PDA

View Full Version : Winding stair gap to NOC

Josh Calhoun
05-21-2012, 13:14
i am having trouble finding where the access point at winding stair gap is. can anyone help me with this? i believe it is right off of a highway. and if so is there a sign showing the AT Crossing?

Gray Blazer
05-21-2012, 13:19
i am having trouble finding where the access point at winding stair gap is. can anyone help me with this? i believe it is right off of a highway. and if so is there a sign showing the AT Crossing?

This is an easy one. On Highway 64 west out of Franklin, right when you get to the top, there are pullouts on either side and there is an AT sign with the backpacker symbol on it. Hard to miss. If you start going down, you have passed it.

RWheeler
05-21-2012, 13:20
It's down the highway towards Franklin a little bit (compared to the southern trailhead, anyway), just before what I remember to be an access road with a gate. Look where the guardrail drops down.

Tenderheart
05-21-2012, 13:21
The access point is about 9 miles from Franklin, NC on US 64 toward Hayesville. There is a sign, but the best way is to look for a truck pull off at the top of the climb. The pull off will be on your left coming from Franklin. Hope this helps.

RWheeler
05-21-2012, 13:26
I should point out that my directions are if you're at the trailhead that you can take to hike South.

Whack-a-mole
05-21-2012, 14:37
If you are driving down the road and not paying attention you can blow right by this. It is very obvious if you are paying attention, but start listening to a jamming song, or "zone out" cause you've been driving 4 hours, you can miss it. If you see a gray Honda element there on Fri morning, say hello as that will be me starting a NB section! My wife will be dropping me off. I don't know what I'd do with out her!

Josh Calhoun
05-21-2012, 14:55
you should be a day ahead of me wackamole. i wont get dropped off until early sat morning. i will follow the foot prints haha

Whack-a-mole
05-21-2012, 15:53
I'm not the fastest hiker in the world, so keep an eye out for me. I'm 6-3 250lbs, short dark hair, glasses, blue osprey pack. If you see me give me a shout.

JaxHiker
05-21-2012, 15:54
The spring there is awesome!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Josh Calhoun
05-22-2012, 08:17
thanks for the help everybody.

@wackamole. i am going to try and do 15 sat and 15 sun and spend monday drinking beer and hanging out at NOC. but plans always change. if i see you i will give you a shout. im 6'2 long hair with a green ULA catalyst. see you on the trail

Kerosene
05-22-2012, 17:13
Great time of year to backpack this section. Hope you have good weather.

daddytwosticks
05-23-2012, 07:30
I'm hiking from Wayah Gap to the NOC starting on Saturday afternoon and ending right in time for a burger at the restaurant on Monday. Maybe I'll see you all out there. Happy hiking. :)

Josh Calhoun
05-23-2012, 08:12
sounds like its going to be a little white blaze reunion out there haha.