PDA

View Full Version : A New Pack Weight Formula!

Loopback
05-17-2012, 18:31
Everyone talks about straight pack weight. I was just reading a new thread under this one. People were actually arguing about it (though politely). The old, "this is my lower pack weight" and "my pack weight is heavier and I'm more comfortable" - you know. After I did a little "I'm so better than you" eye roll, I decided that a little math was in order. I put my considerable intelect to work.

Let's say you think you have a UL pack weight. I'm talking total pack weight, not base (and not skin out). Let's say your weight is 17 pounds with 4 days of food and 2 liters of water.

Sounds good, right? Now let's say you're an 52 pound 8 year old girl. That pack weight sucks.

On the other hand...let's say your pack weight for the same trip, with the same water is 35 pounds. Reasonable by some standards, heavy by others. But what if you're a 225 pound running back? That 35 pounds probably feels the same to you as a 7 pound pack to that 8 year old girl.

But what about us fatties?

Put your mind to rest. Here is the New Ultimate Pack Weight Comparison Standardization Guide, or the NUPWCSG (trademark pending).

You'll need a little data to begin.

First, you'll need some inexpensive body fat calipers and the chart that comes with them. The instructions are there, but basically, you'll grab a hunk of your "insulating layer" around your occipital bone and measure it with the caliper. You'll take that measurement, compare it to the chart and SHAZZAM! that's your estimated body fat percent.

Next, you'll have to actually weigh your pack. See other posts for instructions on this. And yes, there are some posts that describe this.

Finally, you'll need to weigh yourself - in the nude. This is the fun part. Make a game out of it!

Now you're armed with the necessary data to get your NUPWCSG rating.

Fill in the formula:

Step 1 - Nude Weight x Body Fat % = Weight of Body Blubber
Step 2 - Nude Weight - Weight of Body Blubber = Close To What Your Doctor Wants You To Weigh or Close To What You'll Weigh After Your Thru
Step 3 - Pack Weight /(that's divided by) Close To What Your Doctor Wants You To Weigh or Close To What You'll Weigh After Your Thru

Now you have a percentage (or will after you move that dot that's between the zero and first number on your calculator over two place to the right).

Follow this handy guide to see if your pack weight is good for you!

1% to 7% - You're a Super Duper Ultra Light backpacker who probably has a bad back from that paper thin pad. You like cold food and eat 4 peanuts a day. Aqua Mira weighs too much.
8% to 15% - You're an Ultra Light backpacker who probably uses a hammock. You're very smart. I like you. A lot.
16% to 25% - You think you're an Ultra Light backpacker, but probably have to defend that Jetboil kitchen from time to time.
26% to 35% - You should take a hiking partner with you and pawn off some of your gear on (most likely) him.
Over 36% - You don't really need the chair, or you need to eat a side of beef once a week to prep for your upcoming thru.

That's it! So please, from now on, don't just tell us your pack weight is this or your pack weight is that, it's not helpful. Tell us your percentage on the NUPWCSG. Give us a 14% and we'll be in envy. Tell us 27% and we'll know you're not really comfortable, even though you say you are.

Good day.

Storm
05-17-2012, 18:47
Somebody has entirely too much time on their hands.

oldbear
05-17-2012, 18:55
I tend to shy away from needlessly complex formulas and bastard numbers
Thus
Maximum packweight shall not exceed 25% of bodyweight
Maximum non -consumable weight shall not exceed 50% of that

leaftye
05-17-2012, 18:56
Or just carry as little weight as you can and stop comparing pack weights like you're comparing schlongs. Why anyone else would care, I don't know, unless they'll be carrying it. I don't even care what my pack weighs. It weighs as little as possible. What the grand total is doesn't matter at all. This is a very simple thing that people make way too complicated.

fins1838
05-17-2012, 19:13
Leafyye; EXACTLY ;-)

Mags
05-17-2012, 19:25
My kind of hiking math:

Six 12 oz beers = a six pack
12 oz = half a a case
24 pack = case

16 oz = 1 pt
20 oz = 1 imperial pt

Keg Specifications for
U.S. 1/2 Barrel (Standard Keg) 12 oz. Case Equivalent = 6.8 Cases
12 oz./can or bottle Servings= 165
16 oz./pint servings= 124

