SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 21:54
Maryville, TN :D

Stoker53
04-08-2005, 22:40
Bryson City, NC

Footslogger
04-08-2005, 23:02
Tough call ...but if I had to pick one fast I'd probably say Harpers Ferry.

'Slogger

lumpy
04-08-2005, 23:45
Nellysford, Va.

MedicineMan
04-09-2005, 00:27
can you even call it a town, to me its like an old west town full of hoodlums and naredowels (sp?)...I'd choose Harpers Ferry, such a beautiful place and so full of history, the river confluence is especially enticing.

orangebug
04-09-2005, 07:45
New York City, although resupply for canister fuel is pretty lame.

Jack Tarlin
04-09-2005, 08:42
Hanover, NH

Lone Wolf
04-09-2005, 10:05
Damascus, Va.

lobster
04-09-2005, 10:24
Damascus, Va.
Lonewolf, you must be running for mayor with that comment!!

Lone Wolf
04-09-2005, 10:32
Vice Mayor. In charge of gambling, prostitution, strip joints, etc.

Smile
04-09-2005, 12:54
Bryson City, NC...

lumpy
04-09-2005, 13:27
New York City, although resupply for canister fuel is pretty lame.
Not really, just take the Lincoln Tunnel west bound to Secaucus, hold the empty cannister in the wind for say, 5 minutes and voila....refill!

neo
04-09-2005, 14:56
i thought lone wolf is the mayor of damascus va:cool: neo

bigcat2
04-09-2005, 16:13
Three cheers for Bryson City!! Woohoo :D . Of cousre I am totally biased as it is my current residense.

ferryman
04-09-2005, 17:29
The Forks, Maine USA or as we locals like to say "The Fox." RunRiverRun

minnesotasmith
04-09-2005, 18:06
Any place in America with Southern culture, Northern climate, Alaskan population density, mountains, forests, and pre-1912 political freedom.

Sounds like Alaska (other than Juneau) once she gets her independence...

http://www.akip.org/

chris
04-09-2005, 19:10
On the AT it would have to be either Maryville, Hot Springs, Wesser, or Asheville.

On the PCT, probably Idyllwild, Bishop, Mount Shasta City, Skykomish, or Stehekin.

On the GDT, definitely Field or Golden.

zephyr1034
04-09-2005, 19:16
Vice Mayor. In charge of gambling, prostitution, strip joints, etc.============================================== ===============

In Damascus? Where, Lonewolf? Just kidding LOL

I like it just fine here in Pearisburg. I can see cows out my bathroom window. I live in a county with FOUR TRAFFIC LIGHTS. I never want to live anywhere again where there's traffic. Super Wal Mart has almost everything I need. I can walk there if need be, although it's a road walk. If I need anything else, I can go to Blacksburg or Christiansburg for it, or order it on line.

I can see the case for Harper's Ferry. It has commuter train service that provides easy access to Washington DC. Unfortunately, the Ferry has gotten expensive as the Washington area keeps pushing outward.

Tom

2XL
04-10-2005, 15:37
What's the price of real estate in trail towns?
I'm sure they are not all $$$ like Kent and Salisbury CT.

LEGS
04-10-2005, 20:20
HEY ,LW. I'LL 2ND THAT ONE FOR SURE. HELL IT HAS FIVE TRAILS CROSSING RIGHT IN TOWN AND COUNTLESS OTHERS WITHIN A FEW MINUTES WALK OR RIDE. ALSO HAS 2 MAJOR STREAMS CUTTING THREW TOWN ON THIER WAY TO WHEREVER, CAN'T THINK OF ANY PLACE FINER .
DA LEGSMAN !!!!! SEE YA SOON !
Damascus, Va.

wacocelt
04-10-2005, 21:07
Asheville, NC.

stomparound85
04-10-2005, 21:11
I'd have to go with my home town Wytheville Va. this gives you access to the trail ranging from 20 minutes to an hour. You have Bland access 20 min away, Atkins and Groseclose 20 min, MT. Rogers 45-min to and hour, Damascus 45- 1 hour, Pearisburg, Roanoke, man the list goes on. NOt to mention the New River Trail 20 min away, as well as the Creeper, iron, and Va Highlands Horse Trail. :banana :clap :bse

Sleepy the Arab
04-11-2005, 15:10
I guess I'd have to go with Damascus, as it is getting too chilly up here in New England for this old body. Come to think of it though, I wouldn't mind anywhere on the AT from Hampton TN to Catawba VA.

K-Bear
04-11-2005, 15:15
I'm moving to Bryson City, N C the first week of june

The Solemates
04-11-2005, 15:33
Catawba valley, SW VA.

Mountain Hippie
04-11-2005, 15:36
Damascus, I lived there on and off in 78 and 79.

ArkVol
04-11-2005, 19:00
Knoxville is nice, even thought its not right on the trail.

Nobody is for Gatlinburg? :p

MOWGLI
04-11-2005, 19:06
Warwick, NY

ShakeyLeggs
04-11-2005, 23:26
Boiling Springs PA

LEGS
04-12-2005, 00:34
YOU DA MAN K-BEAR, JUST BE AWARE OF THE DEW!!!!!
I'm moving to Bryson City, N C the first week of june

utley
04-12-2005, 17:49
Lexington, Virginia..... a short drive from Buena Vista and the trail. Nice town that has always felt like HOME even know I'm not from there.

owl
04-12-2005, 22:19
I do live in a special town on the trail but i don't want it made too public

so you will all have to just guess, I walk on the trail every day even when i'm not hiking

Jack Tarlin
04-12-2005, 22:56
Hey, Utley, good to see someone mention Lexington, which I'm not sure anyone ever has here at WB. Beautiful, friendly little town, with lots to see and do: The Virginia Military Institute, one of the country's finest colleges, is here, as well as the beautiful Washington and Lee campus; you'll also find the graves of two great Americans, generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. Jackson. (Lee was a college president in Lexington after the War, and Jackson was an instructor at VMI before it. If you're interested in the War of Northern Agression, this is a remarkable place to visit; along with the Sharpsburg (Antietam) and Gettysburg battlefields, Lexington is one of the most historicaly significant places on or near the Trail).

