PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Do When Bored At The Shelter?

P-Train
05-20-2012, 21:54
Cards, frisbee, bourbon, just relax... all of the above?

Wise Old Owl
05-20-2012, 21:58
Great idea for a post - I "hang" with others at the shelter - but being old school I retire to shelter nearby - that's Secluded..... so no one has to listen to me snoring, belching, breaking wind, or other social offenses - such as eating small rodents.

Velvet Gooch
05-20-2012, 22:30
As WhiteBlaze is a family friendly site, I'll refrain from saying, but I'm a handsome devil... charming, too. Use your imagination.

rocketsocks
05-20-2012, 22:47
As WhiteBlaze is a family friendly site, I'll refrain from saying, but I'm a handsome devil... charming, too. Use your imagination.paddleball?

rocketsocks
05-20-2012, 22:48
paddleball?No,no,wait.....Jax

scree
05-20-2012, 22:59
I carve sticks. Sometimes I carve faces into sticks, other times I make bullroarers, feather sticks, try sticks, or whistles. On rare occasions I just section sticks and arrange them by size and length appropriate to build up a fire. Every once in a while I actually make a fire, most of the time I just leave them for someone else who may need them. When I'm done carving, I read a book or hone my knife on my handy redneck strop (strip of fine grit sandpaper).

rocketsocks
05-20-2012, 23:04
Chaining three lief clovers,skip stones,and yes whittle,though I never have figured out it's purpose,maybe just to supply kindling for a fire?

SunnyWalker
05-20-2012, 23:18
I carry a small deck of playing cards.

Feral Bill
05-20-2012, 23:55
Great idea for a post - I "hang" with others at the shelter - but being old school I retire to shelter nearby - that's Secluded..... so no one has to listen to me snoring, belching, breaking wind, or other social offenses - such as eating small rodents.
You must hack up a heck of a pellet!

Velvet Gooch
05-21-2012, 00:09

When I was a wee goochling, an owl used to roast nearby and steal our hens. I want to say that he had to be 36" tall, but WOO 'd call me a liar. Anyway, I swear his pellets were the size of a L'eggs pantyhose egg.

ScottP
05-21-2012, 00:52
hike

Johnny Thunder
05-21-2012, 01:36
the billville safety research patented and tested game for all ages...

GEORGIA MOUNTAIN SHELTER BINGO

arrive at the shelter early and hand out a few bingo cards. besides the central free space each one is marked at random with common words and phrases one might hear if one was to spend more than 10 minutes around a shelter in Georgia. including:

how much does that weigh?
what's for dinner?
where's the privy?
does that power outlet work?
i aint trying to jinx this or nuthin', but i hear some good things about this here pct.

the winner gets his/her own package of instant pudding.

fiddlehead
05-21-2012, 02:58
Go hike some more.
I actually enjoy it.

daddytwosticks
05-21-2012, 07:21
I write naughty limmericks in the shelter logs......

stranger
05-21-2012, 08:03
Never been bored while hiking

WIAPilot
05-21-2012, 08:05
Email + iPad when I have signal. Write in journal at other times.

garlic08
05-21-2012, 08:11
Go for a walk on the AT.

kayak karl
05-21-2012, 08:23
Go hike some more.
I actually enjoy it.
got to agree. if i'm bored i didn't hike far enough.

hikerboy57
05-21-2012, 08:44
Same here.im a backpacker not a camper
May as well find out whats ahead.

SunnyWalker
05-21-2012, 08:49
Yep, when i wrote "i bring a small deck of cards", in my mind I said to meeself "didn't hike far enuff, keep walkin' why burn daylight sittin' 'round some boring shelter?"

Pedaling Fool
05-21-2012, 09:01
I don't get bored, except when sitting around and participating in small-talk.

Panzer1
05-21-2012, 10:59
sleep.....

JaxHiker
05-21-2012, 12:19
I try to plan so I stop in time to make camp, eat, and go to bed. Hiking solo makes this easier.

Ender
05-21-2012, 13:16
I write, or draw, or whittle sticks, or read... sometimes I just lay back and watch the clouds drift by.

Monkeywrench
05-21-2012, 13:39
Pack up and hike.

WIAPilot
05-21-2012, 15:11
1. How about a small crossword puzzle book to be used around the campfire or in the shelter? Read the clues aloud to everyone or work it yourself in your tent. Especially good when it is raining.

