PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile wilderness resupply help

attroll
04-08-2005, 19:04
I have some good news. Someone I know that lives near the 100 mile wilderness here in Maine</ST1:p has volunteered to do resupplies in the 100 mile wilderness at Jo-Mary road at the bridge over Copper brook. For more information and details you can contact this person by email at: [email protected]. You can address the email to Svivor.

Peaks
04-09-2005, 08:04
Resupply at Jo-Mary road or Whitehouse Landing may be nice, but for decades, all hikers made it through the 100 miles without resupply. It's "only" 100 miles, or 7 days for most of us.

attroll
04-09-2005, 20:10
for decades, all hikers made it through the 100 miles without resupply. It's "only" 100 miles, or 7 days for most of us.
wbdent Not all thru-hikers have gone through without a resupply. There have been people doing resupplies in the 100 mile wilderness for a long time for thru-hikers. Maybe you have just never caught wind of it. I know thru-hikers who have had stuff waiting for them at Jo-Mary road.

wbdent This person just thought they would offer to help. If any thru-hiker don't want the help then they need to take it. The option is not there though. But I know a few that have resupplied at Jo-Mary.

Grampie
04-10-2005, 10:23
During my 2001 thru I sent a mail drop to White House Landing. In 2001 they didn't charge you if you stayed the night. It worked out well for me because I was hiking SOBO at the time. :sun

weary
04-10-2005, 11:44
**** Not all thru-hikers have gone through without a resupply. There have been people doing resupplies in the 100 mile wilderness for a long time for thru-hikers. Maybe you have just never caught wind of it. I know thru-hikers who have had stuff waiting for them at Jo-Mary road.
In 1991 when I walked Maine with a 9-year-old grandson, I had a brother meet our group at the Jo-Mary Road with some fresh steaks. It was a lucky decision. Just before reaching the road, a sister who was along for part of the walk, slipped on a bog bridge and broke her wrist.

My brother drove my sister to the hospital. Jon and I took the steaks and kept going north. We all met again at Katahdin Stream amidst 3 inches of rain, that delayed our ascent of Katahdin several weeks, long enough for the wrist to almost heal. It was interesting, however, to push a one armed person over the rocks of the Hunt Trail in early October, but we made it up -- and down.

Weary

Carsten010
04-10-2005, 12:54
I resupplied at Whitehouse Landing in 2004. I really enjoyed my stay
there but would have loved to have a simple resupply at Jo-Mary-road
instead as I spent much too much money at WL.

How can you stop at WL without having there giant burger and some
beers?

CU

Sauerkraut

spanky
04-27-2005, 10:56
As WIN and I were SOBO'ing in 2002; we had the unique pleasure of being "resupplied" in the midst of the 100 mile wilderness by 14 French-Canadian women...

Pecan Pie and fresh 12" subs were just the ticket...

No complaints on this end! If someone wants to help out... I am man enough of a hiker to take the help!

Spanky
2002 SOBO

Sassafras Lass
05-10-2012, 22:58
It should be noted that the general store (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?83524-Monson-General-Store-closed) in Monson has closed as of this season.

Hikers can head north up State Road 15 to Greenville for a larger resupply selection or visit the hostels in Monson for food if you don't feel like hitchin'.

Tinker
05-11-2012, 00:13
Resupply at Jo-Mary road or Whitehouse Landing may be nice, but for decades, all hikers made it through the 100 miles without resupply. It's "only" 100 miles, or 7 days for most of us.

18# of food is no big deal, really, if the basic pack weight w/o food is below 20# (1 liter of water included).
Think of it as a challenge (not to eat too much too soon to drop pack weight :D).

Don H
05-17-2012, 06:57
Is Whitehouse Landing still open? There was talk that they would close after last year.

Meg Wilson Author
05-17-2012, 08:40
[QUOTE=Sassafras Lass;1287298]It should be noted that the general store (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?83524-Monson-General-Store-closed) in Monson has closed as of this season.

I'm crushed over closing of General Store - just down the road from the camp I share with hubby. But I want to help you folks needing a lift to Greenville or wherever. For thru-hiking women out there: we also have laundry facilities, plenty of good grub, and a place to sleep if hostels are full or if you're strapped for cash. ***I don't want to take business from Lakeshore or Shaws or Spring Creek BBQ - Monson needs these viable businesses more than ever!***

Why women? And what's in it for me? I'm hoping I will hear intriguing, true accounts for my next book project, "Wander Women." Women thru-hikers (with or without mates) who have a unique situation, perspective, mission, reason to take on the AT: Please contact [email protected] or reply here. Will be in Monson May 18 thru 20, and again after June 3rd. Have all summer and fall, and hoping to make good headway on this project. Look for my trail magic all summer long, like homemade granola and giant chocolate-chip cookies to share with your trail mates. Happy hiking!

