PDA

View Full Version : Spring water report ~ Southern District

johnnybgood
05-20-2012, 19:19
Southern District ~ Swift Run Gap to Rockfish Gap

Hightop Mountain Hut - Spring running strong . >Filled a 32 ounce Nalgene in 4 seconds.

Pinefield Gap Hut - Stream full & running fast. >Filled the Nalgene bottle in 2.4 seconds.

Blackrock Hut - Piped spring was flowing better than ever. >Filled Nalgene in 1.4 seconds.

Calf Mountain Shelter - Piped spring was flowing stronger than I've ever seen it . > Filled Nalgene in 17 seconds flat.

* There is more rain forcast for the park the next couple days.

bigcranky
05-20-2012, 21:35
Nice to know, thanks. Will be there next week.

Water is good.

johnnybgood
05-20-2012, 21:58
You will find temperatures warming up, but water will not be a problem next week.

Indeed....In my mind water is like gold.

johnnybgood
07-05-2012, 17:44
Updated Spring conditions in Shenandoah National Park --7-4-2012

Southern District ---Swift Run >Rockfish Gap

HighTop Hut : Spring located 80 ft. downhill was running steady and I filled 32oz. Nalgene in 7 seconds.

Pinefield Hut : Spring to the right in front of shelter saw only pools of water several inches deep. Scoop test showed murky water.

Blackrock Hut : Spring 20 ft. downhill was strong and I filled my Nalgene in 4 seconds.

Calf Mtn Shelter : Located on blueblaze before the Shelter. The extreme heat kept me from hiking into this one. My guess is it too has a steady but slower flow than Blackrock.

Other water sources include the spigots at the Simmons Gap Ranger Station--8 miles south of Swift Run.
The PATC Maintanance Shed 3.8 miles south of Pinefield Gap.

Loft Mountain Campground --spigots outside bath houses and at check in station.

bigcranky
07-05-2012, 21:54
Don't forget the Dundo picnic area just north of Blackrock parking area. I enjoyed a really nice break there, hanging at a picnic table in the shade. Plenty of water, and pit toilets.

Mike2012
07-06-2012, 09:51
Calf Mtn shelter water was an easy side hike and quite good about a week and a half ago. Blackrock spring was flowing strong and COLD and very welcome! Hightop Hut spring was similar to Blackrock. Pass Mtn. Hut had a nice clean spring flowing strong and cold about 30' ft behind the shelter as well. Gravel Spring was flowing but not extraordinary. South into north was quite dry between shelters but then again there were the waysides and camp stores when the power was on. Bears were everywhere. Hike on.

canoe
07-06-2012, 18:04
Johnny thanks for the spring report. How are the blowdowns following the storm???

canoe
07-07-2012, 09:41
WOW i am getting very conflicting reports as to the trail conditions. Has any body been to the SNP AT since the storm

campinguy
08-02-2012, 01:07
Nice to know, thanks. Will be there next week.

Water is good. Water Delivery Los Angeles (http://waterable.com/california/los%20angeles-ca)

Drinking a nice cold glass myself :D