2. A small Sudoku book of puzzles so your brain does not turn to mush.

3. Take along some Trivial Pursuit cards and get a game going.

JaxHiker
05-21-2012, 15:52
2. A small Sudoku book of puzzles so your brain does not turn to mush.
I went into Franklin last year and picked up a Sudoku book from the grocery. At the shelter that night I realized I have no concept of the game. I'm sure I still have it somewhere. I don't think I made it past the first puzzle. :-P

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

bigcranky
05-21-2012, 16:16
Um, keep hiking. I like to take long breaks during the day, then walk until nearly dark and camp for the night. Easier in the summer, of course -- the short winter days lead to a lot of bag time.

rocketsocks
05-21-2012, 16:21
I always bring a small 30x loupe (magnifying glass)many times I have been sitting,and then pulled out my glass,and just searched the world around me in a three foot circle,lots to see there,bugs,minerals,plants,another hobby is to look at the really far,far away,though I've never taken a telescope on a hike.Some micro minerals to be found on the trail on the trail include,Magnetite crystals black looks like two upside down pyramids back to back and is magnetic,Garnets reddish black dodecahedral,which is kinda looks like a 12 sided soccer ball,Chromite,which looks exactly like the magnetite but is not magnetic,and many many others.

jakedatc
05-21-2012, 16:38
Yep, keep hiking to the next one. set up, eat, read a bit on my Ipod touch and crash out.

WIAPilot
05-21-2012, 16:40
I went into Franklin last year and picked up a Sudoku book from the grocery. At the shelter that night I realized I have no concept of the game. I'm sure I still have it somewhere. I don't think I made it past the first puzzle. :-P

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

PM me and I'll teach you! :cool: Listen, I even taught my mom how to do it by phone. You are still young for "Bubble Brains" when your mind turns to mush, LOL, but I swear these types of games help. I play the one in my local newspaper daily. It only takes about 10 min.

johnnybgood
05-21-2012, 16:46
Rocketsocks... you should be more interesting .

Ender
05-21-2012, 17:15
One thing that I think should be mentioned is that it's not always smart to just keep hiking. Avoiding injury, giving your feet a rest, etc, are all reasons to not just keep hiking until bed time. Even if you want to keep hiking, it's not always the smart thing to do, so it's good to be able to keep yourself entertained while in camp.

And Rocketsocks, I love that idea.

WIAPilot
05-21-2012, 17:23
One thing that I think should be mentioned is that it's not always smart to just keep hiking. Avoiding injury, giving your feet a rest, etc, are all reasons to not just keep hiking until bed time. Even if you want to keep hiking, it's not always the smart thing to do, so it's good to be able to keep yourself entertained while in camp.

And Rocketsocks, I love that idea.

I was thinking exactly the same. I know that when I am overly tired - that is when I often stumble!

jakedatc
05-21-2012, 17:28
True, it would depend on the hike that day. you can do a lot of things to time things so you arrive when you want if you're not pushing the make miles. mid day rest stop at a nice location.. taking it easier up/down hills.. sleep in

for me, being alone at a shelter/camp is really boring. I'd much prefer to have a few people around.. then arriving earlier wouldn't be as bad. but solo i don't want to sit around waiting for it to get dark

rocketsocks
05-21-2012, 17:31
Rocketsocks... you should be more interesting .Yep,mundane,bad humor is a little grinding I guess,thanks for the advise.perhaps an Article on my endeavors over the years.My hiking largely consists of short field trips in search of minerls,and or whatever,it's not been uncommon to find the garbage dump of a long lost mining site.

Rocket Jones
05-21-2012, 17:36
Not from boredom, but I'll write in my journal or pull out my sketchbook. I always have my paintbox or a few pens with water-soluble ink and a waterbrush.

rocketsocks
05-21-2012, 17:42
Not from boredom, but I'll write in my journal or pull out my sketchbook. I always have my paintbox or a few pens with water-soluble ink and a waterbrush.Hey Rocket J. that's cool,I too have put together a small Pochade box that uses a limited palate,blue,red,yellow,and white,and a few pastels.My aim is to nurture this a little,as I am no artist,but would just like to capture the moment with a color study,to then be worked out at a later time.

WIAPilot
05-21-2012, 17:53
Not from boredom, but I'll write in my journal or pull out my sketchbook. I always have my paintbox or a few pens with water-soluble ink and a waterbrush.

Wow. Now that ​is cool.

rocketsocks
05-21-2012, 18:02
There is a term painters use called Ariel Perspective,which says each receeding horizon is painted,or drawn it gets a lighter in value,an effect I like to capture and always find fastenating wether in paintings or in real life,a very fine thing,fine indeed.