Other Dimensions of a Keg of Beer.
Full Keg Weight = 160.5 Pounds
Empty Keg Weight = 29.7 Pounds
Beer Weight = 130.8 Pounds
Height of Keg = 23.3 Inches
Diameter of Keg = 16.0 - 17.0 Inches
Contents in Gallons = 15.5 Gallons
Contents in Liters = 58.7 Liters

rocketsocks
05-17-2012, 20:24
Ok,those were the against crowd,now lets hear from the 4.

Veetack
05-17-2012, 20:29
Who has pinchable fat near their Occipital bone? I've always seen it done on the Humerus, using the fat over the tricep.

rocketsocks
05-17-2012, 20:50
Who has pinchable fat near their Occipital bone? I've always seen it done on the Humerus, using the fat over the tricep.That must have been an attempt at some ER humor,I like it.Can you really get lipo sucktion for those dropping saggy under eyes?

Leanthree
05-17-2012, 21:47
My 4 day pack with 2L water puts me in the unknown zone between 15% and 16%. What does it mean! Panic!!!!

Seems like a reasonable formula but anything that involves calipers and body fat is a good first step unrelated to backpacking.

stranger
05-17-2012, 23:05
Everyone talks about straight pack weight. I was just reading a new thread under this one. People were actually arguing about it (though politely). The old, "this is my lower pack weight" and "my pack weight is heavier and I'm more comfortable" - you know. After I did a little "I'm so better than you" eye roll, I decided that a little math was in order. I put my considerable intelect to work.

Let's say you think you have a UL pack weight. I'm talking total pack weight, not base (and not skin out). Let's say your weight is 17 pounds with 4 days of food and 2 liters of water.

Sounds good, right? Now let's say you're an 52 pound 8 year old girl. That pack weight sucks.

On the other hand...let's say your pack weight for the same trip, with the same water is 35 pounds. Reasonable by some standards, heavy by others. But what if you're a 225 pound running back? That 35 pounds probably feels the same to you as a 7 pound pack to that 8 year old girl.

But what about us fatties?

Put your mind to rest. Here is the New Ultimate Pack Weight Comparison Standardization Guide, or the NUPWCSG (trademark pending).

You'll need a little data to begin.

First, you'll need some inexpensive body fat calipers and the chart that comes with them. The instructions are there, but basically, you'll grab a hunk of your "insulating layer" around your occipital bone and measure it with the caliper. You'll take that measurement, compare it to the chart and SHAZZAM! that's your estimated body fat percent.

Next, you'll have to actually weigh your pack. See other posts for instructions on this. And yes, there are some posts that describe this.

Finally, you'll need to weigh yourself - in the nude. This is the fun part. Make a game out of it!

Now you're armed with the necessary data to get your NUPWCSG rating.

Fill in the formula:

Step 1 - Nude Weight x Body Fat % = Weight of Body Blubber
Step 2 - Nude Weight - Weight of Body Blubber = Close To What Your Doctor Wants You To Weigh or Close To What You'll Weigh After Your Thru
Step 3 - Pack Weight /(that's divided by) Close To What Your Doctor Wants You To Weigh or Close To What You'll Weigh After Your Thru

Now you have a percentage (or will after you move that dot that's between the zero and first number on your calculator over two place to the right).

Follow this handy guide to see if your pack weight is good for you!

1% to 7% - You're a Super Duper Ultra Light backpacker who probably has a bad back from that paper thin pad. You like cold food and eat 4 peanuts a day. Aqua Mira weighs too much.
8% to 15% - You're an Ultra Light backpacker who probably uses a hammock. You're very smart. I like you. A lot.
16% to 25% - You think you're an Ultra Light backpacker, but probably have to defend that Jetboil kitchen from time to time.
26% to 35% - You should take a hiking partner with you and pawn off some of your gear on (most likely) him.
Over 36% - You don't really need the chair, or you need to eat a side of beef once a week to prep for your upcoming thru.

