PDA

View Full Version : Pls help: rain pants vs. no pants dilemma

Cozy
05-18-2012, 07:35
Pls help. I'm really torn as to what to do. I'm doing a section hike in central VA to Harper's Ferry the end of May into June. Weather reports already show rain. I will be wearing nylon conversion pants and will have a pair of Columbia breathable waterproof rain pants. Some posts I have read said a person will get wet anyway inside the rain pants (sweat) while others say it's good to have for insulation purposes if the rain is cold and/or to wear as an added insulation (especially at night).

With the conversion pants be enough? Will they basically do what the rain pants will do? Weather is supposed to be low 50's to low 80's, but I realize temperature drops 3-4 degrees per 1000 feet, making this 40-70 degree.

Further info: I have a 40 degree bag with liner blanket I'm bringing.

(Yes, I'm from Florida -20 years now- but I grew up in the Northeast.) Would appreciate any opinions, as I'm a newbie, but especially from those who have hiked this region around this time frame.

Thx, folks.

Cozy
05-18-2012, 07:53
P.S. The conversion cargo pants are made of the Supplex nylon and are 13 oz.
Rain pants are 10 oz.
(I also have a pair of Columbia water resistant nylon pants at 9 oz. but it only has one pocket.)

Don H
05-18-2012, 08:12
40 degree bag might be a little light.
If it's cold and raining you need rain or wind pants to keep you warm, not dry. You're gonna get wet either from sweat or rain but you need them to stay warm. I ditched my rain pants in Harpers Ferry around the first of June. My convertible hiking pants kept my legs warm enough after until I got to NH.

garlic08
05-18-2012, 08:17
It's most likely a question of comfort, not survival, in that terrain and season. It's pretty much your call. Rain pants will definitely keep you warmer. You'll be damp instead of wet and that makes a difference on cold mornings, for sure. I would not bring the rain pants based on my own experience and hiking style, but I would definitely respect those who carry the extra weight.

bigcranky
05-18-2012, 09:26
I'm hiking the same area at the same time. No rain pants, though I may bring a rain skirt. The only pants I will bring are homemade ripstop nylon wind pants that weigh about 2.5 ounces, which I'll wear in camp if it's chilly and in the laundromat. Will wait until the last minute to decide things like warm layers, etc.

I do want to try a rain skirt. I only ever hike in shorts, and in heavy rain they can get very wet -- a rain skirt will prevent that, but still allow some ventilation. I have enough silnylon in the house to make one.

BTW you can always expect rain in the afternoon even this early in the summer. You'll see thunderheads building all day -- sometimes you'll get rain, sometimes the hiker on the next ridgeline will get it.

rocketsocks
05-18-2012, 09:28
I like rain pants.It's one thing to be a little wet from sweat,it's and entirely different thing to be hiking all day in the rain,with a late spring trough bearing down and a MPH winds laughing at you.You can always adjust your speed so as not to sweat.jm2c

rocketsocks
05-18-2012, 09:30
Oops,thats late winter trough
and thats 30 mph

Sarcasm the elf
05-18-2012, 09:34
It's most likely a question of comfort, not survival, in that terrain and season. It's pretty much your call. Rain pants will definitely keep you warmer. You'll be damp instead of wet and that makes a difference on cold mornings, for sure. I would not bring the rain pants based on my own experience and hiking style, but I would definitely respect those who carry the extra weight.+1. I bought a nice pair of goretex style rain pants for my first section hike four years ago. That first hike was the only time I used them. They're a nice luxury if you enjoy having them, but I personally find them unnecessary. From my experience wearing a goretex style shell jacket is enough to keep you warm when you are hiking in above freezing conditions, just as long as you keep moving. If the temps are below freezing add long underwear or switch to winter shell pants, depending on conditions.

One last thing, if you are expecting temps in the 40's and raining, make sure you have enough warm cloths for when you are stopped since cold and wet are ideal hypothermia conditions. Any time you are not moving you will get cold fast. Have an extra fleece or synthetic insulating layer handy and put it on whenever you stop for a break.

Kerosene
05-18-2012, 10:28
If you've ever been caught in a T-storm with heavy rain falling from 60,000 feet hitting your bare quads then you will definitely want something on your legs. Conversion pants might be the answer, but I'd probably go with a pair of DWR windpants (< 3 oz) that would be more comfortable to walk in and provide you with a lot of different options. If you go with rain pants, then you will want to slow your pace and even find ways to "vent" the build-up of warm air (with my e-Vent pants I open the various zippers to provide a bellows effect, which works well if it's not pouring). In most cases you won't really need dedicated rain pants, but I would be prepared to wear something and then be prepared to change into dry, warm clothes soon after you stop for more than a short break. I'd definitely go with a 20- or 30-degree bag at that time of year also.

Smokey & the Bandit
05-18-2012, 10:34
I was thinking of Nikwax for my conversions. Any thoughts?

Moose2001
05-18-2012, 10:52
IMHO, the other thing to think about is what your body temp and regulation is. For me, I hike cold and chill easily. Not enough body fat I guess. In my case, rain pants are a great thing to have. I've been shivering in a cold driving rain while wearing my rain jacket. As soon as I donned the pants, all was good. YMMV.

wookinpanub
05-18-2012, 11:05
I started my thru with rain pants, but then found that shorts and gaiters were my favorite when it wasn't freezing. Rain pants were used for campsite warmth, though. Gaiters over my calf in the morning when the grass was heavy with dampness kept water from running inside my boot from the top. I also used them in rain with good success. My philosphy with rain, though, is "Don't stop moving!"