PDA

View Full Version : 4 day hike

I miss Mtns.
05-20-2012, 15:09
I am planning a 3 night, 4 day hike in the southern appalachians for the last week of may. I have been researching and have narrowed my choices to the standing indian loop, springer to neels, and the AT between winding stair and the NOC. Can anyone suggest which of the three would be best for a solo trip? I am not concerned with covering alot of miles. 20-40 is plenty. I am looking for lots of good views, possibly waterfalls, relitively low bear issues, and a much needed escape from florida palmetto scrub. I grew up in maryland and have backpacked much of the AT from WV through PA, and am dying for a week of good views. If anyone lives in the area and would consider shuttling a poor man for cheap that would be great too.

Rusty Nail
05-20-2012, 15:50
Winding Stair to NOC. The views are awesome Siler bald Wayah bald, the lookout tower and a nice long downhill into NOC. Camp on Siler Bald. There is also a small waterfall just off of Winding Stair.

daddytwosticks
05-20-2012, 16:13
Winding Stair to NOC. The views are awesome Siler bald Wayah bald, the lookout tower and a nice long downhill into NOC. Camp on Siler Bald. There is also a small waterfall just off of Winding Stair.
+1. I'm doing Wayah Gap to the NOC over Memorial Day weekend. Maybe I'll see you out there. :)

I miss Mtns.
05-20-2012, 17:44
Thanks for the input, from some of the pics that I've seen this looks like a winner. I wont be there until memorial day or maybe the day after, probably hike mon-thurs or tues-fri. I am planning on bringing a hammock/tarp setup and probably just a fleece bag (possibly a sheet-type liner as well). The weather seems mild enough now not to warrant the 20* down bag. Any suggestions?