PDA

View Full Version : Reciprocity of Trail Magic...

WIAPilot
05-21-2012, 12:08
There are obviously many kind and wonderful Trail Angels. Besides a sincere thank you, any ideas on how to give back to these well-meaning folks when you are the recipient of their generosity?

Mags
05-21-2012, 12:13
Send a thank you card with a photo from the end your journey is always a nice gesture.

jakedatc
05-21-2012, 12:17
give real trail magic back for someone who needs it. That is why the "new" definition is faulty. no one should plan trail magic given or received it should just happen. Trail feeds and shuttle services are nice things to do but they are not magic.

WIAPilot
05-21-2012, 12:57
give real trail magic back for someone who needs it. That is why the "new" definition is faulty. no one should plan trail magic given or received it should just happen. Trail feeds and shuttle services are nice things to do but they are not magic.

Let's not get into semantics again. I don't want this this thread hijacked again, so I'll rephrase this: Any ideas about how to reciprocate when someone does something kind for you on the trail like give you a ride, etc? I do really like the photo idea!

Moose2001
05-21-2012, 13:14
Let's not get into semantics again. I don't want this this thread hijacked again, so I'll rephrase this: Any ideas about how to reciprocate when someone does something kind for you on the trail like give you a ride, etc? I do really like the photo idea!

Mags' suggestion on the photo is one of the traditional ways to say thanks. I would also suggest sending them an email thank you or email updates on how you're doing. If you have a journal, you might mention them and their kindness there. I think the best way is just a sincere handshake and a thank you. Nothing says thank you like looking the other person in the eye and telling them how much their help is appreciated.

RWheeler
05-21-2012, 13:22
I think the best way is just a sincere handshake and a thank you. Nothing says thank you like looking the other person in the eye and telling them how much their help is appreciated.

I agree. It really shows that you're appreciative then and there, not just grabbing the goods and moving on, too.

Don H
05-21-2012, 13:39
I sent a thank you card with a photo of me on Katahdin and a personal note if I knew where to send it.
But there were lots of people that helped me that I'll never be able to thank. The lady that gave me a ride from Gatlinburg to Newfound Gap and gave me a big hug, telling me I reminded her of her son, the guy that took me to a store in Manchester when I was out of food and waited for me to resupply and then took me back to the trail, or the countless people who left trail magic along the way. How do you thank theses angles? Of course I thanked them all at the time but that doesn't seem to be enough.

I'm planning on doing some trail magic in a few weeks in southern PA. Just my way of paying it forward.

WIAPilot
05-21-2012, 13:49
Totally cool, Don H.