PDA

View Full Version : 20 Degree down & water proof sleeping bag vs M50 45 degree down quilt+bamboo liner

thevagabond79
05-20-2012, 02:08
Hi, I am very new to long distance hiking. But I have a question that has been bothering me for a while:confused::

Should I bring a water proof, 20* down sleeping bag (mountain hard wear) that weights 2.5 lb for the AT or should I bring a 45* down quilt that is made of M50 fabric (11.5 oz, hammock gear), plus adding a grand trunk bamboo liner (1 lb). Or perhaps other combinations or sleeping bags? I plan to use a hammock, but could stay in the huts too....

I am thinking about selling my 20* sleeping bag if it's not the best option, so that I can save money for the alternatives.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

leaftye
05-20-2012, 02:41
There's no way a 45°F quilt and liner is equivalent to a 20° bag. Don't believe the hype that liner sellers spout.

If you're going to get a quilt and use it on the ground, get a wider quilt. Hammock quilts are slightly narrower.

If you want it to be good for 20°F, then get a 20°F quilt.

For comfort in warmer weather, get a quilt with a footbox that can be fully opened and a baffle system that allows you to shift down around.

Quilts by EnLIGHTened Equipment meets all of those, and the RevelationX is the best priced down quilt that I was able to find when I last checked. That quilt also has karo baffles, which allows down from anywhere in the quilt to be moved anywhere else in the quilt.

jeffmeh
05-20-2012, 08:29
There's no way a 45°F quilt and liner is equivalent to a 20° bag. Don't believe the hype that liner sellers spout.

If you're going to get a quilt and use it on the ground, get a wider quilt. Hammock quilts are slightly narrower.

For comfort in warmer weather, get a quilt with a footbox that can be fully opened and a baffle system that allows you to shift down around.

Quilts by EnLIGHTened Equipment meets all of those, and the RevelationX is the best priced down quilt that I was able to find when I last checked. That quilt also has karo baffles, which allows down from anywhere in the quilt to be moved anywhere else in the quilt.

Eugene, any comments regarding the down staying where you want it, and ease of relocating it? It looks like a great product at a very good price.

Don H
05-20-2012, 08:58
Are you sleeping in a hammock or tent?
What seasons are you hiking in?
What are you using for insulation under you?

Your Sleep System consists of your bag or quilt, pad or hammock insulation and other insulation such as liners or clothing.
The system will vary depending on seasons or temperatures.

My system during late spring through early fall while tenting consists of:
Thermarest NeoAir sleeping pad
Mont Bell #3 ULSS sleeping bag
Cocoon silk liner

and depending on anticipated temps:
Long underwear
Down jacket

During colder weather I trade the MB #3 bag in for a Feathered Friends 20 degree bag.

thevagabond79
05-20-2012, 11:21
Are you sleeping in a hammock or tent?
What seasons are you hiking in?
What are you using for insulation under you?

Your Sleep System consists of your bag or quilt, pad or hammock insulation and other insulation such as liners or clothing.
The system will vary depending on seasons or temperatures.

My system during late spring through early fall while tenting consists of:
Thermarest NeoAir sleeping pad
Mont Bell #3 ULSS sleeping bag
Cocoon silk liner

and depending on anticipated temps:
Long underwear
Down jacket

During colder weather I trade the MB #3 bag in for a Feathered Friends 20 degree bag.

Don, I am sleeping in a hammock. I tend to hike in 4 season, the AT is my goal. My insulation is a Exped Downmat 7 XS, which is 3/4 length. I am also going to get a under quilt. My top quilt is a Hammock Gear 50* Burrow with M50 material on both sides, 900 fill power with 1 oz over fill. I also wear a Klymate air insulated vest. I also have a icebreaker 3/4 base layer on my legs, icebreaker 150 on my top. Please let me know what you think.

thevagabond79
05-20-2012, 11:29

Hi Eugene, thank you for the advice. any good advice for an under quilt?

Grits
05-20-2012, 18:53
I have a 20 deg hammock gear incubator with the M50 about 21 oz and a burrow M50 18 oz and they work great. If you wanted to save some weight go with the 20 deg phoenix with the M50 I am thinking about 15 oz. The burrow can be got with a snap or sewn footbox. Hammock gear folks stand behind their gear and if you dont like them easy to sell on hammockforums. The sleeping bag plus the mattress will weigh more. People who thru hiked last year found that having a pad when they went to ground was not a bad idea. You can find some pads in the 10 to 13 oz. range you needed. Good luck and have fun.