PDA

View Full Version : hair length

House of Payne
05-20-2012, 06:28
Just out of curiosity. I have short hair, a crew cut. I have never had longer hair since I was young. Does anyone else have the need to keep their hair short? And if so how did u manage it on the trail?

Bronk
05-20-2012, 07:28
Carry a battery operated beard trimmer. Its easier than shaving with a razor and you can shave your head with it too.

Hooch
05-20-2012, 07:44
Just go to a barber when you get to town. Problem solved.

garlic08
05-20-2012, 08:25
If you can't yogi the use of some trimmers somewhere, it's easy enough to get a $10 crewcut in most small towns. I do both. If you hike with a bounce box, you could put your own trimmers in there and retrieve them every couple of weeks. If that's the only reason you need a bounce box, it's probably not worth the postage and hassle. I get a lot of, "But you don't look like a thru hiker" near the end of a long hike, and that's kind of fun.

Live_for_hiking
05-20-2012, 09:09
I had a shaved head for years ... YEARS. When I came to the conclusion last year that my attempt would happen in 2013 ... I started to let it grow.

I intend on embracing the hippie side of myself!!!

Velvet Gooch
05-20-2012, 09:21

This. My beard may be Rip Van Winkle-esque, but I can't stand for the hair on my head to be longer than 3/16".

Odd Man Out
05-20-2012, 10:06

Any good old fashioned barbershops along the trail? I'm kind of nostalgic for those. I recall when I was a kid, we would visit the the small town where my dad grew up and get my hair cut at the barber shop/sporting goods store on main street. It had one chair for the one custormer, benches for all the people hanging out watching/talking, lots of dead animals and gun racks on the wall, good selection of fishing tackle for sale, live bait, etc... I think it's a guy thing.

plurpimpin
05-20-2012, 10:27
I usually cut my hair once or twice a year (I have a weird shaped head and look really dumb with really short hair) so I'm getting a haircut next week before I fly up to Maine and then I should be set until at least december.

House of Payne
05-20-2012, 10:57
This. My beard may be Rip Van Winkle-esque, but I can't stand for the hair on my head to be longer than 3/16".

I agree with Velvet, I would be ok with my beard growing longer (have a goatee now) but I'm weird about the top of my head, I don't like it too long at all. I know when I'm in town and I have some errands to do anyways I would probably pass a barber along the way. But I'm not going to go out of my way just to get to a barber if I have nothing else doing. Can't imagine bringing trimmer for my head just for the weight and space taken.

plurpimpin
05-20-2012, 13:28
I usually cut my hair once or twice a year (I have a weird shaped head and look really dumb with really short hair) so I'm getting a haircut next week before I fly up to Maine and then I should be set until at least december.

Forgot to mention I also don't plan on shaving on my whole thru so I should be rocking the hardcore mountain man look by the end of my hike

scree
05-20-2012, 13:49
I can't stand how beards and long hair feels, particularly when hygiene is already a factor, so I'm squarely in the electric trimmer camp. I always keep it buzzed no longer than a #3.

As an aside, I've always found it entertaining that some of the same people who'll cut a toothbrush in half to save half an ounce will let their hair and beards grow super long - Hair is very heavy, especially when wet.

Astro
05-20-2012, 14:59
I can't stand how beards and long hair feels, particularly when hygiene is already a factor, so I'm squarely in the electric trimmer camp. I always keep it buzzed no longer than a #3.

As an aside, I've always found it entertaining that some of the same people who'll cut a toothbrush in half to save half an ounce will let their hair and beards grow super long - Hair is very heavy, especially when wet.
The difference is that is on your head or face instead of on your back inside your pack. Yes extra weight, but not as direct as something you are carrying in your pack.

scree
05-20-2012, 15:09
The difference is that is on your head or face instead of on your back inside your pack. Yes extra weight, but not as direct as something you are carrying in your pack.

Yes, but if you weigh from skin out you gotta take your hair into consideration. I let mine go for a while one time and got very shaggy, back touching the shoulders and bangs that could cover my face - didn't notice the weight until I shaved my head and suddenly felt 5 pounds lighter. I think it's a matter of personal preference, I just don't like how long hair makes it harder to keep a hat on my head and how beards tend to stink of whatever you ate last week unless you can regularly bathe. Some people feel liberated by letting the hair and beard grow, I just feel all the added greasy hair.

rocketsocks
05-20-2012, 17:27
At one time I had very long hair(like many I'm sure),but have been cutting it myself for the last thirty years,occassionally get to a barber so's he can undue all the grow-in/cut-in mistakes.Crew cut,#2,tighter on the sides,and above the ear.....so comfortable and easy to find ticks.

