PDA

View Full Version : Rat Sack - Necessary or Too Heavy?

GolfHiker
05-18-2012, 10:04
I'm interested in opinions on the need for using a Rat Sack on my AT section hike. I've had one for a while, but almost never use it, opting for my old steady Sea to Summit food bag, which is obviously much lighter. So, is there a need for the RS on the AT ( bear poles at shelters)? Is it just too much weight for the value? If you do use one, do you just put everything in the sack, or do you feel the need to bag/seal items, then put in, which adds to the weight?

I'll probably decide to pass on the RS, but knowing the level of creature activity on the AT, it sometimes seems like a good idea.

Thanks for your thougths....

Kerosene
05-18-2012, 10:20
I used to bring a 5 oz. Ursack on my section hikes, but I've since moved to a Cuben food sack from zPacks (http://www.zpacks.com/large_image.shtml?accessories/stuffsacks/cuben_blast_l.jpg) (0.85 oz) that still provides a bit of gnaw-resistance. I haven't had a problem since I dropped the Ursack about 6 years ago, but you'll still want to hang from a bear pole, tree, or something else reasonably critter-proof.

Large "Blast" Food Bag:
This food bag is made from the same heavy duty 1.43 oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber as the Blast (http://www.whiteblaze.net/backpacks/blast.shtml) backpacks. It can easily stand up to the abuse of bear bagging heavy loads or pointy food items. Just hang it by its spectra draw cord with a ZPacks Mini D-ring carabiner (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/carabiner.shtml). Fits a 5-7 day supply of bulky food.

The material is even rodent resistant-
"On several occasions I've seen mice check out my Blast food bag and eventually give up. I let one persistent mouse chew on it for the entire night- by morning he had done some minor damage but did not get into my food."

Available in two shapes:
Rectangle - 11" wide by 5.5" deep by 12" tall (28 cm x 14 cm x 30.5 cm). Fits small packs well.
Cylinder - 8" diameter by 15" tall (20 cm x 38 cm). Fits larger packs.

Either shape is about 750 cubic inches / 12.3 Liters and the same weight.

Large Food Bag - 1.43 oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber
weight: .85 oz. / 24 grams
price: $21.95

RedBeerd
05-18-2012, 11:11
How about the ursack minor? Rodent proof. I believe with an OPsak it comes to 3.7oz. mine just came in. I plan on just tying it to a rock near my tent.

daddytwosticks
05-18-2012, 16:23
I used a Rat Sack a few years ago before switching to an Ursack Minor. Both do the job, but the Ursack is lighter. The velcro on the Rat Sack would wake the shelter-sleepers up when I opened the Sack first thing in the morning. :)

GolfHiker
05-18-2012, 19:03
daddy... spot on. That is some strong velcro. I do understand the cuben fiber options, and appreciate the Ursack Minor references, but my main question is about the need to even carry such a food bag. Furthermore, I doubt if I would spend the money to switch to something else at this time.. So, if this were a vote, would we vote to use ursack/ratsack or go traditional. Thanks.

daddytwosticks
05-20-2012, 16:35
I'd use the Ursack Minor and not have to worry about rodents getting at my food. I think most would suggest just using a traditional waterproof hung food bag. :)