PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Illness on the Trail

WIAPilot
05-19-2012, 09:32
I think we are all aware of the fact that we need to:

1. Treat our water

2. Not eat out of the community Gorp bag

3. And pass around the "cigarettes" at your own risk

Is there something better than hand sanitizer like Purell for the trail?

Any other suggestions to prevent illness?

rhjanes
05-19-2012, 09:45
Don't contaminate your OWN food either. That means, POUR out the food, don't reach into it, which lets the food up against your skin.

fiddlehead
05-19-2012, 10:08
The important thing to me is to keep my immune system up.
That means being in shape.
I can only remember one or two days being sick in 6 thru-hikes.

I never worried about cigarettes, gorp, treating water, or even sharing water bottles.
But then, I live in Asia.
If you worried about germs here, you wouldn't last long.

garlic08
05-19-2012, 10:18
Eat, hydrate, and rest well.

Tick searches.

Take care of small skin issues before the become big skin issues.

Listen to your body.

oldbear
05-19-2012, 11:23
I'm considering tossing a couple of pairs of quality food service latex gloves in my mail drops

MuddyWaters
05-19-2012, 11:29
Soap is more effective than hand sanitizer

Wash your hands after crapping, and stay away from other people and you have nothing to worry about.

Hooch
05-19-2012, 11:57
Is there something better than hand sanitizer like Purell for the trail? Yes, there used to be this magical thing called "soap and water" that people would use. It's still around and it still works. I like the Sea to Summit soap leaves for this.

rocketsocks
05-19-2012, 17:52
One of the best ways I've found to eat GORP is to despence it from a wide mouth plastic bottle,just like you were drinking,nice and easy,no dirty hands envolved.

WIAPilot
05-19-2012, 18:05
One of the best ways I've found to eat GORP is to despence it from a wide mouth plastic bottle,just like you were drinking,nice and easy,no dirty hands envolved.

Great idea.

rocketsocks
05-19-2012, 18:17
Great idea.I thought so,though it's not original,and can't remeber to whom gets that credit,at any rate no need to ever pinch your gorp and place between your cheeck and jum like Walt garrison who don't smoke.

kayak karl
05-19-2012, 18:20
people are sanitation conscious on the trail. like privy area, shelter floors, others gear and food. keeping cooking gear clean and treads on water containers,
but some people drop the ball when at hostels. it is not the same as your house and germs can be spread easy. follow all the same precautions.

Rasty
05-19-2012, 18:59
The rubbing / agitation of your hand with the soap and rinsing are very important steps also.

Is there something better than hand sanitizer like Purell for the trail? Yes, there used to be this magical thing called "soap and water" that people would use. It's still around and it still works. I like the Sea to Summit soap leaves for this.

Another Kevin
05-19-2012, 19:21
Soap and water. Definitely. Scrub long enough to sing the alphabet before you start rinsing.

And when you do use hand sanitizer - follow the directions. Spread it out and then wait for it to dry, don't keep rubbing it in. It takes longer that way, but it's tremendously more effective.

And hand sanitation is mostly about keeping other people healthy - your hands are carrying your own germs, and you're already infected with those. The most likely place for you to pick up a bug is some other hiker's hands. (Wash after you read the shelter log!)

rocketsocks
05-19-2012, 19:31
The rubbing / agitation of your hand with the soap and rinsing are very important steps also.After a surgery,and while getting wound care instruction,the doctor emphasized:wash your hands before bandaging,and not just rinsing with water,"You gotta get in there with some hot soapy water and move things around".Something we all learned by first grade,but over the years have forgot do to our egos,or just plain don't cares.

Cherokee Bill
05-20-2012, 07:19
1. Wash hands often, especially after the crapper
2. Do not eat shared food
3. DO NOT shake hands with others (sanitation seems to fade away, after a few weeks on the trail)
4. Avoid touching mouth, eyes, nose with your un-washed hands
5. Use a multi-vitamine
6. Avoid shelters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7. Wash your clothing as often as possible
8. Check for ticks multiple times a day

Moose2001
05-20-2012, 10:18
Hostels can sometimes be major germ factories! It's not uncommon to find sick hikers in a hostel, off the trail and trying to get well. That's cool, everyone needs a place to get well. However, it's a good way to catch whatever they have!

Velvet Gooch
05-20-2012, 11:08
4. Avoid touching mouth, eyes, nose with your un-washed hands

Also, keep your unwashed fingers out of your ears.

Keep your nails short. Hand sanitizer is not an alternative to proper hand washing; carry soap leaves. Filth is not a badge