PDA

View Full Version : Quick Tip- Better Ways to Search

Spokes
05-19-2012, 11:37
I'm amazed more people don't use (or don't know how to use) Google when researching stuff about hiking. It's evident by the amount of redundant topics that surface in the forums here i.e., hiking poles on a plane, safety on the trail, how long does cheese stays fresh?, yada, yada, yada,....

One tip I've found useful when using Google is to add "whiteblaze" to the end of your search term. More often than not you'll get a list of past forum threads associated with it.

Try it yourself and see. For example, type:

Freezer bag cooking whiteblaze

Hiking poles on plane whiteblaze

AquaMira whiteblaze

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Velvet Gooch
05-19-2012, 12:17
Use the site: modifier. Google will restrict the search to only the websites that are in the specified domain.

"YOURQUERY site:whiteblaze.net"

malowitz
05-19-2012, 12:51
2nd What Gooch shared. Works great -- in the google search window to search MSR tents, for example, type:

site:whiteblaze.net MSR tents

You'll get some ads, but then search results in the standard google format.

rocketsocks
05-19-2012, 13:10
Guilty......thanks for posting!

Spokes
05-20-2012, 11:17
Good stuff y'all.

slovakiasteph
05-20-2012, 14:01
I typically always use the advanced search and search only the titles... otherwise, the search feature here really doesn't help much.

Bronk
05-20-2012, 20:35
Thank you! This is infinitely more useful than those who admonish people for not using the search feature on the forum that is basically useless.

Wise Old Owl
05-20-2012, 22:16
So Spokes, not all are up to your speed.... they were lucky to find wb. Sort of asking you and I how to find two girls and a cup video...:rolleyes:. think about it....Do you really want to? :D Or just use a advanced search here?

It's the internet... hmmm.:-? It's not personal.