PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter question

Praha4
05-20-2012, 22:44
I just bought the new Sawyer Squeeze filter, and love it. Flow rate of approx 1L per minute on my first filtering, which ain't too shabby. It comes with the Sawyer mylar bladders (16 oz, 1L, and 2L) to use with the Sawyer filter. These all work great, but I'm wondering how durable these Sawyer mylar bladders will be on the trial over time.

They advertise that the Sawyer Squeeze is compatible with other water bottle threads, such as the Platypus soft bottles and other plastic water bottles like Aqua Fina. But when I tried to use a Platy 2L bladder with the Sawyer filter, the threads were not compatible, it was leaking around the filter/bladder connection. The threads are not exactly the same as the Sawyer mylar bottles.

has anyone else tried using the Platy softbottles with the Sawyer Squeeze? or any other commercial water bottles besides the mylar bladders?

etokash
05-21-2012, 08:47
I've been using the Sawyer Squeeze for 2 years and have had no problems. I put it into my Camelbak. You do need to carry an ear cleaner syringe if you need water out of a small dribble area.

Bags4266
05-21-2012, 11:05
Just came back from a 450 mile section using the squeeze. The bag held up great. You are correct though with the platy. Mine leaked as well,so if I had a blow out on the squeeze bag I would have been screwed.

Odd Man Out
05-21-2012, 15:43
If this is true, I wonder if it would be better to go with the in-line version of that filter so you could connect to hoses. Has anyone tried using the inline filter with hosing connectors as a squeeze system rather than the recommended gravity set up?

leaftye
05-21-2012, 15:54
It's not compatible with new Platypus threads, but is compatible with new Evernew bladder threads. It's also compatible with water and soda bottles, the exception being the new soda bottles with the shallow cap. Actually, the exception might not be an exception--I'm assuming the threads are too short to engage the gasket washer.

Praha4
05-21-2012, 20:29
yes I've also just tried the Evernew 2L bladder and the threads match fine with the filter.

I also tried removing the rubber washer from the female inlet side as a temporary fix for the Platy bladder connection, it does allow the male end of the Platy bottle to screw into the filter a little further, making a connection more watertight.

I've also found someone who suggested using a "Tornado" type double-female fitting to connect a Platy or Evernew bladders directly to the Clean-Outlet side of the filter. That would also allow for a hiker to connect a bladder to the Clean-side to backflush the filter without using the mfg supplied syringe in the field. Also allows direct filling of a bottle or bladder from the filter.

There are many possibilities with this filter that make it so easy to use in the field.

Del Q
05-21-2012, 20:41
Just ordered one, curious to see how it works...............11+ oz for a water filter is a lot of weight

Bags4266
05-21-2012, 21:40
Just ordered one, curious to see how it works...............11+ oz for a water filter is a lot of weight

The filter is only 3 oz. bladders are whatever size and weight you decide to bring. you would be bringing bladders with you no matter what you use to purify

Connie
05-22-2012, 04:14
inline filter with hosing connectors

I have the inline Sawyer and hose connectors with the quick release. I use Platy bottles. I like it.

There is no harm in squeezing the bag to backflush, or, to speed things up.

I prefer gravity.

I have been looking at the Sawyer Squeeze, because I like fewer parts: no essential parts to be misplaced or lost.

This thread is helping me make the decision. I could use Evernew.

I would rather not have to use the syringe.

leaftye
05-22-2012, 04:44
Connie, if you really intend on using the Evernew, place an order for the Evernew first. There seems to be availability problems with them right now. I'd hate for you to order a Sawyer if you were depending on the Evernew bladders, only to find that you couldn't find the bladders.

If you want other toys for your filter, get the Tornado fitting that Praha4 mentioned, and the inline connector adapters that allows the filter to be used like your current inline filter.

Connie
05-22-2012, 05:19
I googled.

Where do you find the Tornado fitting? Do I need more adapters, if I go that way?

I would rather not carry a syringe.

atbackpacker
05-22-2012, 06:57
try amazon.com for the tornado tube. i just picked one up for my sawyer squeeze a month ago. it seems to work fine and the connection doesn't leak when connected to my platy bottles.
for two bucks, how could you go wrong?