Skyline
04-12-2005, 23:27
Konnarock or White Top Virginia, not too far from Damascus. In fact I had my eye on some land near Konnarock but it got away from me last year. I hope to buy some land in that area, or maybe NE Tennessee or Western NC with an eye toward future retirement.

Damascus is nice but I can't see living right in a town.

solace
04-12-2005, 23:54
:welcome San Fransisco, CA!!!! Heck Yea!

Caleb
04-13-2005, 01:27
Truthfully the whole appalachian corridor is a little too civilized for me, including the AT. I don't even know why I'm here half the time, except that I'm bored and I happen to live real close to the trail. I grew up on the AT in MD and VA, and have now hiked most of it, but outside of the Whites, Bax, and the long stretch in NC outside of SMNP, the trail doesn't have a whole lot of appeal. The towns as well are a bit too groomed and over-peopled for my liking. Even the really sweet little towns like Bryson City, Ashville, HArpers Ferry..they are all many charmed but they tend to get me claustrophobic ina hurry..I don't know why this is..I grew up on a farm and i sure appreciate big tomatos, pleasent neighbors and pastoral settings, but all it takes is one streetlight or barking dog or steady traffic to yank my heart back to the wilder places on the map...so I go there too. but when I do my hiking thing up here in the Whites, I actually go out of my way to blue blaze just so I can have some peace and quiet. When I retire to some unknown holler I'm gonna tear up the road behind me and I'm never coming out. Am I crazy? My great-grandmother was crazy. The last ten years of her life she raised chickens and never left her house. She ate eggs and chickens and went from room-to-room re-reading old newspapers. Must run in the family.

bigcat2
04-16-2005, 14:49
K-Bear~ An early welcome to the big city of BC :) . I think you'll enjoy here in the little town in the shodow of the Smokies. Give me a holler when you get up here if you want to. Until then.

Lion King
04-16-2005, 18:26
Vice Mayor. In charge of gambling, prostitution, strip joints, etc.
I was going to say North Woodstock/Lincoln New Hampshire where I lived for 2 years previously...but if Wolf is handling these issues, Damascus.

Rancid
04-16-2005, 21:05
I'd have to agree with Ferryman, Forks would be a beautiful place to live. After the Sept. gathering there last year, I fell in love with that part of Maine and I'm planning another hike there this fall.
If I happen to move there, I would probably have to have a winter home in Damascus, I am getting sick of snow.

c.coyle
04-17-2005, 12:20
Boiling Springs PA

No, no, no, no, no. Pennsylvania's awful. The hiking stinks. Every trail in Pa. is a clone of the AT. Non-stop rocks from end to end. Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here. ;)

Peaks
04-17-2005, 18:45
No, no, no, no, no. Pennsylvania's awful. The hiking stinks. Every trail in Pa. is a clone of the AT. Non-stop rocks from end to end. Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here. ;)

Hey, I'd consider moving back to PA.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

shades of blue
04-17-2005, 20:04
I could be wrong, but I think Coyle was being facetious.

c.coyle
04-17-2005, 20:14
Hey, I'd consider moving back to PA.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

:eek: Hey Peaks. This icon - ;) - means my tongue is in my cheek.

I figure every thru and section hiker whose only Pa. hiking experience is that awful, rocky AT will assume that all Pa. trails are just like it, thereby leaving a less crowded Black Forest, Susquehannock, Loyalsock, Mid-State, Laurel Highlands, Tuscarora, Thunderswamp, Donut Hole, etc., etc. for me.

Pennsylvania. One big rockpile. :D

Daddy Longlegs
04-17-2005, 22:34
I could see my family and I moving and settling down in the Damascus area to be near the trail but also WV mountains near VA looks the best but it is still a few years off....

Peaks
04-18-2005, 07:30
:eek:

Pennsylvania. One big rockpile. :D

I always assumed that the reason why NOBO's complain about PA rocks is that they have not had much to bitch about recently.

Nean
04-18-2005, 08:54
I've been lucky enough to live close to the trail for several months at several places. I spent a winter a few miles from Grafton Notch-and loved it. 15 miles from DWG in the Poconos, no. Harpers Ferry I really enjoyed but just too many tourist to consider staying longterm and for some reason I always loved visiting Hanover. Now we live in the woods close to Owl and get to watch the trail go by either underfoot or out the window. Hot Springs is nearby so we have the best of both worlds- real and man made. Our dream is to have a place on each LDT and live at each place according to the season!

Just Jeff
04-18-2005, 09:51
I've been to very few places that make me really REALLY want to live there. I was in Asheville again this weekend, and just like last time I felt the urge to pick up and move.

Then I went to the hiking sale in Black Mountain and got $500 worth of jackets for $150 and almost went insane.

Super Wal Mart has almost everything I need.
Oh, you've done it now! (That other thread...) :jump

walkin' wally
04-18-2005, 17:50
Monson Maine is my choice. Long quiet winters.