That's it! So please, from now on, don't just tell us your pack weight is this or your pack weight is that, it's not helpful. Tell us your percentage on the NUPWCSG. Give us a 14% and we'll be in envy. Tell us 27% and we'll know you're not really comfortable, even though you say you are.

Good day.

Hike and exercise often, eat food...mostly plants and not too much...finally, take what you need and your pack will be fine, then go hiking

Loopback
05-17-2012, 23:06
Who has pinchable fat near their Occipital bone? I've always seen it done on the Humerus, using the fat over the tricep.

Take it from someone who has too much time on his hands, the occipital bone area is laden with fat (at least it does on a fat person). But you have to be a serious hiker to know what I'm talking about. Because that's what hiking is all about. Being serious. There should be no fun involved. Particularly in these forums. This is serious business. And most importantly, don't use sarcasm.

Loopback
05-17-2012, 23:13
Or just carry as little weight as you can and stop comparing pack weights like you're comparing schlongs. Why anyone else would care, I don't know, unless they'll be carrying it. I don't even care what my pack weighs. It weighs as little as possible. What the grand total is doesn't matter at all. This is a very simple thing that people make way too complicated.

This was what I was shooting for. I just overthought it.

Loopback
05-17-2012, 23:17
My 4 day pack with 2L water puts me in the unknown zone between 15% and 16%. What does it mean! Panic!!!!

Seems like a reasonable formula but anything that involves calipers and body fat is a good first step unrelated to backpacking.

Sucks that I have to tell you this, but you're in between 15% and 16%. That's bad. Really bad. You have to stop hiking. Seriously.

Loopback
05-17-2012, 23:19
My kind of hiking math:

Six 12 oz beers = a six pack
12 oz = half a a case
24 pack = case

16 oz = 1 pt
20 oz = 1 imperial pt

Keg Specifications for
U.S. 1/2 Barrel (Standard Keg)

12 oz. Case Equivalent = 6.8 Cases
12 oz./can or bottle Servings= 165
16 oz./pint servings= 124

Other Dimensions of a Keg of Beer.
Full Keg Weight = 160.5 Pounds
Empty Keg Weight = 29.7 Pounds
Beer Weight = 130.8 Pounds
Height of Keg = 23.3 Inches
Diameter of Keg = 16.0 - 17.0 Inches
Contents in Gallons = 15.5 Gallons
Contents in Liters = 58.7 Liters

I'm pretty sure that 12oz only equals half a case for hamsters.

Big Dawg
05-17-2012, 23:32
This was what I was shooting for. I just overthought it.

uhhhh,, ya think,, lol.

Funny thread,,, it should be in the humor section.

Oh wait,, you said "this is serious business". Ok then,, per your formula, my number is 14.5%,,, and no, I don't use a hammock. Once I finish shedding my massive amount of "body blubber",, then my % will be even awesomer, lol.

Loopback
05-17-2012, 23:35
uhhhh,, ya think,, lol.

Funny thread,,, it should be in the humor section.

Oh wait,, you said "this is serious business". Ok then,, per your formula, my number is 14.5%,,, and no, I don't use a hammock. Once I finish shedding my massive amount of "body blubber",, then my % will be even awesomer, lol.

I'm at 15.1. Blast! Now I'm envious.

Firefighter503
05-18-2012, 01:38
Pretty cool concept. By your math I am sitting right at about 8.6%, woohoo! Also, no hammock for me.

Just for comparison, by OldBear's math, an acceptable base weight for me would be about 32 lbs. No thanks.

Buffalo Skipper
05-18-2012, 09:18

That is so amazing! I fall right around the 10% range. I do use a hammock, I am very smart, and I am liked! A lot.

Spot on! I am so impressed. :D

GolfHiker
05-18-2012, 09:37
This is exactly why I love this forum. Clearly we can all agree Loopback has "too much free time", but hey, he had a lot of fun with this, made some great points, and made me laugh at his % guide. I may never actually learn my NUPWCSG, but I know the formula does exist.

kayak karl
05-18-2012, 13:59
im am not even bored enough to read it let alone compute it.
i vote humor section.