Bags4266
05-22-2012, 07:06
also I went 450 miles and 26 days of hiking with the squeeze and never had to backwash once. if your going to use it on a thru you could keep the syringe in a bump box.

Odd Man Out
05-22-2012, 13:39
Also, REI now has adaptors so you you can connect the squeeze filter to tubing.

http://www.rei.com/product/837889/sawyer-inline-adapter-water-filter-connections

So many options.

jakedatc
05-22-2012, 15:58
Call before you go. My REI had neither the Squeeze or the adaptors in the store.

DaFireMedic
05-22-2012, 22:08
If this is true, I wonder if it would be better to go with the in-line version of that filter so you could connect to hoses. Has anyone tried using the inline filter with hosing connectors as a squeeze system rather than the recommended gravity set up?

I picked up an old platypus with a hose connection on the cap from a thrift store for 50 cents. I used a short section of hose to connect the inline filter as a squeeze system. It works fine
but its an ounce or so heavier the true Sawyer Squeeze system. It is a bit more versatile though.

ChinMusic
05-22-2012, 22:19
I saw a guy using the Sawyer on the AT last week heading into Trail Days. He seemed happy with it.

Praha4
05-23-2012, 02:02
I got a tip from another thread that the washer in the inlet side pf the Sawyer Squeeze filter can be replaced by any standard garden-hose rubber washer if necessary. He said that washer can fall out easily and get lost on the trail, so it's a good idea to carry a spare washer. I tried it today here at home with a couple spare garden hose washers, and they seem to fit and work fine with Platy or Evernew bladders, a plastic Aqua Fina water bottle, or the Sawyer mylar pouches. (also noted the older Platy bladders do not seem to thread as tightly into the filter and can leak at the connection, that seems to be an issue with using the filter with a Platy bladder, at least the older Platy bladders. Evernew bladders work fine as said here before.)

if anyone is bored, try doing a web search on plastic soda/water bottle threads!

Bags4266
05-23-2012, 05:48
Here's my 2-cents on the squeeze after a 3 week 440 mile section hike just recently. It was a pain when I wanted water, taking my pack off filling bladders which require a scoop of some sort, then attaching the squeeze, packing it all back up. Where if I was using Aqua Mira. I could just grab my gatorade bottle dip and be on my way I could then find a spot to treat my water to my liking. The squeeze seems good for 2-4 people. It also performed perfectly and I never had to backflush. But the chances for something to go wrong with the squeeze out weigh the aqua mira. I am keeping my squeeze but my next section the Aqua mira comes back.

jakedatc
05-23-2012, 11:46
not sure how the squeeze is any more complicated than Aquamira. AM you have to wait 30+ mins for it to take effect, longer in cold water and you are drinking out of the same bottle that you dunk in the stream... margin of error there?

squeeze you can use it to fill up a plastic bottle (either with the sport top nozzle or with a Tornado tube connector) or screw it directly on to a dirty side Evernew bottle and drink out of there or use it to store extra. There are a lot of connections you can make to get what you want.

Bags4266
05-23-2012, 15:22
never said it was more complicated, I inferred that it was more time consuming

leaftye
05-23-2012, 16:06
never said it was more complicated, I inferred that it was more time consuming

I suppose you're right if you mix the drops while walking and never wait for the water to be ready to drink.

Even when the above are done, it still means carrying more water since it's not possible to camel up at water sources without waiting.

ChinMusic
05-23-2012, 16:47
I suppose you're right if you mix the drops while walking and never wait for the water to be ready to drink.

Even when the above are done, it still means carrying more water since it's not possible to camel up at water sources without waiting.
This is why I have never gone the AM route. I could not imagine the waiting. I want to drink NOW.

jakedatc
05-23-2012, 17:40
" It was a pain when I wanted water, taking my pack off filling bladders which require a scoop of some sort, then attaching the squeeze, packing it all back up."

with AM you still need to have your water bottle out, AM out, drops of one bottle, drops of the other bottle, wait... i hardly think that squeezing a liter or 2 of water is slower than waiting for at least a half hour

"But the chances for something to go wrong with the squeeze out weigh the aqua mira. "

I still don't understand this bit either, how is something going to go wrong anymore than dunking your drinking bottle into untreated water? Any water that goes into your drinking bottle has been treated with the Sawyer

you can not like it but don't try to make it seem overly complicated/ time consuming or sketchy when it's not.

leaftye
05-23-2012, 18:11
That's why when I used Aqua Mira last summer in the Sierras, I was still using a scoop so the spout might not get dirty. Cleaning the spout requires wasting water to rinse it off, which again means carrying more water.

