PDA

View Full Version : How many days from Erwin to Damascus?

Hiker Dave
05-20-2012, 19:21
I want to hike the section from Erwin to Damascus starting June 9th. I have 8 days to make it to Damascus and I am wondering if that is possible. Any info would be great and things that would be a must see or areas perfect for tenting would be appreciated. Also I have been in contact with Lone Wolf about transportation back to erwin but I am thinking of parking in damascus and having Lone wolf shuttle me to erwin but only if I can make the hike in a 8 days or less so that my truck is there and ready to go when I arrive.

Thanks Dave

Rusty Nail
05-20-2012, 20:38
I had to leave from Erwin but my buddies who kept going were in Damascus a week later. However they did a 33 going into town.

JJJ
05-20-2012, 21:39
Yes, but 10 days would be closer to average.
The terrain toward the Damascus end is a lot easier.

Hiker Dave
05-21-2012, 09:42
Yes, but 10 days would be closer to average.
The terrain toward the Damascus end is a lot easier.

Thanks for the replies, I was kinda figuring :-? 10 days without killing myself. I have been lurking on the forum reading all I can find about section hiking and just signed up to start asking some questions. Would there be a place to get off the trail and find a shuttle back to my starting spot without much trouble??? I was thinking somewhere after the Kincora Hostel and Laurel Falls area.... I would really like to see/camp in that area.

JJJ
05-21-2012, 16:16
If you ran short on time you could pop off the trail at mile 442.0 (30 miles N of Kincora) on TN 91 and call for a shuttle with a Verizon phone (maybe), or hitch straight into Damascus.

10-K
05-21-2012, 22:09
It would be quicker to hike from Damascus to Erwin....if you're worried about running out of time.

baxter
05-22-2012, 01:16
Dave, I think 8 days is do-able. I hiked it in 8 on my thru and that was with one zero, so actually 7 hiking days. I don't know what kind of much hiking shape you are in though, it is always good to have a Plan "B".

Hiker Dave
05-22-2012, 09:10
Well I am going to park at Johnny's in Erwin and have a shuttle take me to Hwy 321 by Lake Watuga and hike back to Erwin. I am in pretty good shape, heck I wheelbarrowed 4,000 pounds of river rock from the driveway to the back yard this past weekend and wasn't sore to my surprise. I also ride by bike about 14 miles 2 to 3 times a week and race enduros on my KTM but I know that might not be hiking shape. Thank you to all that responded, I am looking forward to my hike.

ChinMusic
05-22-2012, 09:45
If you ran short on time you could pop off the trail at mile 442.0 (30 miles N of Kincora) on TN 91 and call for a shuttle with a Verizon phone (maybe), or hitch straight into Damascus.

You have AT&T at TN 91. I was just there last Wed.

If I were going to have to skip an area due to time the first area would be Pond Flats. Just hike the blue blaze to 321 and hitch to Watauga Lake. Saves like 7 miles and a meaningless climb.