PDA

View Full Version : Great Colorado Loop Trail

heavyfoot
05-20-2012, 12:01
I came across Big G's GCL trail journal last night. I wish I'd found it a year ago when I was planning this summer's hike. I was baffled about how to get out of Durango since they discontinued the bus service. My plan is to take the railway up to Elk Creek and pick up the CDT from there and hike south to Grants but I would much rather have continued hiking in CO. I think my late July start date is too late to attempt a loop in CO this year (or is it)? Here's a link to his route:

http://www.restlessadventurer.net/backpacking/long-distance/great-colorado-loop/colorado_map.php

Has anyone had any experience on this route? He was unable to finish it due to time constraints.

Ronnwell
05-21-2012, 21:14
No experience, but I think its awesome! Hope to see more people connecting other parts of CO ...

rastayogi
05-22-2012, 01:48
I guess it depends how much you like to hike. If you do 20 miles a day avg it would take you around 50 days.
\

heavyfoot
05-22-2012, 02:06
Well... I'm more like a 10mpd average. Might be even slower depending on how I do at 10,000+ ft with asthma.

jbsbestfan
05-22-2012, 07:31
fyi heavyfoot, last year on our section hike of 20-21, my nephew with asthma and an inhaler had no problems with the altitude. we suspect that his inhaled helped him and all wanted to try it, but we didnt. One other person didnt have trouble, but three non-asthma people did.

heavyfoot
05-22-2012, 08:36
That's good to know. I've been hiking at 9,000 ft without any problems and I'll have several inhalers with me. My guess is I'll be fine but I'm planning on a relaxed itinerary just in case.

rastayogi
05-25-2012, 00:10
Heavyfoot I have a random for of asthma, but sometimes need my inhailer and I do well. When you first start it can be rough for 10 mins then you get your breath.