JaxHiker
05-23-2012, 18:25
The filter is only 3 oz. bladders are whatever size and weight you decide to bring. you would be bringing bladders with you no matter what you use to purify

Got mine last night and the scale read 2.4 oz for the filter alone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Miner
05-23-2012, 19:53
I think the comments about more to go wrong with it is the squeeze part of the filter system can develope a leak (in fact I've seen some comments about this hapepening on backpackinglight.com) though for the most part, people find it holds up just fine.

On my PCT hike, if I only need to fill my gatoraid bottles and not my platy resevoir, I did the Aqua Mira mixing while hiking to save time. You only have to stop to dip your bottle and can do the rest while walking. Whats the big deal about carrying a liter of water for several minutes before drinking it? I could understand if you have a heavy pack and that water became the straw that broke the camels back. But in that case, lighten you pack up!

Both the sqeeze filter and AM have their own advantages. As for whats best, depends on the person and the trail their hiking.

jakedatc
05-23-2012, 20:06
Well the leaking can be solved by not using Platypus brand bottles.

carrying a liter isn't the big deal, it's that you can't drink any of it right away. so if you run out, get to a water source, you're still without water until it is cleaning. Also, if you have close water sources you could not carry much at all and just keep drinking at the sources. depends what the trail gives you.

leaftye
05-23-2012, 20:46
Whats the big deal about carrying a liter of water for several minutes before drinking it? I could understand if you have a heavy pack and that water became the straw that broke the camels back. But in that case, lighten you pack up!

Because that means climbing out of the creek/river bed with that extra weight. The effect is greater with a lighter pack. I guess that's not all that bad though. It sure annoyed me last summer when I was doing trail work though. We'd take a break or lunch next to a creek. When it was time to pack up I'd want to refill my bottles. I'd already been cameling up, so it's not like I could just drink more. If I wanted more water, I'd have to empty a bottle first. That just doesn't sit well with me. It also meant I had to follow a treatment strategy with my bottles so I always had a bottle that was ready could drink out of. That annoyance was what made me such a big fan of the Squeeze. I did a hike later that year with my then new Sawyer Squeeze. I used it for the first time in the creek near Warner Springs. Note that I said "in the creek". I filled the bladder and drank all of it while standing in the creek. Then I filled it again and drank half of it. Then I filled it again and resumed hiking. I didn't have to carry extra water to the creek so I could drink while there, and I didn't have to carry any extra water out of the creek. I loved it. I haven't used AM since that hike.

ChinMusic
05-23-2012, 20:56
I did a hike later that year with my then new Sawyer Squeeze. I used it for the first time in the creek near Warner Springs. Note that I said "in the creek". I filled the bladder and drank all of it while standing in the creek. Then I filled it again and drank half of it. Then I filled it again and resumed hiking. I didn't have to carry extra water to the creek so I could drink while there, and I didn't have to carry any extra water out of the creek. I loved it. I haven't used AM since that hike.

That is the way I like to roll as well. Other than it being cheap I just do not see why AM is the dominant treatment choice. I won't choose it.

Praha4
05-23-2012, 21:24
I appreciate the loyalty many feel to Aqua Mira, it's what I've used the last 2 years without a problem. I had pretty much sworn off pump filters after using 3 different types, for obvious reasons. The Sawyer squeeze is the first filter I've decided to use again. Lightweight and very easy to use, and fast filtering time. I think one of the big advantages is you can filter and drink immediately without the waiting time for AM. But hey AM is great too.

Pumba
05-23-2012, 21:25
try amazon.com for the tornado tube.

Can someone possibly post a link to this item. I really have no idea what I'm looking for. :)

jakedatc
05-23-2012, 21:26
you never did this in Science class? come onnnnnn haha

http://www.amazon.com/Tornado-Tube-Tubes/dp/B0006Z8YBQ (http://www.amazon.com/Tornado-Tube-Tubes/dp/B0006Z8YBQ)

Pumba
05-23-2012, 21:36
ohhhhhhhhh. One of those things. Jeez, I thought it was something super fancy. Thanks!

jakedatc
05-23-2012, 21:38
nope, just the easiest way to get a adapter to connect 2 soda bottle sized threadings together

ScottS
05-24-2012, 00:19
I'm baffled how someone thinks the squeeze takes more time than aqua mira.

jakedatc
05-24-2012, 01:31
I'm baffled how someone thinks the squeeze takes more time than aqua mira.

