PDA

View Full Version : waterproof or not?

Patton
05-20-2012, 23:03
When I hike in my waterproof boots, my feet are as wet at the end of the day as if I had been walking in rain from sweat. So the question is...Is it worth hiking in non-waterproof boots for the breathability during dry weather and do they dry out after rain and rivers enough to make it worth passing on the waterproofing?

Connie
05-22-2012, 13:17
If you are relying on GTX Goretex to provide breathability and waterproof-ness, the fabric will clog, maybe the same day, and it will not longer be breatheable.

That said, some non-waterproof hiker shoes are more fast-drying than others: some have an open-style construction, like Saloman Amphibians.

Looking at any hiker shoe I look this: Is the mesh open, or not? Are their drainage holes, in the arch area, or not?

I guess you can tell, I prefer fast-drying.

If I am hiking in mud, however, I wear VBL socks and rinse the mud and sand out of the hiker shoes at the first clear running water. If I know in advance it is going to be a mud-slog, I take pacs with a rubber waterproof foot section and breatheable tops.

Spokes
05-22-2012, 13:33
Waterproof boots are typically a waste of money on a thru hike. Most will breach within 10 days of constant wet conditions anyway. So get the biggest bang for your buck by choosing comfort in footware before waterproofing.

rocketsocks
05-22-2012, 14:17
I have a pair of all leather and Gortex boots.I like them very much,but would not use thes on a though hike for the reasons already stated.Now on a weekend hike or several days where I can be a little more desisive on where and when to hike (Rain or Shine,Hold-up or bail),then yes they are a great boot and good choice.But on a multi month hike with dead lines to be met,I go with the quwicker drying shoe.JM2c

bigcranky
05-22-2012, 18:16
Yes, mesh trail runners dry quickly after rain or water crossing. With a pair of thin wool socks, they are just the ticket for 3-season hiking, and some folks wear them in winter.

The whole concept of "waterproof boots" is something of a canard.

Tinker
05-22-2012, 18:39
Gore-tex or other waterproof (so-called "breathable") socks are always an option if you wish to carry them for times when you might only have one or two wet days in a row (on a section hike, mostly - for long-term hiking, plan on your feet being wet on a fairly regular basis).
You can choose waterproof or breathable when you have waterproof socks, and you will probably wear them out more slowly (since they aren't in your shoes 24/7/365) than a membrane built in to your shoe.

Tuxedo
11-03-2012, 02:37
many points stated are true and agree with but add that trail runners for a thru are best if your pack is under 35lbs and over 40lbs most will want/need ankle support.

Trail runners with GTX are great to hike in during light rain and puddle filled trail, feet stay dry and healthy for the most part. Problem is Ive walked in morning dew for 5min and GTX is useless from the top down and feet are drenched.

non-GTX trail runners leaves you with zero promise to break and dry faster. On a thru its possible to see 10days straight or more of rain, boots or any GTX shoe are not designed to help anyway.

leaftye
11-03-2012, 05:48
If you are relying on GTX Goretex to provide breathability and waterproof-ness, the fabric will clog, maybe the same day, and it will not longer be breatheable.

Not to mention that the extremely thin goretex liner will surely physically get torn or worn through.

many points stated are true and agree with but add that trail runners for a thru are best if your pack is under 35lbs and over 40lbs most will want/need ankle support.

My experiences have shown this opinion to be without merit. On the surface it sort of makes sense, but many trail runner shoes users, myself included, have found ankle strain to be reduced while wearing trail running shoes.

JAK
11-03-2012, 08:23
waterproof for day hikes, maybe, but for long hikes it is better to go with something that breaths very well, even drains really well, and absorbs very little water. You can always add some waterproof socks for flexibility when conditions call for it. Same idea with the backpack I think. You can always add a bag for a liner, but when things really get wet its sometimes better to be able to let the wet stuff drain. It's harder to get a good fit when you don't have as much built in cushion, but I think its better to use socks for cushion when you need cushion, and have trail runners or light hikers or whatever that don't have cushion that absorbs and hold water. Make sure they fit well with both thin socks and thick socks. Manufacturers don't like to make then without cushion because they are harder to fit and to sell in stores when not all cushioned, so you have to shop around and know what you are after.

Rocket Jones
11-03-2012, 08:32
I loved my Asolo Fugitive GTX ("waterproof") until water got inside. At that point, they became waterlogged bricks that refused to dry out. I still wear them for day hikes, like JAK says, but moreso to get full use out of them before they finally wear out enough to toss without feeling guilty because they cost so much. Other than that, no more "waterproof" footwear for me.

JAK
11-03-2012, 08:45
light unpadded leather ankle boots are fun to try also. Love the way leather manages moisture, but they don't have the traction or cushioned sole of trail runners without adding alot of weight or building them yourself. Easy to dry with fire that's an option.

garlic08
11-03-2012, 18:19
There is a place for Goretex, just not on my thru hiking shoes. I also have an old pair of Vasque Sundowners, Goretex-lined leather, and really like them in certain conditions.

The whole concept of "waterproof boots" is something of a canard. Quack!

adamkrz
11-03-2012, 18:57
Maybe not for a thru hike but This past Sept. my wife and I completed a 30 day section from CT. To N.H. and was glad we used gore tex trail runners ( salomon gtx ). They held up very well for the 7 days rain we had.

Many Moons
11-03-2012, 23:57
When I hike in my waterproof boots, my feet are as wet at the end of the day as if I had been walking in rain from sweat. So the question is...Is it worth hiking in non-waterproof boots for the breathability during dry weather and do they dry out after rain and rivers enough to make it worth passing on the waterproofing?

From what I saw on my first hike is, no on waterproof. Go waterproof if you want screwed up feet and toes. Hike On!!!

Miller