PDA

View Full Version : Transportation to the AT

PecosBackpacker
04-08-2005, 13:37
Hi All
I am planning on doing my section hike at the end of this summer. My plan right now calls for flying into Manchester Airport (NH). Since I will only be 20 then, I won't be able to rent a car in my name. My questions are:
A) If my parents rent a car under their name, will the rental company let me pick it up?
B) How long is the drive from Manchester to the Presidential Range?
C) If I cannot pick up a car, what are some alternative modes of getting to and from the airport?
D) Where can I get topo's of the area?

I know I can depend on WhiteBlaze to point me in the right direction. Any help is very greatly appreciated.

orangebug
04-08-2005, 14:00
You are screwed until you turn 24 for the rental car. Actually, this is okay, as you don't have to worry about being responsible for it parked at a trail head.

I'd suggest going to the ATC's website and getting information on shuttlers in the area, but I bet there are buses and such that may get you exactly where you hope to go.

The ATC will also have your maps.

Frosty
04-08-2005, 14:10
Hi All
I am planning on doing my section hike at the end of this summer. My plan right now calls for flying into Manchester Airport (NH). Since I will only be 20 then, I won't be able to rent a car in my name. My questions are:
A) If my parents rent a car under their name, will the rental company let me pick it up?.
No way. The problem isn't paying for the car, it is driving it as far as rental car company is concerned.

Try finding a shuttler:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/pdfs/ATshuttle.pdf

It may also be possible to take a bus from Manchester to Lincoln or Pinkham Notch.

Try Concord Trailways and Vermont Transit.

The Solemates
04-08-2005, 14:25
Despite the responses here, most rental car companies WILL let you rent a car if you are under 25 years of age, but you will have to pay an underage fee. This fee is usually $20-25 extra per day. We went to HI last year and rented a Jeep no problem.

Frosty
04-08-2005, 15:20
Despite the responses here, most rental car companies WILL let you rent a car if you are under 25 years of age, but you will have to pay an underage fee. This fee is usually $20-25 extra per day. We went to HI last year and rented a Jeep no problem.Well, that is nice aobut under 25 and all, but he is 20, and I doubt the rental car company will give him a car. I could be wrong. A quick call on his part will confirm.

Were you and your wife were both under 21 when you rented a car? I am surprised if this is true.

The Solemates
04-08-2005, 15:52
Well, that is nice aobut under 25 and all, but he is 20, and I doubt the rental car company will give him a car. I could be wrong. A quick call on his part will confirm.

Were you and your wife were both under 21 when you rented a car? I am surprised if this is true.

Good point. I was 23 then.

Peaks
04-08-2005, 16:58
If you are flying into Manchester Airport, then you need to catch a bus or taxi to downtown Manchester. In downtown Manchester there should be bus service to the Whites.

As an alternative, fly into Boston's Logan airport and catch Concord Trailways directly to Pinkham Notch.

hikerjohnd
04-08-2005, 18:01
Good point. I was 23 then.
And I assume married too. The biggest risk for insurance companies are unmarried males under 25. (ironically, single women over 35 come in 2nd...)

Jack Tarlin
04-08-2005, 18:14
There is bus service from Manchester; you can get to such places as Gorham, Lincoln, North Conway, or Pinkham Notch.

Call Greyhound in Manchester at (603) 668-6133 for details.

Peaks
04-09-2005, 08:07
There is bus service from Manchester; you can get to such places as Gorham, Lincoln, North Conway, or Pinkham Notch.

Call Greyhound in Manchester at (603) 668-6133 for details.

I haven't checked, but I assumed that the bus for Gorham, Pinkham, and North Conway went up Route 16 from Portsmith. I didn't know it connected through Manchester. I assumed that the bus that goes through Manchester goes up I-93.

swamp dawg
04-09-2005, 12:11
We have used the bus service out of Manchester several time in the past couple of years. The buses are clean and run on time so you should not have any problems. We are heading for Gorham in early May and plan to take the bus from Manchester, just allow enough time to get downtown to the bus station. Life is good on the trail......Swamp Dawg

Askus3
04-10-2005, 02:46
I would visitViews from the Top (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com) . At that website there seems to be someone coming and going all the time to and from the Boston area to the Whites. Just ask and give specific date and time and someone I am sure will give you a ride/shuttle. Not might you just get a ride but maybe a companion for your trek.