It's whiteblaze.. some people think 5lb packs empty are fine too.. :rolleyes:

Bags4266
05-24-2012, 06:14
It takes more time cause you need to stop take pack off screw on, squeeze a qt, unscrew fold up bags be cautious dirty water doesn't touch clean water. Also when I need water but don't feel like taking time at a buggy or muddy side hill bank I can scoop a qt and move on till I find a more convient spot to purify instead of scooping water and filling bladders. Bottom line I used both, for extended periods and i like AQ better. Just my own opinion. I'll still use the squeeze it performed excellent.

jakedatc
05-24-2012, 08:08
you know a Squeeze can be attached directly to a soda bottle and drink right from it... so in your scenario you can skip any transfer and just use the dirty side as the bottle. (this is why i'm hoping to use either a 2 1L soda bottle system or 1.5L Evernew dirty side and a 1L soda bottle clean side versus a scoop/cut bottle that can't be closed)

http://gearjunkie.com/images/6369.jpg

msupple
05-24-2012, 11:08
I just hiked Springer to Damascus with mine and loved it. No leaks. I used the bags only for dirty water and squeezed water into a regular water bottle. I was also careful the way I squeezed the bag. I rolled it neatly from the bottom as I squeezed it which eliminates wrinkling and stress points. I brought two 0ne liter bags...one as a backup. I also cut the top off the half liter bag and used it as a scoop for dirty water...it worked great in the shallow streams. The regular bags are difficult or nearly impossible to collect water in shallow streams. Be forwarned. :) Take some sort of scoop to collect water.

Cat in the Hat

Odd Man Out
05-24-2012, 14:29
I just hiked Springer to Damascus with mine and loved it. No leaks. I used the bags only for dirty water and squeezed water into a regular water bottle. I was also careful the way I squeezed the bag. I rolled it neatly from the bottom as I squeezed it which eliminates wrinkling and stress points. I brought two 0ne liter bags...one as a backup. I also cut the top off the half liter bag and used it as a scoop for dirty water...it worked great in the shallow streams. The regular bags are difficult or nearly impossible to collect water in shallow streams. Be forwarned. :) Take some sort of scoop to collect water.

Cat in the Hat

Just curious. How are the AM users filling bottles in shallow streams. Is it just the collapsible bladders that need a scoop. Also, if the Squeeze is used with a non collapsible bottle (as in the picture by jackdatc), does it suck air back through the filter after each squeeze? If so, you would not even need to use collapsible bladders with the squeeze. Would be good to know since it would be a lot easier to find a replacement water bottle on the trail than a replacement bladder, in case of a bladder failure.

leaftye
05-24-2012, 14:31
Also, if the Squeeze is used with a non collapsible bottle (as in the picture by jackdatc), does it suck air back through the filter after each squeeze?

No. You can still use them in a pinch, but it's a hassle.

jakedatc
05-24-2012, 15:36
I just got mine in the mail. when using a soda bottle once in a while if you just break the seal between the filter and the bottle it puffs back up again. not a huge deal in a pinch.

aquafina bottle fit the threads.. Dasani did not.

hoping to do a dayhike this weekend to give it a test drive. with the stock 32oz bag i think for now.

ScottS
05-26-2012, 02:05
You also don't need a clean bottle/bag. Drinking direct from a softshell works just fine.

springerfever
06-03-2012, 00:15
Just an FYI. I found a great source for the Evernew Water Carry containers Company is SlideWright Tools & Wares. I just received 2 of the 600ml and 2 of the 2000ml that I ordered 5/26/12.

EBY205 (600ml) were 7.65 each and EBY208 (2L) were 9.41 each. Shipping $8.00 Priority Mail to the Atlanta area. Very impressed with the quality and design. Weights were 25g and 40g respectively.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.slidewright.com/evernew-water-carry-collapsible-water-bottle_eby20.html