Odd Man Out
05-21-2012, 18:28
There is a term painters use called Ariel Perspective,which says each receeding horizon is painted,or drawn it gets a lighter in value,an effect I like to capture and always find fastenating wether in paintings or in real life,a very fine thing,fine indeed.

Gee, I thought everyone just argued about who had the best gear.

Cherokee Bill
05-21-2012, 18:43
Easy question: "I do not stay in shelters"!

Spokes
05-21-2012, 18:57
What Do You Do When Bored At The Shelter?

Qigong!

rocketsocks
05-21-2012, 19:01
Gee, I thought everyone just argued about who had the best gear.Ever see the movie "Modigliani",him and Picasso hated each other,but I don't know if they hiked.Scientist and Chemists can be a tough bunch too.;)

hikerboy57
05-21-2012, 20:46
i hardly ever get bored. i sat at gentian pond shelter 2 yrs back and watched the light change from late afternoon till darkness, maybe 4 or 5 hours, and never once felt "bored".
but im a section hiker, and the limited times I spend in the mountains, i revel in it. i suppose on a complete thru, there are those times of boredom, but if i were that bored id either sleep or hike. as rocket socks noted, theres a whole universe going on all around you. you just have toi notice it.

Wise Old Owl
05-21-2012, 21:01

When I was a wee goochling, an owl used to roast nearby and steal our hens. I want to say that he had to be 36" tall, but WOO 'd call me a liar. Anyway, I swear his pellets were the size of a L'eggs pantyhose egg.

made my day... thanks. My wife found it hilarious.

Joker4ink
05-22-2012, 02:09
I have a couple things I do. Sometimes I break out my Z-Lite, sit back and just watch/listen to what nature has to offer. I play a lot of solitaire or listen to my tiny, 1.65oz dollar-store radio. I'll generally take out my map, look at the upcoming spots and mileage and think about the upcoming day(s). I also write in my journal to pass time and always remember my travels.

P-Train
05-22-2012, 06:34
What I really meant was when you MUST stay at a shelter. As in can't hike for one reason or another. Although I did like all the "hike more" posts. Wood carving, magnifying glass & bingo. Awesome. Think I'll bring my mini Trivial Pursuit cards just for fun.

Not trying to make a party at a shelter, just wanted to know what you do to pass the time if there is any left.

kayak karl
05-22-2012, 07:13
What I really meant was when you MUST stay at a shelter. As in can't hike for one reason or another. Although I did like all the "hike more" posts. Wood carving, magnifying glass & bingo. Awesome. Think I'll bring my mini Trivial Pursuit cards just for fun.

Not trying to make a party at a shelter, just wanted to know what you do to pass the time if there is any left.
"MUST stay at shelter???" Why? even in a downpour i would try to get some sleep. Trivial Pursuit :( now i have another reason to never stay in a shelter or hut.

coach lou
05-22-2012, 07:22
When I get to a shelter I want to get water, eat, then sleep... when I get up I leave.

WIAPilot
05-22-2012, 07:37
"MUST stay at shelter???" Why? even in a downpour i would try to get some sleep. Trivial Pursuit :( now i have another reason to never stay in a shelter or hut.

Look, it's been years since I played the game, but I guess if it is pouring outside and it is either that or watch the guys trim their toenails or rig up a net for the mice on the flying trapeze, you get desperate! (Have you actually played Trivial Pursuit?? I guess if you have, you must really suck at the game...) :sun

hikerboy57
05-22-2012, 10:17
If youre really bored you can find out how long cheese lasts

WingedMonkey
05-22-2012, 10:34
I only get bored when someone at a shelter won't shut up. Then I head for my tent.

P-Train
05-22-2012, 17:15
Wow.. really?

Miner
05-23-2012, 13:39
If you are bored, then you stopped hiking too early for the day. Pack up and hike on a few more miles and camp in your tent if you aren't near a shelter.

Ender
05-23-2012, 13:51
If you are bored, then you stopped hiking too early for the day. Pack up and hike on a few more miles and camp in your tent if you aren't near a shelter.

As has been pointed out earlier, that's not always the responsible choice. Sometimes it's not even an available choice.

