PDA

View Full Version : Can hiking poles get thru airport security as carry-on?

mountainman
05-18-2012, 18:40
I'm trying to avoid $25 checked luggage fee. My pack is small enough to carry-on.
I have read on here, they are considered walking aids . Maybe I could unscrew the tips.
I'm section hiking the A.T. a week at a time so I'm doing a lot of flighting.

Has anyone carried poles onboard airline?

Firefighter503
05-19-2012, 04:36
I have heard here and elsewhere that it has not been a problem, as long as they were inside your pack. I will be traveling internationally in about 2 weeks, and plan on carrying just my Ohm 2.0, with trekking poles inside. I am really hoping I don't catch any flack about them, as I won't have another bag with me to check, and dont want to check the Ohm 2.0 (per Chris, the suspension hoops have broken before with TSA handling).

VT-Mike
05-19-2012, 08:02
Flying out of Salt Lake City, Aug '11 TSA said I had to check mine. Check out the TSA website they constantly change things.

WIAPilot
05-19-2012, 08:47
I just checked the TSA site on prohibited items under: Sharp Items, Sporting Goods and Camping Equipment. The hiking poles are not listed as being prohibited at this time.

Spokes
05-19-2012, 08:59
Asked and answered many times in this forum. Hit the first link in the thread below and read the TSA Prohibited Items List.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73943-hiking-poles-on-airplane

If you decide to risk it anyway and take your poles don't get mad when they confiscate them.

The problem is "Ski Poles" are prohibited and if the screener or screening supervisor decides to "interpret" your poles as falling into that category-you lose.

Deco
06-02-2012, 22:42
My wife just went through airport security at DFW with hiking poles and had no trouble

Spokes
06-03-2012, 07:38
My wife just went through airport security at DFW with hiking poles and had no trouble

Yep, and some folks win in Vegas. Bottom line is its a crap shoot since getting hiking poles through a TSA checkpoint boils down to human interpretation of the "Prohibited Items" rule.

Personally I don't think it's worth risking getting a pair of $100 poles confiscated either before or after a hike. Your wife was one of the lucky ones. ;)

Monkeywrench
06-03-2012, 08:23
Yep, and some folks win in Vegas. Bottom line is its a crap shoot since getting hiking poles through a TSA checkpoint boils down to human interpretation of the "Prohibited Items" rule.

Personally I don't think it's worth risking getting a pair of $100 poles confiscated either before or after a hike. Your wife was one of the lucky ones. ;)

Exactly. I once had a pair of tweezers confiscated at security. I've tried many times to imagine how I would take control of an airliner using tweezers, but can't see it.

Of course, they then handed out metal knives to all the passengers when they served dinner. Makes perfect sense to me!

Deco
06-03-2012, 11:10
I guess life is a crap shoot but the wife has flown with poles on several occasions, not just the one mentioned above and has never had a problem.

SassyWindsor
06-04-2012, 01:19
The F...... TSA has got to be the biggest JOKE and nuisance to travel in the history of mankind. I believe TSA agents make up the rules as they go along. An item might pass when departing only to have the same item confiscated on the return. I feel like I get violated by some, not so straight, female agent almost every time I go through a check. It's ridiculous.

jesse
06-04-2012, 01:46
Check them. TSA will not buy the "walking aid" story.

slowfeet
06-04-2012, 02:06
if the TSA stops you from bringing them onboard, just remember it's for the security of our nation.
There are fees associated with freedom and our security, in this case it'll be $25.

you can probably show up early and check them in if you get denied at the checkpoint. (I think).

icequeen
06-04-2012, 14:06
I wouldn't attempt it, but I have the worst luck with TSA...they have confiscated my mascara and lip balmbefore!

STICK
06-04-2012, 17:58
I agree with SassyWindsor, just because you make it on the first flight it may not make it on the next flight if you are changing flights, or on the return flight. I would ship it all together to your destination point, but give it enough time to make sure it got there. of course this is hard to do, but if you are getting a ride/shuttle or know someone in that area, then you may can mail it to them and be able to keep in touch to verify the package arrived. Me, I love USPS priority mail...It is fast and I always get tracking so I can keep up with it's progress on my own...

Deco
06-04-2012, 20:01
I don't buy the "security of our nation" argument. If that were the case knitting needles would not be aloud on planes and I would argue they are more dangerous than hiking poles. Just a thought.

Llama Legs
06-04-2012, 20:10
I had a nice locking carabiner confiscated - "parachute component"

aaronthebugbuffet
06-04-2012, 21:01
Something like that is totally up to the discretion of the TSA on site. You will be taking a chance if you try.

rocketsocks
06-04-2012, 23:52
On a trip the Georgia back in 91' I carried on a rock hammer(Goeologists pick)and a metal gold pan,of coarse this was before 9/11.I agree,you could take a chance,but that's all it is,a chance.

Snowleopard
06-05-2012, 16:56
I've had to check a single rubber tipped collapsible hiking pole at the gate (in Amsterdam, not USA).
Be prepared to check it or send it ahead by UPS.

Chicken Feathers
06-08-2012, 20:21
They are consider a weapon by T S A in Atlanta Airport. I would not even try. Take Snowleopard (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?21697-Snowleopard) advice and check them