Cherokee Bill
05-20-2012, 19:12
I'd say if hair length was the biggest problem U had during a Thru, U had it made :cool:

rocketsocks
05-20-2012, 20:02
One of my altime favorite movies,with a great sound track"Hair"the 5th demension

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1LRD3DtFA Skip the ad by clicking

rocketsocks
05-20-2012, 20:09
Oops try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L1RD3DtFAo

rocketsocks
05-20-2012, 20:12
Sorry folks but it is there google "I got life" sung by Treat williams,very funny/good.

oldbear
05-20-2012, 23:16
Good question
These days I keep the hair on my monk's male pattern baldness head really short by cutting it myself twice a month along w/my '40's Clark Gable -type mustache
But one of my primary motivating factors behind doing this hike thru the long green tunnel to severe malnutrition
is to get re -connected w/ something important that I lost along the way
So on this hike I'm just gonna keep my mustache trimmed enough so that the vegetarians don't ask me about the benefits of my plankton diet and let all other hair grow as it will
"I almost cut my hair, it was happened just the other day.
It was gettin' kinda long, I could've said it was in my way.
But I didn't and I wonder why, I feel like letting my freak flag fly,
And I feel like I owe it to someone"

Andrewsobo
05-21-2012, 00:39
I think I'm going to do that too. Nature has gifted me with a comically developed monk look at 24 and so I keep my hair extremely short and shave every two weeks. I'm giving up on that for this hike, and I'm just going to let whatever crazy look nature decided on for me happen.

Basically a skullet by the end I'm guessing.

Whack-a-mole
05-21-2012, 13:33
I'm leaving Thurs to do Winding Stair to NOC. When I get up in the morning I look like a porcupine with my hair all jacked up, so about 15mins after I post this it will ALL BE GONE! I'll have the freedom to just get up and go and not worry about it. I wish I could have longer hair, but my job doesn't allow it, so it's just easier to cut it off and be done with it.

Connie
05-22-2012, 17:50
My brothers used to let their beards grow: we have family photos of them posing next to branches of pine needles for comparison.

I have long hair that reaches nearly to my waist.

It surprises other hikers to see my hair. It is a white.

BTW, I had my white hair started when I was 9 years old. I am not ancient.

It is fun to see the startled looks. I am a strong hiker.

rocketsocks
05-22-2012, 17:57
My brothers used to let their beards grow: we have family photos of them posing next to branches of pine needles for comparison.

I have long hair that reaches nearly to my waist.

It surprises other hikers to see my hair. It is a white.

BTW, I had my white hair started when I was 9 years old. I am not ancient.

It is fun to see the startled looks. I am a strong hiker.That's funny connie,and Awesome as well.Whis I could let my freak flag fly,but whenever i start to grow a beard or my hair gets to long,I just can't take it and it's like look out....my family can see it in my eyes,they say going out in the garade to cut your hair huh?ya think they now me?..........LOLcheers, keepin it real.

Miner
05-23-2012, 13:34
I cut my hair really short just before starting the PCT and then went to a barber twice during my thru-hike. I have always had short hair so I tried growing it out after my hike. That only lasted about a year as during the following summer when I got sick of the extra heat and sweat, I hacked it off in frustration. Perhaps if it got long enough to make a pony tail, it wouldn't have been as bad. Then there is the whole issue of insects like ticks which are easier to find with short hair. I don't get why anyone would want to thru-hike with long hair (well I can understand why a few woman might want to, but not the rest of us).

Rickard
05-23-2012, 13:50
My hair was about 8" long for the past 2 years, but I cut it short once I decided to hike a lot this year. I couldn't stand it my first few times out, and it was time to make it short anyway. I can't very well say I did it solely for the trail, but it was a big part on why I didn't dither about making the decision.

House of Payne
05-28-2012, 11:27
Had a dream last nite, more like a nightmare, about having long hair and having a panic attack about it. I will most likely keep my hair short for hygeine and personal reasons. In fact it may be a better help having short hair when doing daily but checks.

House of Payne
05-28-2012, 11:47
Had a dream last nite, more like a nightmare, about having long hair and having a panic attack about it. I will most likely keep my hair short for hygeine and personal reasons. In fact it may be a better help having short hair when doing daily but checks. ** Bug checks**

rocketsocks
05-28-2012, 12:06
Had a dream last nite, more like a nightmare, about having long hair and having a panic attack about it. I will most likely keep my hair short for hygeine and personal reasons. In fact it may be a better help having short hair when doing daily but checks.On the other hand,the long hair could come in handy for head removal,a good sharp tug ought a do do it.

kayak karl
05-28-2012, 12:07
i'm not sure if the trail passes Mayberry :rolleyes:

Velvet Gooch
05-28-2012, 12:39
Long hair? beard? shabby clothes? Pick any two. All three will get you picked up on a vagrancy charge in The South.

Greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes. Aquamiralung

rocketsocks
05-28-2012, 12:57
Long hair? beard? shabby clothes? Pick any two. All three will get you picked up on a vagrancy charge in The South.

Greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes. AquamiralungAnd eyeing with bad intent too.

wcgornto
05-28-2012, 13:58
I had a haircut #3 length hair and beard before starting the AT in Maine, again in Hanover, NH and again in Front Royal, VA. I never let myself adopt the full hippy look, just the slovenly bum look.

House of Payne
05-29-2012, 10:42
I'm sure I will look like I don't belong compared to all the other male thru hikers.

bushcraft
05-29-2012, 12:34
Carry a battery operated beard trimmer. Its easier than shaving with a razor and you can shave your head with it too.

That's exactly what I do on 1+ month hikes.

Double function - 1. Trip beard when it grows in. 2. Cut hair.

I use the small compact single AA ones that I charge with my solar panel while hiking.

TrailImpact
05-29-2012, 18:32
I have been letting my hair grow for a few years now. Never a problem once it reaches the ponytail length. Keeps me cool way longer when i dunk my head in a stream, than if i had had short hair. Does require a little brushing, but other than that, its no trouble. Never was one to conform ;)

At the same time I understand you all who go for the clippers, might have done that if my head didn't look like the moon from hitting it so many times! lol

Impact

scree
05-29-2012, 18:41
I'm sure I will look like I don't belong compared to all the other male thru hikers.

If you feel the need to belong you're missing the point, assuming there is a point.

Sacchoromyces
05-29-2012, 22:20
I had pony tail hair until I crashed my mtn. bike and really ****ed up my right eye & orbital. That eye is blind and I have a numb area on my cheek. I really could no longer tell if it was in my eye, et c. I keep it cut now.

House of Payne
05-30-2012, 08:13
If you feel the need to belong you're missing the point, assuming there is a point.

There's nothing missing, I'm absolutely my own person and follow the beat of my own drum. It was more of a statement, knowing my looks will be as if I just started the thru vs. just finishing.

House of Payne
05-30-2012, 08:14
I had pony tail hair until I crashed my mtn. bike and really ****ed up my right eye & orbital. That eye is blind and I have a numb area on my cheek. I really could no longer tell if it was in my eye, et c. I keep it cut now.
Did your pony tail affect your accident?

GrayBear
05-30-2012, 11:37
For many years I have just used an inexpensive $20 trimmer to give myself a weekly #1 haircut, beard trim, and to tidy up my mustache and eyebrows (my wife insists). I tried a #1/2 for about two years but I like the feel of the #1 a bit more and my beard was a bit itchy for a day or two with the #1/2. Changing back and forth between the two attachments was a bit more of a haste than I was willing to endure although perfect grooming would be a #1 beard and a #1/2 scalp. My wife will shave the back of my neck when she wants me to look civilized For a long hike, I will either pack the trimmer or stash it in a bounce box. I like the idea of a bounce box with comfortable town clothes, cleaning supplies, repair kit, first aid supplies, miscellaneous consumables, and my trimmer.

Lemni Skate
05-30-2012, 13:37
I plan to scruff up, but I'll shave when I get to town and probably get a haircut once a month.

Theosus
05-31-2012, 06:50

I'm the same with my hair. It's got to be short.
I have to shave, though. I can't stand more than a day or two of stubble. If I had the money I'd get laser hair removal on my face and never shave again.

mtnkngxt
05-31-2012, 18:51
I always get a haircut in town on long section hikes and typically bounce box a razor and blades so I can shave once a week or so.

Sacchoromyces
06-03-2012, 17:21
Did your pony tail affect your accident?
Nope, but the long hair was getting into the damaged area post surgery and it really creeped me out. It was also an avenue for infection post-op.

Lyle
06-03-2012, 22:37
Any good old fashioned barbershops along the trail? I'm kind of nostalgic for those. I recall when I was a kid, we would visit the the small town where my dad grew up and get my hair cut at the barber shop/sporting goods store on main street. It had one chair for the one custormer, benches for all the people hanging out watching/talking, lots of dead animals and gun racks on the wall, good selection of fishing tackle for sale, live bait, etc... I think it's a guy thing.

My barber shop here in Michigan has two chairs for getting your hair cut, and about 10 chairs for visitors. Plus the back room with a dining room table and chairs. Coffee pot always full, plus a pot of something for lunch most days, definitely on holidays for any police/fire/EMS folks and anyone else who wants to stop in for lunch. Opens usually about 5:30 AM, stays open 'till 4PM except Mondays, closed on Monday along with every other barber shop in the area - gentleman's agreement so no one steals another shop's regulars.

Love going in there, a bit of old times.

Giantsbane
06-04-2012, 01:28
I've had a beard for the past three years (only shaving it off twice for theater roles) and I havn't had hair above my ears since I was 13. I plan on keeping all of my hair long and wild. Thankfully I've been blessed with super thick hair so it takes about 4-5 days to start looking or feeling gross and in the woods it feels like it takes longer.