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 16:42
I hear good things about licking batteries(9v):pfrom Whack-a-mole:D

Miner
05-23-2012, 20:05
As has been pointed out earlier, that's not always the responsible choice. Sometimes it's not even an available choice. There are only a few places on the AT where you are limited in where you can camp. For most people, that isn't the issue of why they stop early at a shelter instead of hiking along farther and camping instead. As for responsible choice, obviously people need to hike within the limitations of their own bodies, however, for most of the hike after a short break in period, this shouldn't be an issue either. If you find hiking all day breaking your body down too much, slow your average pace down or take more short breaks through out the day which will allow you to hike until late.

Del Q
05-23-2012, 20:38
I try to time my afternoons to where I am thinking I might camp.............typically a tenting spot with a view..............if by a shelter I typically slow down, take more breaks.

Get a lot less bored by being in the woods and slowing my pace / frequency of stops - views and NOT showing up early at a shelter

Lone Wolf
05-23-2012, 20:39
i carve stuff in the shelter and picnic table

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 20:48
i carve stuff in the shelter and picnic tableDo you carve someone else's name in it?:D

coach lou
05-23-2012, 20:59
Do you carve someone else's name in it?:D

His laundry number, w/eagle, globe, & anchor

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 21:50
His laundry number, w/eagle, globe, & anchorNo doubt!;)

dale1627
05-23-2012, 22:18
I still remember my laundry number twenty years later. Semper Fidelis.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

coach lou
05-23-2012, 22:20
I still remember my laundry number twenty years later. Semper Fidelis.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

.............44.............'76'

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 22:55
.............44.............'76'I remeber mine to...Docket#1234-123:eek:

cavediver256
05-23-2012, 23:49
OK, I will bite....Platoon 2000 Laundry # 30 '87

ChinMusic
05-23-2012, 23:57
Usu I'm too tired to be bored. It will be time for sleep soon anyway.

Veetack
05-24-2012, 00:04
OK, I will bite....Platoon 2000 Laundry # 30 '87

Platoon 3070 Laundry #62 '01

As for boredom at the Shelter, I like to read the shelter log. Or if it is worth it, such as at Icewater Springs shelter in GSMNP, I'll get on top of the shelter and enjoy the view.

TexasEd
05-25-2012, 15:41
I walk until I'm tired and then I set up my tent, roll out my bed, filter water, cook food, write a paragraph in my journal, eat, hang out my wet socks and then fall asleep.

Deadeye
05-25-2012, 21:37
usually just eat & head to sleep (but not in the shelter!). if there are interesting people about, I'll chat. On shorter trips, my Dad would bring a little book-sized chess set. Sometimes I'll ponder life, or study the local plants (best with a book!), check out the view, watch the sunset, draw, fish, forage, whatever...zzzzzzzz

Miner
05-25-2012, 23:20
So should we start referring to shelters as the Bored Room? I think I remember that from an old comedy movie, "This must be the board room because you all look bored."

jos2thehua
05-27-2012, 09:04
Read a good book, contemplate existence, plan the logistics of the next section of hiking, unpack - repack, brew a hot drink (coffee, tea, cocoa), or if I am not completely spent from the hiking of the day I might do some push-ups, sit-ups, and other core oriented exercises.

rocketsocks
05-27-2012, 09:14
Read a good book, contemplate existence, plan the logistics of the next section of hiking, unpack - repack, brew a hot drink (coffee, tea, cocoa), or if I am not completely spent from the hiking of the day I might do some push-ups, sit-ups, and other core oriented exercises.Now on that there we can agree,except for the push-up/sit-up thing.;)

ferdEggmont
07-27-2012, 21:08
eat a lot, socialize, facebook, sleeeeep

Drybones
07-27-2012, 21:21
My preferrence would be sex...but, I have to settle for whittling and watch the fire burn.

Drybones
07-27-2012, 21:23
got to agree. if i'm bored i didn't hike far enough.

Agree...do 20+ miles and you will be sleeping and not bored.

Wise Old Owl
07-27-2012, 21:34

Na I wouldn't Owls have a silent style and ...folks just tend to exaggerate on WB...:rolleyes:.

I always bring a small 30x loupe (magnifying glass)many times I have been sitting,and then pulled out my glass,and just searched the world around me in a three foot circle,lots to see there,bugs,minerals,plants,another hobby is to look at the really far,far away,though I've never taken a telescope on a hike.Some micro minerals to be found on the trail on the trail include,Magnetite crystals black looks like two upside down pyramids back to back and is magnetic,Garnets reddish black dodecahedral,which is kinda looks like a 12 sided soccer ball,Chromite,which looks exactly like the magnetite but is not magnetic,and many many others.

whoa- and he is not in pet control.... OK

Papa D
07-27-2012, 21:37
like others have said, I'm usually very tired - when I get to a shelter, here is my procedure:

1) stock up on water
2) decide to tent or sleep in the shelter - based on bugs, other people, weather, other people, etc.
3) get set up - either tenting or in the shelter
4) prepare dinner
5) read, listen to my I-pod, stretch, journal, or just relax
6) I might light a candle and read or on occasion, enjoy a little campfire

Different Socks
07-28-2012, 02:26
Write, look at the forest, listen to music, talk to others, enjoy the weather--almost never bored! Rather be there, or any where, other than work.

