PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum and heat

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 21:24
I posted this at my site, but since we have a more eclectic group over here and there might be someone with the answer I decided to post here too...

I've been using the test Pentagon stove that is made from aluminum for a few days now. I've put it through some big fires - much bigger than you would need to boil two cups of water. After all this it isn't showing any signs of warping or fatigue.

It's 22 gage aluminum sheet you can get at Lowe's for about $4. I'm just wondering if I am making a big mistake if I recommend this material for the DIY builder. It certainly is a lot cheaper and easier to work with than the same amount of Ti.

http://hikinghq.net/ionstove/images/100_0343.jpg

http://hikinghq.net/ionstove/images/100_0345.jpg

I've also found that fanning the fire is a lot easier than using a blow tube.

Anyway, are there any experts than can tell me how much heat this sort of stuff can take?

hikerjohnd
04-08-2005, 22:13
I'm no expert - but have you tried putting a torch to it? A small propane torch will throw more heat than any fire a hiker builds inside the stove. If it can stand up to that, then I'd be wlling to bet building this out of Ti will be unnecessary...

HughD
04-08-2005, 22:16
Sgt Rock,

Aluminum

Melting Point: 660.37 °C (933.52 °K, 1220.666 °F)
Boiling Point: 2467.0 °C (2740.15 °K, 4472.6 °F)

My source on the web is: www.chemicalelements.com/elements/al.html

From my engineering days, I remember that 650 F temp starts the transformation - aluminum softens. The thicker the piece the longer to melt completely - but AL will melt at 1220 F.

kInd of like an ice cube - ice melts above 32 F. Larger pieces take longer.

HughD

prozac
04-08-2005, 22:36
I've been using a piece of aluminum coil stock for aluminum siding that if memory serves correct is 24 gauge for 4 years now as a pot stand and haven't noticed any warping or signs of melting at all. I don't think an alcohol stove can possibly generate enough heat to ever distort the aluminum. Plus aluminum is much easier to work with and alot cheaper.

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 22:38
Well actually I went to this material because the Atomic Fireball stove I have been playing with burned through the flashing material.

Pencil Pusher
04-09-2005, 21:56
FWIW, one winter outing I attempted to use my aluminum shovel blade to cook Jiffy Pop popcorn over a fire consisting of about a dozen presto logs. None of the goretex plastic melted as I held the handle, just the metal blade all of the sudden drooped in one corner and fell off.