PDA

View Full Version : How do you pack your tent?

Pumba
05-18-2012, 23:26
I'm curious how the majority of you pack your tent. Do you use the stuff sack it came in, or something else? I have a Kelty Salida 2 and was thinking of getting a small compression sack. It seems the sack that came with it is awfully roomy.

bigcranky
05-18-2012, 23:30
For our two-person tent, a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo, I purchased a small roll-top silnylon stuff sack. It easily holds the tent and fits sideways in the top of my pack, plus it's a waterproof dry-bag style sack and thus keeps any water from a wet tent inside the bag instead of all over the inside of my pack. So yeah, that can work.

Live_for_hiking
05-19-2012, 00:07
I use the stuff sack when it's dry. If the tent is wet, I store it in my packs outside mesh pocket. Most of the time it is in the stuff sack. I find it easier to pack that way. To each their own though .... The stuff sack for my tent is silnylon as well.

Rasty
05-19-2012, 00:09
I'm curious how the majority of you pack your tent. Do you use the stuff sack it came in, or something else? I have a Kelty Salida 2 and was thinking of getting a small compression sack. It seems the sack that came with it is awfully roomy.

The stuff sacks for tents are big up until your packing it up in the rain.

Half Note
05-19-2012, 00:13
I could never roll it up like when it was first out of the package. So I just put it in a different stuff sack and cram it in. It's wrinkley as all get out but it does the trick and packs up nicely. I use the sack it came in for all my clothes. Works out great for me.

rocketsocks
05-19-2012, 00:22
I too am a cram wrinkle tinkle swish

rocketsocks
05-19-2012, 00:35
I too am a cram wrinkle tinkle swishand ifin that don't get it...i give thee ole' Chief Jay Strong Bow "Pile Driver",or come down with a Ivan Putsky"The Polish Hammer"....but only in extreme circumstances.

Sarcasm the elf
05-19-2012, 00:42
I never use a stuff sack for my tent. At the start of a trip it usually gets folded like a tarp or rolled up, depending what works better for my pack. Usually after a couple of days it gets wet from morning dew or rain and the tent body and fly get shoved in my backpack's outside compartment so that it can dry a little bit and doesn't get the rest of the stuff in my pack wet.

rusty bumper
05-19-2012, 08:44
I roll up my Tarptent Moment, put it in its stuff sack along with the pole and pegs, and slide it into the longish, narrow, outside mesh pocket on the side of my Mariposa Plus pack. The tent fits in the stuff sack just fine whether wet or dry.

Spokes
05-19-2012, 08:52
I get a bigger size ultrasil nylon sack than the original tent sack and just stuff it loosely. That way it molds into whatever space I use in the pack.

Compression sacks are "old school" and better left to the car camper crowd. They rob you of valuable pack space.

garlic08
05-19-2012, 09:54
I don't use a stuff sack for the tent, wet or dry. It just seems quicker and easier that way, and saves a few ounces too. The tent is silnylon and dries in minutes if there's a break in the weather.

stranger
05-20-2012, 08:14
Stuff it in a oversize roll down stuff-sack to contain water...dry it out at first opportunity.

Don H
05-20-2012, 09:05
Stuff it.
If it's wet it stays outside the pack in the large mesh pocket, I place the bag with the opening down so water can drain out.

Velvet Gooch
05-20-2012, 09:48
Wipe it down, then grab a corner and start stuffing. Never fold

Not Sunshine
05-20-2012, 10:08
I use the pouch/bag provided by Kelty for mine - and I always store the tent on the outside of my pack (so I never have a wet tent inside my dry bag. The rest of my things get packed into a black garbage bag kept inside my pack (that's my rain gear). That way, I can pack up everything inside my tent in the rain - then break down the tent and roll it up and attach it to the outside of the pack and i'm off.

system works for me.

Furlough
05-20-2012, 10:28
I use the stuff sack. I do just that stuff in the tent. If wet it is the last to go into my pack, placed on top and outside of the trusty old garbage bag I use to keep things dry.

slovakiasteph
05-20-2012, 14:02
I stuff... tents are too slippery to fold AND get it back in the bag!

Rasty
05-20-2012, 14:25
The original question was about getting a smaller stuff/compression sack. My Tarptent Double Rainbow will fit into a smaller sack then what it came with, but it would not be fun trying to pack it back up every day. When its been raining all morning and the nylon is slippery it would be a chore getting it into the smaller bag.

Pumba
05-20-2012, 14:57
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to try a few different methods on my trip later this week.