PDA

View Full Version : Sil/nylon tarp with bug mesh

mattydt20
04-08-2005, 16:29
I recently purchased a sil/nylon tarp which has bug mesh stitched to the sides so it reaches the ground all the way around. The front end includes a zipper that allows you to enter through the bug mesh and then close it behind you. It will be good for two people and only weighs 22 ounces. I personally couldn't imagine sleeping under a tarp because I hate the whizzing of bugs next to my head when I'm trying to sleep. This summer I cycled across the country with a friend who thru-hiked the A.T. and he used the same thing to sleep in. I was so impressed with it that I bought one for my own thru hike.

If anyone is interested in looking into this option for their hiking or camping experience, write to Ben at [email protected]. He doesn't know that I'm posting this thread, but I'm sure he'd love the business.

nbrenn3
04-08-2005, 22:22
Thanks for the email address. I've been looking for something like that for a while, but was unsure about making it myself. I'll get in touch with him.

hikerjohnd
04-08-2005, 23:38
Any pics of the pitched product?

mattydt20
04-09-2005, 08:04
I'm not at home right now, but when I get home I'll see what I can do.

Sly
04-09-2005, 09:29
If it has no floor why the need for a zipper? Something else to break. Seems to me at though you could just raise the netting to enter or exit. Something (velcro?) to hold it up when not needed would also work.

mattydt20
04-10-2005, 13:08
From the inside of the tarp you can place some of your items along the excess bug mesh in order to hold it to the ground, that way no bugs will fly under any gaps between it and the ground. The zipper allows you to secure the bug mesh to the ground in the front and still get inside.

mattydt20
04-13-2005, 20:22
Here's a picture of the sil/nylon tarp with bug mesh. You can see the zipper in the front and how the bug mesh hangs off of the sides.

nisa
04-14-2005, 01:07
how much do these go for?

mattydt20
04-25-2005, 20:39
I believe I paid 150 for mine. However, mine was made for two people. You may want to directly contact Ben for more information. They can make different models and can customize the sizing. It won't hurt to ask him any questions you have.