RED-DOG
07-28-2012, 11:06
Read the Shelter Register if theirs one, if i get to a place and i do get bored i hike on till later in the day and find a place to tent.

Mountain Mike
07-28-2012, 11:15
I carry & read a print out of WB subjects on guns, money, hanging vs sleeping with food, bad trail towns. I printed it on tp so it's multi use.

Wise Old Owl
07-28-2012, 12:06
does the print on the TP change the color of your bum?

Jack Tarlin
07-28-2012, 12:34
Just read this whole thread and was amazed at how people said that when they needed something to do, they pulled out a book. I always make sure to have something good with me, it's usually something not trail-related. But from the comments above, I guess this practice is unusual. Doesn't anybody read any more?

johnnybgood
07-28-2012, 14:59
Just read this whole thread and was amazed at how people said that when they needed something to do, they pulled out a book. I always make sure to have something good with me, it's usually something not trail-related. But from the comments above, I guess this practice is unusual. Doesn't anybody read any more?

I have read books,usually trail related,shelter log books, even backpacking information from the " articles forum " from this website. Reading is in itself a good thing regardless of material content.
Personally, I enjoy watching sunsets if the situation presents itself, talk to other hikers if at shelters, or write in my journal about that days' hike. NEVER a dull moment if you think about it.

hikerboy57
07-28-2012, 15:16
I practice throwing bullets. it's not easy to hit a tick from 50 yards

Jack Tarlin
07-28-2012, 15:19
What I meant to say above, obviously, was that I'm amazed at how FEW people on this thread mentioned taking out a book. or something else to read. That was one of the great things about hiking in New England, I'd always leave town with a couple of newspapers. People usedta tease me on Sundays at the end of the day.....you pull a Sunday Times and Boston Globe outta your pack, you get some funny looks. But funny thing, it was kinda like carrying maps......everyone says they weren't needed, but you pull 'em out at a shelter, and all of a sudden, everyone wants a look!

Ender
07-29-2012, 09:44
I always carry a book when hiking, even if it's just a quick overnight. But then, I almost always carry a book off the trail as well.

Wise Old Owl
07-29-2012, 09:51

Same thing you did in Algebra class..........stare at the teacher and think about the cute tutor......

Wait - What book? 60 pounds of dead weight for school that I was to read? Nope.

Different Socks
07-29-2012, 10:51
What I meant to say above, obviously, was that I'm amazed at how FEW people on this thread mentioned taking out a book. or something else to read. That was one of the great things about hiking in New England, I'd always leave town with a couple of newspapers. People usedta tease me on Sundays at the end of the day.....you pull a Sunday Times and Boston Globe outta your pack, you get some funny looks. But funny thing, it was kinda like carrying maps......everyone says they weren't needed, but you pull 'em out at a shelter, and all of a sudden, everyone wants a look!

I would often carry a BPer mag, or some other such mag. When done reading it, i'd pass it on to other bored people.

Maddog
07-29-2012, 10:58
I head to my hammock AWAY from the shelter! Maddog:)

Double Wide
07-29-2012, 11:10
+1 on the reading a book.

But then, I always feel antsy if I don't have a book on the nightstand at all times. Also, I love to write, and my trail journal will take a good 45 minutes to an hour each night if I have the strength. Even on quick overnights, I'm in my tent with the headlamp on for at least an hour after I go to bed, with the headlamp on either reading or writing.

theinfamousj
07-29-2012, 11:18
I always carry a book when hiking, even if it's just a quick overnight. But then, I almost always carry a book off the trail as well.

As do I. Sometimes I'll carry an eBook on a piece of technology I'm already toting (such as my phone). It is a pain to read on such a tiny screen, but I like to imagine that my back and legs are thanking me for cutting weight where I can.

