PDA

View Full Version : Just Got Back From My GSMNP Section Hike...

ParkRat09
05-17-2012, 20:11
...if anyone has questions about the park I've hiked almost the whole park and just did the AT there in 5 days 4 nights

Veetack
05-17-2012, 20:14
How easy is it from Mt Collins shelter to Newfound Gap? It's only like 4.3 miles and I'm picking some thru hikers up there tomorrow morning at around 8 or 830.

ParkRat09
05-17-2012, 20:21
It's not bad at all. Going down from Clingman's dome, so it's much easier than the section just before it.

Veetack
05-17-2012, 20:24
It's not bad at all. Going down from Clingman's dome, so it's much easier than the section just before it.

I'm well aware. I did Mt Collins to Clingman's headed south as the last leg of a 17-18 mile day a couple weeks ago. I wanted to die at the end of that.

johnnybgood
05-17-2012, 20:26
Give us a complete trip report with pictures.:)

ParkRat09
05-17-2012, 20:39
I don't know how to add pics haha but trip was as follows:

Day 1: Fontana Dam to Russell Field (13.5 miles)
Day 2: Russell Field to Doublespring Gap (16.8 miles)
Day 3: DS Gap to Icewater Springs (12.5 miles)
Day 4: Icewater Springs to Tricorner Knob (13 miles)
Day 5: Tricorner Knob to Davenport Gap (17 miles)

Trip Notes:
Ran into 2 black bears ON the trail the first day. Had to walk past a cub that was about 8 feet to my right off the side of the trail.

It rained for 3 straight days which made it much more difficult, which is the last thing that section of AT needs to be haha.

Temperatures were fairly mild except when it was raining hard, but slept comfortably at night with temps in 40s

ParkRat09
05-17-2012, 20:40
I'm well aware. I did Mt Collins to Clingman's headed south as the last leg of a 17-18 mile day a couple weeks ago. I wanted to die at the end of that.
Yea I don't blame you I'd be dead too

Bearpaw
05-17-2012, 21:58

Couldn't if he wanted. Trip report forum was wiped out a couple of months ago, along with several years of archived reports.

P-Train
05-17-2012, 22:26
I'm doing the exact same thing in July.
How were the water sources?
Did you climb the fire tower?
Were the shelters in good condition?

I figured I would only make it from FD to Mollies Ridge the first day. Up to 15 miles p/d is all I really care to do. Don't want to be in a hurry!

Thanks.

ParkRat09
05-17-2012, 23:04
I'm doing the exact same thing in July.
How were the water sources?
Did you climb the fire tower?
Were the shelters in good condition?

I figured I would only make it from FD to Mollies Ridge the first day. Up to 15 miles p/d is all I really care to do. Don't want to be in a hurry!

Thanks.
Water sources were scarce the first day, but generally you won't have an issue. They're at least at all the shelters so worst case you just hit those when you pass them. If we are still in a rain deficit here in TN in July when it's really hot then they might be harder to come by.

I didn't climb the fire tower because I was pretty much in the fog for 4 days so there was no point. I've also been up there before so I wasn't too eager to climb it again.

The shelters are in fantastic condition. They were all pretty much renovated within the last few years so they are great esp compared to places like GA. The only one left untouched is Davenport Gap shelter at the north end of the park.

I averaged exactly 15 miles per day (had two seventeen mile days tho), so I think that's a perfect pace for the park. Terrain from FD to Newfound is particularly tough.

grok120
05-17-2012, 23:36
I saw a cub and mother bear just past campsite 113 last Sat. They just laid right by the trail.

Loneoak
05-18-2012, 00:09
Hey Parkrat. Do you work a regular schedule at one store or the other. Mite want to pick your brain some soon. I met you at the Jennifer Pharr presentation downtown a few weeks back.
Shoot me a PM

MyName1sMud
05-18-2012, 11:20
Needs to be my next backpacking adventure.

Who is the best shuttle service for that area? Need a way back to the car.

P-Train
05-19-2012, 16:36
Thanks Parkrat!

ParkRat09
05-22-2012, 13:56
Needs to be my next backpacking adventure.

Who is the best shuttle service for that area? Need a way back to the car.
I've never actually used a shuttle service, but I have made and cancelled reservations with one before lol. They're called A Walk in the Woods and are super nice ppl with a great reputation. They'll take you anywhere inisde Park limits.

HikerMom58
05-22-2012, 15:07
Hey ParkRat.... My daughter and I are planning on doing your Day 4 & Day 5 section, the end of July. She is closing up a "gap". We plan on staying at Icewater and Tri-corner Knob-good to hear that the shelters are in good condition. I'm looking forward to the hike with her. Thanks for posting. :) Did you hang your food bag or use bear canisters through that section?

Veetack
05-22-2012, 20:44
Hey ParkRat.... My daughter and I are planning on doing your Day 4 & Day 5 section, the end of July. She is closing up a "gap". We plan on staying at Icewater and Tri-corner Knob-good to hear that the shelters are in good condition. I'm looking forward to the hike with her. Thanks for posting. :) Did you hang your food bag or use bear canisters through that section?
Icewater has the best view of any shelter I've seen in the park. Tricorner can get soggy if it rains.

Digger'02
05-23-2012, 14:15
...if anyone has questions about the park I've hiked almost the whole park and just did the AT there in 5 days 4 nights

Did you see any Ridgerunners?

Rosie
05-23-2012, 14:47
I did my very first ever backpacking trip with A Walk InThe Woods in the GSMNP. Vesna took a friend and I out for a weekend trip through the park--that's what I wanted to do to celebrate my 40th birthday. She studied with a Cherokee Medicine Man and knows alot about the edible plants in the park. She even packed a birthday candle and a twinkie as a birthday surpirse.

PapaGarrettP
05-23-2012, 14:55
Can't beat A Walk in the Woods. Erik gave us a ride from Davenport to Sam's a year ago. Spent the whole ride sharing his wealth of knowledge and experience on the trail. He even hefted each of our packs and recommended my son leave some stuff back in our truck (glad he did). They were very reliable and reasonable.

hikehunter
06-06-2012, 17:59
Got a few questions about the trails. Planning a BoyScout trip for July. Mt.Le Conte to Elkmont over 4days. where are the best side trails for good views?:banana