PDA

View Full Version : Best product to clean a hydration bag/hose?

Big Dawg
04-08-2005, 20:53
I left my gookinaid (like gatoraid) in my hydration bag too long after a recent hike & developed a little mold,, yuk. What's the best product to use to thoroughly clean the bag w/o leaving an after-taste. Thanks!

oldfivetango
04-08-2005, 21:04
After trying the bladder and sip hose I noticed it "gunked-up" after 2 or
three days and the bladder had a slimey coating on the inside.After treating it with Clorox and a brush I decided to abandon the bladder and hose altogether.The reason was the cleaning issue as another chore and the overall
source of contamination(ie illness) from an unsanitary method of containment.
Alot easier to clean a bottle although bottles aren't nearly as convenient as a
sipper hose.To each his own.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

Stoker53
04-08-2005, 21:08
Mix a 10% solution of chlorene bleach ( Chlorox ) and water. 12.8 oz of bleach and add enough water to fill a gallon container. Fill the bag about 1/2 full , close the opening and give it a good shake for several minutes.

Let it sit for 30 minutes minimum then drain out the liquid thru the hose.

Rinse the bag with clean water until you no longer detect the bleach smell.

hikerjohnd
04-08-2005, 21:12
How about the cleaning tabs sold by Camelbak? Are they any good?

Stoker53
04-08-2005, 21:19
HJ...never used the tabs so I can't comment on them. The 10% bleach solution is an FDA approved agent for disenfecting stuff. Most every one has bleach at home so it's always handy.

Brock
04-08-2005, 21:23
My Outdoor hydro bag suggested that I use baking soda and lime juice along with some water to dilute the solution. Seems to work fine for semi-clean bags, so I'm not sure about mold. Try using some really hot water.