Learn more about me at www.megwilsonauthor.com (http://www.megwilsonauthor.com/), and thank you in advance for allowing me to hear your stories.

Meg (207)939-5058

cafayzieg
04-23-2013, 05:32
Do you have any specific routes?

Kobayashi_Maru
04-23-2013, 06:44
i just tried that email address and it got kicked back? [email protected] does not exist.

iPhone5 cases: i have used the Otter Boxes with good results but have switches to the Life Case because it is suppose to be "water proof", less than 1 meter deep

Coosa
04-23-2013, 07:05
100 Mile Wilderness Adventures and Outfitters (http://100milewilderness.info/) and at one time SHAW'S, IIRC, would provide a resupply drop at Jo-Mary Road, too. Don't know for sure if Shaw's is still doing this. IIRC, they charged $25 per drop.

I want to send a huge 'SHOUT OUT' to the Down Easters in Monson and all of Maine for their dedication to Hikers.

Coosa

RED-DOG
04-23-2013, 18:16
Last year on my 2012 thru i had to get resupplied at a camp store within the 100 mile wilderness very exspensive, this is great news for all the 2013 end to ender's.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-23-2013, 23:11
WH landing was where I resupplied enjoyed the burgers and the breakfast

AT Trail Magic
05-18-2013, 11:24
Most of this section is actually completed by residential camps and just-for-fun hikers here in Maine. It is not exclusive for thruhikers. A resupplier is a great asset for safety as well as food. Thands AT Troll for the post.

AT Trail Magic
05-18-2013, 11:25
The problem I hear often about the burger joint is TOO EXPENSIVE. Another resource is great!

AT Trail Magic
05-18-2013, 11:25
And Coosa....you're welcome! Glad to be appreciated.

Yankee15
08-27-2015, 18:40
If you don't bring ten days of supplies, you will die :D

DownEaster
03-18-2017, 23:25
If you don't bring ten days of supplies, you will die :D
The actual (not :D) situation for me was that I thought I had a generous 8 days of supply (20 lbs. of food). It took 7 days of strenuous hiking. Two hurricanes blew through that week, with zillions of blow-downs to scramble over/around, and beaver dams plus rain made for knee-deep slogging in the flats. I had nothing but dregs in a tube of peanut butter and a little black pepper by the morning of the last day, and that was a hungry day of hiking. With all the weather-related extra exertion required I consumed 7,500-8,000 calories each day, and still lost noticeable weight.

Respect Maine weather, folks, and carry some extra food just in case.

TTT
03-19-2017, 10:31
What if you carried a lighter food load and made it there after 6 days?

TTT
03-19-2017, 10:32
What if you carried 50 pounds of food and made it there after 2 weeks :)

egilbe
03-19-2017, 11:41
What if you carried 50 pounds of food and made it there after 2 weeks :)

20 pounds of food will last two weeks. :D

KDogg
03-19-2017, 16:05
Most of the thru hikers that I was around were carrying five or six days of food. My friends and I made it out the morning of the sixth day.

DownEaster
03-23-2017, 05:30
20 pounds of food will last two weeks. :D
Not the food I was carrying then; it only lasted 6 days. I figured afterward that I was burning 7,500-8,000 calories each day. I needed to be carrying more fat, but high-fat foods that I could tolerate weren't as readily available back in the stone ages (1979). I had 1% powdered milk (Milkman brand) rather than the whole powdered milk (Nestle Nido Fortificada) available today. I had one pound of cheese and one stick of butter in a Campmor squeeze tube. Almond and cashew butters weren't available. I did carry some peanut butter in another squeeze tube, even though I detest it (exhausted my tolerance as a kid). Fatty noodles like Ramen weren't readily available in New England then. I had a lot of carbs, but they only supply about 44% as many calories per ounce as fats.

Nutrition labeling only started in the U.S. in 1994. Before that it was a lot of work to try to determine calorie information. I completely missed out on carrying some Fritos as a tasty and filling snack.

rafe
03-23-2017, 09:08
Resupply along the HMW is plentiful these days but real hikers do without. ;)

Seven days or less isn't difficult. Yeah, the food load will be twice what most AT thru and section hikers are used to. No biggie.

IIRC, White House Landing is back in business. The logging roads are well traveled and you see day hikers on some stretches. There are proper trail heads with parking lots full of cars. Maybe we should just call it the HM.