I'm also in the tear-and-burn camp. Mainly because someone always needs just a teensy bit of paper to get something caught on fire, and does the hopeful doe eyes at me whenever I bust out a book. If it is a 17th edition mass market paperback, I feel no shame in lighting it up!

bear bag hanger
07-29-2012, 12:47
I figure I have stopped a little too soon and go hiking.

OzJacko
07-30-2012, 06:02
In 2011 I placed 13 copies of the Lord of the Rings trilogy in consecutive huts on my local track (Bibbulmun).
In the next month I will be placing copies of Bryson's "Walk in the Woods" in the same huts and replacing the half dozen or so of the Rings' books that "walked".
Those huts are at the southern end and are often the loneliest for hikers (and wettest) and also have campfire bans so are least likely to have the books burnt.

Despite all that I actually don't like to read much on trail myself as I find that I can just sit back and enjoy the serenity if alone and love chatting if with company.

TOW
07-30-2012, 08:55
Cut and stack firewood for myself to have a big fire and to leave some for the next weary hiker...

russ752
08-12-2012, 04:57
Wondered where they came from

Sampson
08-12-2012, 07:04
My preferrence would be sex...but, I have to settle for whittling and watch the fire burn.

The exped 69 doubles as a swedish-looking blow up doll. It's UL and extremely hot for those cold nights out on the trail.

P-Train
08-12-2012, 07:51
I answered my own question on my hike.

I ended up writing the day's events in my journal, fixed my sleeping quarters, got water, cooked, got more water, had good conversation with others and went to bed just before dark. Multiplied by seven days.

End of story.

HooKooDooKu
08-12-2012, 11:23
I recently made a miniature Monopoly set to play when my son and I go camping. The money is 1.5"x2.75" printed on colored paper, the property deeds and other cards are 1.5"x2.25" printed on card stock, the board is 14"x14" printed on card stock with the center cut out (folds down to 2"x7"), the houses and hotels are green and red paper clips (with the center cut out of the board, the simply clip the houses/hotels in place). The tokens are colored paper clips and the dice from a real Monopoly set (because I wanted the new 'Speed Die'). Used a small 1st Aid kit pouch as a storage bag. The whole thing weights 6.5oz.

ChinMusic
08-12-2012, 11:31
This rings true......

Saprogenic
08-12-2012, 11:52
Anyone who gets bored while in the bush, isn't much of an outdoorsman.

Water Rat
08-12-2012, 11:58
I just can't imagine being bored out on the trail... I suppose it happens. I guess I have just never thought about it. Too busy having fun, I guess. :)

Grinder
08-12-2012, 12:26
72 posts before "read" was mentioned.
All the way to my old pal InfamousJ iin post 93 before eBook gets mentioned.
That's my story. I visit if the company is good and read my eBook in its not. Best 1/2 pound I ever added to my pack.

rocketsocks
08-12-2012, 12:29
72 posts before "read" was mentioned.
All the way to my old pal InfamousJ iin post 93 before eBook gets mentioned.
That's my story. I visit if the company is good and read my eBook in its not. Best 1/2 pound I ever added to my pack.Charger included?

kayak karl
08-12-2012, 12:45
Anyone who gets bored while in the bush, isn't much of an outdoorsman.

hike, eat, sleep,hike, eat, sleep,hike, eat, sleep, re-supply, hike, eat, sleep,hike, eat, sleep,hike, eat, sleep, re-supply, hike, eat, sleep,hike, eat, sleep,hike, eat, sleep, re-supply ,hike, eat, sleep,hike, eat, sleep,hike, eat, sleep, re-supply, hike, eat, sleep,hike, eat, sleep,hike, eat, sleep, re-supply, etc
nothing more exciting then that............:-?

max patch
08-12-2012, 12:49
I always carried at least 2 books with me on my first thru. If I was too tired to read I tried to find a news type talk show on my fm radio.

For next years thru I bought a kindle fire for reading and in town internet. I'm disappointed with the battery life so I don't think I'll take it; although I may buy one of "regular" kindles.

Gram weenies stop reading here, but if I leave town on a Sunday I'll most likely bring the Sunday paper.

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2012, 12:50
Jump on White Blaze with Cell Phone and post!

Grinder
08-12-2012, 13:20
Charger included? asks rocketsox

Amazingly, my ebook lasts well over a week. Supposed to last a month reading 300 pages a day. My phone has a compatible charger if you split that weight, add another ounce.

kayak karl
08-12-2012, 14:32
Jump on White Blaze with Cell Phone and post!
did that at TOW's house LOL

MuddyWaters
08-12-2012, 14:34
If you are bored, you probably stopped hiking too early.