PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam Parking

kevin
04-08-2005, 21:43
Can anybody give me some feedback on the parking situation near Fontana Dam? I'm going to be starting a section there in late May and am planning to park the car there for about a week. Can I park by the dam visitors center and leave it there for a week or is the parking just for dam visitors (day parking)? Also, if it is okay to park the car there, is it a safe place? I know there are never any guarantees, just looking for if there have been any significant vandalism issues with cars parked for several days. Thanks in advance for the info.

Kevin

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 21:44
Why not drive accross the dam and park in the parking area at the trail head? I think you can park there a week safely as long as you take normal percautions.

Big Dawg
04-09-2005, 06:53
My section hikes brought me thru Fontana Dam in 2003/2004. Parking at the visitors center for a week will be fine, & a bit safer than tucked away in the small parking area near the trailhead. Overall, that area is safer than most, but I was told best to have my vehicle visible by all (including Dam Patrol personnel) near the visitors center to discourage vandalism. Call Jeff at The Hike Inn (near Fontana Dam) @ #828-479-3677 to check on the current safety of your vehicle at Fontana Dam. Enjoy your Hike!

chris
04-09-2005, 19:17
I've left my car in the Smokys, including the Fontana trailhead, for 3 days at a time without problems. One thing you might do is to check in at the Smokemont or Sugarlands ranger stations (the main ones) and tell them explicitly that you'll be leaving your car at Fontana for a week and give them your license plate number.

T Rex
04-12-2005, 12:49
Yes, I agree with James. I've left my car there at the Dam for a week 2 years ago, near the visitor center and it was fine. I went into the visitor center to tell them what I was doing and they said that was fine.

bulldog49
04-12-2005, 12:57
Yes, I agree with James. I've left my car there at the Dam for a week 2 years ago, near the visitor center and it was fine. I went into the visitor center to tell them what I was doing and they said that was fine.

I also always park at the Visitors' Center. One reason I don't park at the trailhead is I've been there when they close the dam to car traffic. You could get stuck at the trailhead with no way to get your car out.

anneandbenhike
04-12-2005, 16:12
We parked for a week at the Fontana Visitors center in mid-late June. We had no problems except that a couple (guessing) of mice took up residence in our trunk where hubby had left some extra peanut butter crackers by mistake. They shredded some paper from a map and made a nice little nest. A trap set on the trip home dispatched one and the other(s) disappeared!

kevin
04-12-2005, 22:42
Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for all the feedback on parking at Fontana Dam. Now just a matter of counting down the days until I get there :banana

Kevin

jonesat11
05-18-2005, 21:41
Last fall I parked my van at the marina before the dam. Good location and safe. I would not park at the trailhead if at all possible. The parking area by the dam is safe.

neo
05-18-2005, 21:54
i have parked at fontana dam parking lot several times,no problems at all:cool: neo

Jeanette
06-12-2005, 08:10
Is it free to park your car there?

Ridge
06-12-2005, 12:44
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6754/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

The fact that the dam could be closed to all traffic and the trail rerouted is as good a reason as any to park at the visitors center(see sign above). Also, the visitors center parking lot is probably a lot safer than the trailhead.

Happy Feet
06-28-2005, 16:45
We just left our vehicle at the dam visitor's center parking area for 8 days and all was well when we got to it. There were lots of vehicles there.

And of course the bonus: a free hot shower!

There were warnings posted against drinking the water and the drinking fountains were disabled. Apparently the equipment that treats the water is very old and failing, so don't count on filling your water bottles at the dam.

Tabasco
06-28-2005, 17:12
But...
the visitor's center sells ice cream and cold cold cokes

:banana :banana :banana

trailmercury
02-12-2007, 20:36
Hey Everyone,
I am in the initial stages of planning a section hike through GSMNP. I got a quote for 175.00 for a ride from Fontana to Davenport Gap (A Walk in the Woods out of Gatlinburg) and was wondering if this was a competitive rate or should I look elsewhere? Two of us plan to hike back to our car at Fontana. Anyone have any suggestions?

Any Comments would be appreciated!

TM

rainmaker
02-12-2007, 21:21
Hey Everyone,
I am in the initial stages of planning a section hike through GSMNP. I got a quote for 175.00 for a ride from Fontana to Davenport Gap (A Walk in the Woods out of Gatlinburg) and was wondering if this was a competitive rate or should I look elsewhere? Two of us plan to hike back to our car at Fontana. Anyone have any suggestions?

TM

There is a lodge ( motel ) just outside of Cosby and on the road to Gatlingburg that used to provide great deals on shuttles. They would use your vehicle to drop you off and then park it in their parking lot. I believe the name was the Laurel Valley Lodge or something like that and it was a fantastic place to stay.

tiamalle
02-12-2007, 21:22
Hey Everyone,

TMThat price is a little higher than most.I charge $135

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-12-2007, 23:26
Yes use Ron as he probably shuttles more hikers than anyone else I know except possibly Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn. Both are great people.

Hope to see you again this year Ron :) Keep my room ready

Max Power
02-14-2007, 15:19
Fontana Village does it for $120 for 2 people. Only reason we are a little cheaper then Ron is we don't have to drive as far.

trailmercury
02-17-2007, 11:40
"Fontana Village does it for $120 for 2 people. Only reason we are a little cheaper then Ron is we don't have to drive as far."

Hi,
About how much would it cost to go to Hiawasee, if we left from Fontana? What about places in between Hiawassee and Fontana that are accessible by road to drop off two hikers? We would like to do between 60-100 miles of the AT. We plan on staying at the Fontana Resort at the end of the hike regardless of which direction we hike there from.

Thanks,
TM

Small Steps
02-21-2007, 12:37
I am planning a section hike as well. I am going to leave me car at Fontana. I spoke with the TVA yesterday and they told me to leave a note the drives seat saying you are hiking and you will be back on this date.

With security the way it is now if you leave a car there for a long time they might tow it.

If you need to call the TVA the number is 877-829-1694.

blazercoach
07-09-2015, 23:22
I'd like to re-awaken this old thread since the last post was 8 years ago! I am planning to hike up to Fontana from Springer after leaving my car at the Fontanta Dam Visitor Center. Is this a good idea? Does anybody have tips on a better plan for leaving a car in the area?

HooKooDooKu
07-10-2015, 00:23
There have been many other threads on parking at Fontana... and they all pretty much say it's all good.

The only thing to check into is who (if anyone other than GSMNP rangers... but then the Dam Visitor Center is outside the park) you might need to let know you're parking at the dam long term and the car is not abandoned.

blazercoach
07-10-2015, 10:18
Thank you. I do plan to call them. Also...I did a site search for this topic and this is what came up. If you know of other specific threads, please let me know! It's like searching for a needle is a stack of needles sometimes. :)

TNhiker
07-10-2015, 10:41
TVA polices that area.....

you may be able to talk to them and let them know about your car.....

i have seen them parked at the building that's before you get to the visitors center on the left hand side of road...........

EMAN
06-19-2019, 10:09
Update for 2019: Still OK to park at the VC. Their words, " Just lock it and leave it".

centerfieldr162
06-19-2019, 13:22
I parked there in March for a three day trip and had no issues. Although.. I was worried about my car the entire time I was in the woods lol couldn't help it