm wondering how tall they should be adjusted. Right now I have them just below the solar plexus and they feel pretty good, but I've yet to get on the trail with them. Any suggestions?

Rasty
05-17-2012, 14:44
Take on trail and adjust after a while. So far I only adjust longer when I know I will be going down hill for a while.

Theosus
05-17-2012, 14:45
Turn them upside down, put the handle on the floor. Grab the pole just below the "cup", so the round disc thing is resting on top of your thumb/forefinger. Your elbow should be right at 90 degrees. if you don't have the round disc thing, leave about two inches of pole sticking through the top of your closed fist.

On steep downhills you can lengthen them some, and on severe uphills you probably will shorten them some.

peakbagger
05-17-2012, 15:20
I do the 90 degree adjustment for flat a level and usually for up hill, but I definitley lengthen them on steep downhills. If you have twist locks, get in the habit of checking them on occasion especailly before starting a downhill.

leaftye
05-17-2012, 15:29
90 degree elbow length is a good place to start. Adjust if necessary to feel comfortable. I keep my poles shorter than most.

kayak karl
05-17-2012, 15:33
there are a lot of youtube vids. check with the comp. that sold yours. worth a try. i know pacerpoles has a few.

QiWiz
05-17-2012, 17:06
Turn them upside down, put the handle on the floor. Grab the pole just below the "cup", so the round disc thing is resting on top of your thumb/forefinger. Your elbow should be right at 90 degrees. if you don't have the round disc thing, leave about two inches of pole sticking through the top of your closed fist.

On steep downhills you can lengthen them some, and on severe uphills you probably will shorten them some.

+1 exactly

MyName1sMud
05-17-2012, 17:32
^^^ I love that name!

Papa D
05-17-2012, 21:50
most people don't know how to properly hold / use the leashes on trekking poles they way they are designed - maybe this will help you; PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION AT MINUTE 1:53 - she sort of glosses over it a bit but HOW to hold the pole, using the leash for support is something that i think about 90% of newbies miss.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXVMA5nShA

Amanita
05-17-2012, 22:37
If you have experience cross country skiing, poles will probably feel very natural. Otherwise they may take a little practice. Most of the time you want your opposite foot moving forward at the same time as the pole.

As for length the 90 degree rule is a good place to start. Instead of lengthening mine for downhills I move my palm up to the top of the grip, which is much faster and works just as well for me.

Odd Man Out
05-18-2012, 15:03
I have no problem with the alternate foot pattern when walking at a slow pace. But when I am walking quickly (on level ground) my arms/poles have a hard time keeping with my feet. Then I use a different rhythm, although it's probably the "wrong" way to do it.

Rasty
05-18-2012, 15:35
I have no problem with the alternate foot pattern when walking at a slow pace. But when I am walking quickly (on level ground) my arms/poles have a hard time keeping with my feet. Then I use a different rhythm, although it's probably the "wrong" way to do it.

I use opposite foot on level and uphill but switch to same foot going down. Seems to work for me.

Rif
05-18-2012, 21:58
I owned BD Ergo Corks for a while and was constantly adjusting them for each hike to find the sweet spot for me. In the end I found somewhere around the 90 deg arm bend to be a good compromise. I now own a pair of Leki Micro's, the ones that break down with a cord inside and they are fixed height at 130cm which feels perfect. With the correct strap use I can quickly switch from a regular grip to a palm on top grip easily. I switch back and forth between grips and between an opposite foot and matching foot pattern when hiking depending on terrain and my speed. I like them for stability when on rocks or rock hopping across streams, slowing my descent on downhills and for a bit of an arm workout when speed hiking on day hikes for fitness.

With the Leki micros it is easy to stow them inside my daypack and then grab either one or both as needed. My regular poles were just too long to stow inside the pack.

SunnyWalker
05-22-2012, 12:54
Yep. Youtube.com

scree
05-22-2012, 13:10
I use opposite foot on level and uphill but switch to same foot going down. Seems to work for me.

I can only keep it consistent on straight and/or level terrain. If there are rocks, roots, anything else I just put the poles where they want to go. I have to concentrate really hard on keeping the prescribed rhythm and find it distracting - I guess it's easy for some people but not for me. Get the poles the right length for you, start walking, and if they seem to help you're doing it right.

I keep them strapped to the outside of my pack - I use an old ice axe style webbing loop that cinches over a buckle for the top of the poles, and a section of bicycle inner tube (aka ranger band) just above the baskets to keep the tips together. Very fast and easy to deploy or pack.