PDA

View Full Version : Homemade alternative to Polar Pure

LeeAllure
05-18-2012, 09:37
When I went looking for ways to purify water on the trail, I was immediately drawn to the Polar Pure solution. I didn't want to have to carry a filter, a steripen which might break or to restock tablets or drops every week or so. When I finally went to purchase it, however, all the places I could find locally or online were out.

After some thought and research, I decided that I could probably make it myself, although there were some hoops to jump through, including providing a lot of information about who I was and why I wanted it to the iodine purveyor.

I finally found the time last night to put it all together, and woke this morning to my first batch of crystals, which I thought I'd share. From the looks of it, I'll have enough to provide me with potable water for a very long time.

I'm planning on putting the right amount of crystals (between 4-8g, approx. 1tsp) into a silk tea-bag like holder in an amber 2oz bottle, and following the polar pure instructions for treating trail water.

Seeing the blue/grey crystals on top of the plastic wrap this morning, glinting in the sun, was kind of thrilling, knowing the experiment worked.

I still think it's silly for me (or others like me) to go around making this in small batches, when it's easier and faster to have a company like polar pure do it so well, but I'm glad it was doable.

WIAPilot
05-18-2012, 10:59
Pretty cool. You must have grown up watching MacGyver. :)

Spokes
05-18-2012, 12:01
Isn't this how Snake Oil Salesmen got started?

rocketsocks
05-18-2012, 12:09
Ah,a little crystal blue persuasion eh

Odd Man Out
05-18-2012, 14:08
Just be aware of the hazzards. I2 is potentially nasty stuff.

From the CDC (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/water-treatment.htm). The last one about not using for continuous use for more than a few weeks at a time would be troublesome for a thru hiker.
Warnings

Crystalline iodine 4-8 grams used in a stock solution constitutes a human lethal dose if accidentally swallowed in a single dose. Keep out of the reach of children.
Water that has been disinfected with iodine is NOT recommended for pregnant women, people with thyroid problems, those with known hypersensitivity to iodine, or continuous use for more than a few weeks at a time.

Spokes
05-18-2012, 15:27
Just be aware of the hazzards. I2 is potentially nasty stuff.

I agree. Why waste your time on it? Much better spending your time building alchy stoves or trying to get your pack weight down.

Capt Nat
05-18-2012, 20:01
Sorry Mr. Rocketsocks, most are too young to have gotten that!

LeeAllure
05-24-2012, 01:15
I grew up without a television, but have watched a MacGyver episode or two.

Don't worry - I'm only going to add the saturated water to my lightly filtered drinking water.
The crystals themselves will remain in the bottle, in their own nice and neat special silk bag.
I don't mind the taste of iodine in the water, and have vit. c to add, in case I get sick of it.

I'll leave crystal blue persuasion to others, but I do like the song..

Velvet Gooch
05-24-2012, 06:09
Extracted from drugstore tincture of iodine (not PVP-I)? The procedure is fairly straightforward. Getting the tincture of iodine is the real challenge, now.