PDA

View Full Version : Early Summer in the whites

peakbagger
05-21-2012, 15:41
Barring a major pattern shift, the weather in Northenr NH is easily two to three weeks ahead of normal conditions. There are still snow fields up high but with the exception of a few notable spots, they are not an issue.

I was out hiking this weekend and got "scorched", Despite sun screen, it was hot enough that is got sweated off. Despite having extra water, I am other members of out group ran short on water. The bugs are out to the point where DEET was needed as the various natural alternatives werent effective. No head nets yet but it would be worth having one just in case.

Do note it still can get cold at night, there is still a chance of frost given the right conditions. When hiking along the ridges it can still be below freezing wind chill conditions. Last weekend I was at Madison hut an had to put on extra layers and a balaclava due to wind and temperature, so you still need cold weather gear.

The scary thing is with a low snow winter, water sources may not be as plentiful as normal years.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the summer shapes up.

I guess its time to go do some AT boundary work now that the woods are drying up (of course just in time for bug season).