PDA

View Full Version : Ways to setup a Hex tarp

Shrkbit143
05-19-2012, 19:46
I'm thinking of taking my hex tarp for my SOBO this June and leave the tent at home. What diffrent ways is there to set one up? And what do you do about the black flies in the north at night?

Wise Old Owl
05-19-2012, 21:12
Here's the rub, most "hex" tarps do not have all the tye outs. so I have to guess you are talking about Noah... or something else.

what is the brand ?

grayfox
05-20-2012, 08:50
Set up options are infinite. As you use it just let your creativity be your guide. You will want to add tie out loops at every corner, and at least one in the middle of the edges-more if the tarp is large, and at least one patch in the center to keep a pole from tearing the fabric. On the top, outside of the shelter, you will want to add loops in the middle of each triangular pie of the tarp as well as one in the center to suspend the tarp and guy out the sides of your shelter. Grossgrain ribbon is adequate in strength for these ties and can be backed by a piece of nylon fabric or the ribbon itself to spread out the tension and keep the tarp from tearing. Seam seal the ties on the underside of the tarp. Carry enough stakes and short line to take care of all the base tie out points and any extra guy line you may need. Once you have a few favorite set ups you only need enough line and stakes to do those, but carry a few extra when you expect wind or snow to be a factor.

Shrkbit143
05-20-2012, 12:03
Here's the rub, most "hex" tarps do not have all the tye outs. so I have to guess you are talking about Noah... or something else.

what is the brand ?

The Brand is JacksRbetter. I got it to go over my hammock. It has two on the sides and one on each end.

Rocket Jones
05-20-2012, 13:52
You could have extra tie-outs put on. Check YouTube for tarp setup videos, they're out there and can really help by showing simple procedures that need complicated explanations in words.